IGNORED

Tennis

Miner Willy

The pearl-clutching Beeb didn’t even show the post-match handshake. Wimbledon would be a lot more enjoyable if the rights went to a different broadcaster.

6 minutes ago, glb said:

The pearl-clutching Beeb didn’t even show the post-match handshake. Wimbledon would be a lot more enjoyable if the rights went to a different broadcaster.

They did show the handshake in the post-match punditry!

But does the BBC control which camera angles are shown live? Or is it like other sporting events like the Olympics, where a different organisation controls the live feed that gets sent to all broadcasters? (I remember when Christian Eriksen had a heart attack at Euro 2020, the fact that the local broadcasters couldn't cut away to different camera angles was brought up a lot.)

5 minutes ago, Nick R said:

But does the BBC control which camera angles are shown live? Or is it like other sporting events like the Olympics, where a different organisation controls the live feed that gets sent to all broadcasters? (I remember when Christian Eriksen had a heart attack at Euro 2020, the fact that the local broadcasters couldn't cut away to different camera angles was brought up a lot.)

i suspect the beeb are responsible for the footage and editing. Don’t see why Wimbledon or someone else would do it: it isn’t an atp or wta event.

What’s all this about Nadal being annoyed by a grunting noise made by Sonego? Pick a different sport, man. It sorta comes with the territory. Unless Sonego hit out with some otherworldly Cthulhu style scream or something? Any clips of it?

16 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Us filthy casuals had switched over in disgust by then!

Think they do their own coverage because the event is in the UK and as one of the sporting ‘Crown Jewels’ the championships is probably budgeted for production-wise; the World Cup, Olympics and a few other competitions like the Premier League and Champions League have world feeds that are shared by broadcasters, who then apply their own comms and graphics and sometimes add a studio to localise the content.

Wimbledon Broadcast Services, took over the role of host broadcaster of The Championships in 2018. WBS provides multi-camera coverage of all 18 Championships courts, with Centre Court in UHD/HDR.

With approximately 35 broadcasters on-site, rights holders receive their feeds via a ground-breaking IP infrastructure alongside global distribution to some 200 territories.

Glad I'm not the only one who found the pearl clutching from the commentators unbearable last night. Somehow it was Kyrgios who should have been defaulted despite as far as I can tell breaking no rules. What he does to wind up his opponent is often gamesmanship and it's not pretty, but I couldn't see anything illegal in it. 

"No one wants to see this on a tennis court"... When actually someone with some character rather than the dull robotic Djokovic's of this world is exactly what we want to see. 

Kyrgios all the way for me.

1 hour ago, Miner Willy said:

Not seen Sinner play on grass before, and I expected his game wouldn't fit that well, but he's looking like a potential champion right now. Incredible hitting and returning.

He's goating, hitting lines and serve bombs for 3 sets, it's crazy.

My six year old son returned from school today telling me that all creatures are related, and how disgusted he is to discover he's related to Boris Johnson and Novak Djokovic. Good lad. 

Well, this is all exceedingly enjoyable. I assume Sinner will tighten up at some point, but at the moment Djokovic doesn't know what to do against the quality of tennis coming his way.

I wouldn't rule it out but I do think Nadal is going to be very motivated to avenge that Indian Wells defeat. Should result in a good match in any case.

Assuming Nadal is struggling physically that's really disappointing for him, but I do love the way he steps up his aggression when he's concerned about his body. His hitting has just gone up another level - it's incredible.