IGNORED

Tennis

Miner Willy

More and more astonishing with every match. I think this may now put her into the top 50 and make her British no. 1? I couldn't find any live rankings that I trusted to be sure.

Yeah, amazing. I think it sightly diminishes what she's doing when people (not necessarily here) keep saying she's fearless. She's absolutely feeling it - you can see that both at the start here, and also trying to close out several matches this tournament. The thing about being the underdog and playing with nothing to lose is that it only works until you approach the finishing line and actually have something to lose. What's incredible is how well she's playing through that - she's coping with it so well.

Was saying the same to my wife earlier. The most impressive thing is absolutely the manner in which she's approaching it and coping. There are plenty of players who've had freak runs, playing out of their skins and going all out for everything, but that's not sustainable. That's not what Raducanu's doing at all - she almost seems to be playing within herself now, if anything, controlling matches and making experienced opponents absolutely crumble in the process.

15 minutes ago, hmm said:

Was saying the same to my wife earlier. The most impressive thing is absolutely the manner in which she's approaching it and coping. There are plenty of players who've had freak runs, playing out of their skins and going all out for everything, but that's not sustainable. That's not what Raducanu's doing at all - she almost seems to be playing within herself now, if anything, controlling matches and making experienced opponents absolutely crumble in the process.

its the way her opponents seem to end up staring at their racket in disbelief, even after starting well and looking like they’re controlling it, that I’m finding most impressive.

fernandez last night was great, and has been playing a far tougher draw (the missing qualifying games not withstanding), but you’re not seeing that same level of wtf.

32 minutes ago, Miner Willy said:

Yeah, amazing. I think it sightly diminishes what she's doing when people (not necessarily here) keep saying she's fearless. She's absolutely feeling it - you can see that both at the start here, and also trying to close out several matches this tournament. The thing about being the underdog and playing with nothing to lose is that it only works until you approach the finishing line and actually have something to lose. What's incredible is how well she's playing through that - she's coping with it so well.

I'm using fearless to describe her style, she is always trying to hit winners or get into the position to hit a winner, she doesn't play percentage tennis which is a joy quite frankly.

I don't see it as taking anything away from her, I think it describes the way she is playing perfectly, not that she isn't tightening up but that she goes for her shots regardless. Many players don't do this, or do and fail miserably.

I don't disagree especially, and you already explained that we're talking about different interpretations of "fearless". However, I think it's simply not the case that she goes for her shots regardless of the situation: she noticeably tightened up on big points towards the end today, and has done so in other rounds. In some respects she was helped out by Bencic making bad unforced errors in those two 0-30 games at the end, but that's not to take anything away from her; anyone would feel the pressure and it would probably be worrying if she didn't tense up a little. What I like is that she doesn't seem to dip for long, and it never feels like she's teetering on the edge of a major lapse; and her technique doesn't seem to go even when she does lose some of her usual aggression.

Just watched the full match from last night. Even if I don't think that was Sakkari's best tennis, I think it was Raducanu's best performance of the tournament. If anything the scoreline didn't do justice to the gap between them on the night: she was pretty much perfect from start to finish.

14 hours ago, Miner Willy said:

Just watched the full match from last night. Even if I don't think that was Sakkari's best tennis, I think it was Raducanu's best performance of the tournament. If anything the scoreline didn't do justice to the gap between them on the night: she was pretty much perfect from start to finish.

She reached a level after the first three games that was awesome but it certainly wasn’t a perfect performance - she started really shakily on her serve again, and a better player would have taken those two early service games off her. Seven break points came and went for Sakkari! I don’t think that Emma can afford to do that for a third match in a row, and surely it’s something she’ll be working on. If she started at anything like the level she gets to, she’d usually be winning the first set before her opponent knew what hit her.

But once Emma was into Friday’s match, she was playing some phenomenal stuff. Her positional play is excellent - she always seems to have time to choose her shot, and even though she rarely volleys, when she does her level of control is utterly sublime. Some barely believable winners, too.

I dunno; there are two players on a tennis court, and in slam semis the other one tends to be fairly decent. Even the best performances at this stage will have errors, dips and chances for the opponent - that's inevitable given the margins and fact that the opponent is doing their own thing and having their own swings etc.

The serve has got a tiny bit shaky at times, but it's not like a case of the yips or anything. Everyone gets tight and everyone makes mistakes - it's just unrealistic to expect anything else. The performance the other night was amazing and I think a repeat of that level will see her through this evening. 

Starting to read the new Billy- Jean King autobiography in advance of the main event this evening.  One of my  childhood  heroes.  Just the 39 Grand Slam titles, the  battle of the Sexes, the beginning of financial equality for women in the sport and much more.