IGNORED

Tennis

Miner Willy

25 minutes ago, Miner Willy said:

He's a really exciting player - I could watch his backhand all day. Clearly Djokovic is a massive favourite, but Shapovalov has the kind of game to beat anyone - you don't take Rafa to the wire on a clay court without the ability to hit huge shots with relentless consistency. An interesting semi!

Yeah I was really happy to watch him prevail I've always liked his style I hope he can challenge Djokovic and play with the same determination he showed today.

Yeah, I hope he doesn't do anything drastic off the back of that. I'm doubtful he can win another slam at this stage but a run to the Wimbledon QFs is hardly too shabby, especially off the back of his last 18 months, and he's clearly got a while yet of remaining competitive at the top if he still fancies it.

Yeah, in such circumstances QF is a great result for just about anyone but Federer. But just bring competitive isn't enough at this stage. He'll only play if he thinks he can win big tournaments, and realistically Wimbledon is by far the best shot he has. Next year he'll be close to 41! I think he'd have had a chance this year with this draw if he'd just had a couple more months of matches behind him.

Shame that Djokovic - Shapovalov isn't the final, I think. Out of the remaining three, he seems to me the most likely to be in with a shout. And also, at the same time, if he does prevail it doesn't feel quite right to not have Djokovic in the final. I suppose they were focusing on keeping Djokovic and Federer apart.

Berrettini was very good, glad to see it. Denis v Djoko has started off very interesting, Denis with the early break Djoko looking a bit shaken. I still think he'll overturn this but just how much of his energy will it require?

Christ alive, this is such a one-sided final at the moment. It always frustrates me that we so rarely have a decent women's final, despite the fact that the tournament itself has seen some absolutely brilliant matches on the ladies' side.

13 minutes ago, hmm said:

Decent, if very nervy, final in the end. Delighted for Barty - she seems like such a great person.

I'm really pleased she won in the end. I don't think it was a great final, and neither seemed to be able to be able to completely bring out the best in one another. However, Barty was the better player and I think over the tournament she's been most deserving of the title for sure.

Plus, as you say - she seems like a really decent person!

Berrettini had a couple of big opportunities after that point but you always felt that Djokovic had it in hand.

Can't begrudge the guy the win - he's been undeniably the best player in the tournament - but he can't really go expressing surprise at the lack of adoration when he grinds out these wins playing at 85% effort and trying to draw errors from lesser opponents.

My perception of the lack of adoration is that he has none of the class of Federer nor the passion of Nadal. He’s not particularly entertaining to watch and his mood at the final reminded me of a panto villain. He almost seems angry at the crowd “why don’t you fucking respect me??” without realising that he’s completely unsympathetic. The things he says in interviews, his sheer arrogance, turn a lot of people off. He’s one of these “I’m a victim” people. Blaming all sorts of reasons as to why the crowd don’t like him on anything other than the fact he acts like a spoilt, petulant, arrogant teenage boy. 

He might have every record under the sun, but someone like Federer is going to be the “people’s king” of Tennis and remembered for decades, which is a bit of a shame for Novak.

But the tournaments are in front of a crowd. It’s a public show. You can either get them on your side (naturally, ideally), or have them feel somewhat reluctant that they “have to watch him again”. There’s a lot to be said for behaviour in public, and when playing sports. Would people prefer Federer as a role model for their child or Novak, no matter who the better tennis player is? It’s also branding, you’re a publicly recognised person of interest.

• 1 month later...

Federer has elected to have further knee surgery - seems to me it was probably never quite right after the previous surgeries, given how long the comeback took and how out of sorts he remained. I presume he's not likely to be back before at least the clay or maybe even the grass season next year and I have to think this might be it for him now, at the top level. I suppose that's not really a surprise after his last couple of years, but it's no less of a shame. I just hope that Nadal's relatively poor year and injury problems are more temporary.

I heard about this while watching the Montreal women's final, incidentally, and Giorgi has been absolutely outstanding all week, pretty much out of nowhere. Hoping for a decent men's final next, after thankfully a fatally dull Opelka - Isner match up was avoided.

Yeah, it's worrying and his statement was pretty downbeat. I guess the good news is that it confirms his commitment: you don't go through a surgery knowing you'll be away for "many months" if you're not planning to come back and compete. Probably Australia will be too soon, so I assume we're looking at a clay comeback with a view to peaking for Wimbledon - so much like the plan was this year. 

Very much hoping we get at least one more season of competitive tennis out of Federer and Murray. I'm less concerned about Nadal: his seems no worse than he's had to deal with on many occasions previously, and I'm certain he'll be a contender through next year's clay season at least.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Murray was brilliant, especially to mount that third set resurgence, but he still ultimately defeated himself there. When a match is this finely poised, and when he needs to be so close to 100% to win, you can't go letting every external factor disturb your game to that extent.