IGNORED

Tennis

Miner Willy

4 minutes ago, Darren said:

Yes, she seemed amazingly grounded in her interview afterwards, and the worry is that won’t last long once the machine gets its claws into her.

I think that was most of the joy of it - she was  obviously having the time of her life playing out there.

On 01/07/2021 at 13:58, hmm said:

There are a few in the draw that'll give him a game, and he's developed a bit of a habit of making pretty lacklustre starts to matches lately and having to come from behind;

Much like Rafa and Roger(when he was at his prime) Novak has gears he's not even entering to conserve energy. He'll ramp up when necessary, the only way he loses is if he comes across a huge server who has a perfect game, Rublev might have a chance, Khachanov would if he wasn't so inconsistent. Berritini or Zverev, I just can't see it personally, Novak is having an amazing year and none of these guys will stop him I feel, and I say that begrudgingly as I'm not his biggest fan.

52 minutes ago, Minion said:

Much like Rafa and Roger(when he was at his prime) Novak has gears he's not even entering to conserve energy. He'll ramp up when necessary, the only way he loses is if he comes across a huge server who has a perfect game, Rublev might have a chance, Khachanov would if he wasn't so inconsistent. Berritini or Zverev, I just can't see it personally, Novak is having an amazing year and none of these guys will stop him I feel, and I say that begrudgingly as I'm not his biggest fan.

As I recall, you originally said it was a flat tournament as nobody could challenge him, but have now listed four guys who, I agree, could (on their day). He's obviously the favourite by a mile, but I don't think for a second that Djokovic Vs the field is a foregone conclusion on grass. I'd probably take the field with that bet, even at this stage.

I think it's a fascinating tournament, personally. 

6 minutes ago, Miner Willy said:

As I recall, you originally said it was a flat tournament as nobody could challenge him, but have now listed four guys who, I agree, could (on their day). He's obviously the favourite by a mile, but I don't think for a second that Djokovic Vs the field is a foregone conclusion on grass. I'd probably take the field with that bet, even at this stage.

I think it's a fascinating tournament, personally. 

Fair enough I was overly pessimistic in that first post, I'll put it down to mid week blues as I'm not having much fun at work at present so pretty negative during the week. Rublev will be interesting, he has the game to definitely challenge him but whether he can perform on centre court is another matter I think. It's a shame Medvedev doesn't seem to perform as well on grass as on hard as he definitely has the game to win and beat Djokovic. I still think he is the very heavy favourite though, I'll be surprised if he doesn't win the tournament, that disqualification at the US last year really woke Djokovic up, he's been immense ever since.

4 minutes ago, hmm said:

Pretty sure Shapovalov would give him a run for his money too.

For me Shapovalov is a player who clearly has the skills and game to win tournaments, but he's unfocused and open to lapses, he's underperformed in his career because of this, it's a shame he's an excellent player. Cilic is actually looking pretty dangerous right now, haven't seen him play like this for a while.

53 minutes ago, Miner Willy said:

Shapovalov is only 22! Plenty of time to develop the mental side and win tournaments.

Or he's 22 and his best result is a QF at the US and other than a 4th Round at the US never been past the 3rd in any other slam. It's brutal but then that's tennis. I'd be shocked if he won a slam.

No, I don't think that's brutal so much as an unrealistic level of expectation for such a young player in an incredibly tough era. And of course people were famously saying similar of Federer until he won one at 21.

He might have slams in him, or he might be another Dimitrov, but I think it's way too early to say which with anything other than a wild guess.

32 minutes ago, Minion said:

Or he's 22 and his best result is a QF at the US and other than a 4th Round at the US never been past the 3rd in any other slam. It's brutal but then that's tennis. I'd be shocked if he won a slam.

Murray was late twenties? Warwinka was late twenties?

(It’s not women’s tennis)

I don’t quite get why you get 17/18 year old women through to round four, but not 17/18 year old men?

48 minutes ago, Minion said:

Sure, but the subject wasn't necessarily who will ultimately win as can someone knock Djokovic out so that he doesn't? I think it's perhaps more likely to happen - if it's going to at all - before the final because there'd be that bit less pressure. And I think that someone like Shapovalov or Rublev is absolutely capable of hitting the level necessary to surprise Djokovic in a single match if he's not fully on it from the get-go, as in a number of recent matches. (Of course, someone else like Medvedev or Zverev is far more likely to then actually go on to win it.) So really, this was just a continued response to your original suggestion of the tournament being a dull march towards Djokovic's inevitable crowning - I don't see it that way, and even if it does happen then I'd say it'll be because the guy is inhumanly good, not because the opposition is wholly lacking.

On the other hand, I did have hopes of seeing a committed, if quite probably ultimately unrewarded, performance from Murray when I was there yesterday, and he didn't really turn up at all, so I'm also prepared to accept this is all just wishful thinking.

Well, Boris Becker won it at 17, so it's not like its an unknown for all time thing. That's a long time ago, though. 

I'd guess that power and endurance play a bigger role in the men's game, particularly in the 5 set Slams. I would further guess that the general slowing of the courts compounds it because it increases how much you can get back in court and lengthens things further. 

At 17 or 18 those attributed are still developing. I don't think it's unique to tennis, you don't really see that many teenagers break through in football. It's usually early twenties. 

On 28/06/2021 at 13:41, feltmonkey said:

From 2-0 and 5-0 up to clinging on at duece on his own serve trying to stay in the third set, with the nagging feeling that if he loses this set he'll lose the match.  Vintage Murray.  He loves to make it interesting.  :lol:

Murray should just go all in on the doubles circuit with his brother, everyone loves a good sibling doubles team 

Oh well looks like she's going down, she's played amazing though, credit to Tomljanović for coming out here and being very professional in what is also a big moment for her.

Edit: Oh no defaulted and didn't come back, poor girl.

22 minutes ago, Fitzcarraldo said:

Looked like a panic attack to me. If it was, can't imagine having one in that situation.

To be fair as the match started she seemed to hold her chest and looked a bit like she was on the verge of hyperventilating, so yeah I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of it, sometime a panic attack can have intense reactions on your gut too. Waiting all day to then play in front of a tired but faithful crowd probably didn't help the nerves either. I hope she can move on quickly, Wimbledon is such an intense tournament compared to the rest, look what it did to Murray for many years, in fact I think of all the tournaments Wimbledon is the one which make players crumble into bags of tears more than any others, so many examples over the years. 

That was heartbreaking for Emma, I hope it was “just” a panic attack from the immense occasion and pressure, and nothing more serious. Hopefully she can learn from it and come back stronger. She was such a ray of sunshine on Saturday.

They were just interviewing her on the BBC now and she was saying it was breathing related, but that she hadn't had a more specific diagnosis. So quite possibly anxiety related.

She really is absolutely remarkable. Such an incredible experience for her, in terms of both peaks and troughs, and the next day she's calmly discussing it live on the BBC, talking about how this has been the best week of her life, highlighting all the positives, and thanking everyone for the support and the opportunity. I really hope the press leave her alone for a while now and let her go play in some other tournaments and gain some more experience in comparative peace, without too much weight of expectation.

19 minutes ago, Miner Willy said:

Heh, I fancied Fucsovic to give Djokovic a real match today. He's getting munched so far.

Yeah I did too after his perfomance yesterday, he looked like he was playing a proper grass court serve volley game that could trouble anyone, I even considered putting a cheeky fiver on him at 15/1, glad I didn't! 

He's a really exciting player - I could watch his backhand all day. Clearly Djokovic is a massive favourite, but Shapovalov has the kind of game to beat anyone - you don't take Rafa to the wire on a clay court without the ability to hit huge shots with relentless consistency. An interesting semi!