rllmuk
Hubertus Bigend

Tennis

On 13/11/2019 at 15:16, Miner Willy said:

I'm wondering when Medvedev last missed a backhand. It might well have been last year.

I could do with him winning a lot tomorrow, and Nadal winning, just so Federer is first on court on Saturday.

4 minutes ago, footle said:

I could do with him winning a lot tomorrow, and Nadal winning, just so Federer is first on court on Saturday.

You have tickets? Wish I'd got them this time - the tennis has been consistently great. This tournament is often a bit hit and miss.

Incredible tennis from Federer tonight - completely dominated Djokovic from the start - I definitely wasn't expecting that outcome. 

I was lucky enough to be there tonight. Djokovic was way off his best but you can only play as well as you’re allowed to play. If that’s the last time I see Federer play live I’ll take it! Great performance. That serve. That forehand. Wow! 

4 hours ago, Miner Willy said:

You have tickets? Wish I'd got them this time - the tennis has been consistently great. This tournament is often a bit hit and miss.

Incredible tennis from Federer tonight - completely dominated Djokovic from the start - I definitely wasn't expecting that outcome. 

Since it’s only on this and next year we’ve gone for first semi and final, rather than Friday afternoon, this year. But it does always feel like a gamble: will any of the players still be standing by Saturday, let alone Sunday?

5 hours ago, hellsbells said:

I was lucky enough to be there tonight. Djokovic was way off his best but you can only play as well as you’re allowed to play. If that’s the last time I see Federer play live I’ll take it! Great performance. That serve. That forehand. Wow! 

Man, so jealous. To get to see him play like that live, and I bet the atmosphere was amazing too.

1 hour ago, Miner Willy said:

Man, so jealous. To get to see him play like that live, and I bet the atmosphere was amazing too.

It was. Loads of Swiss flags so plenty of support for Fed as you’d expect. I think it was ramped up even more than usual due to what happened at Wimbledon. 

Think it got to Djokovic even more than usual and he looked pretty dejected when he walked off but from what I’ve read he’s seemed magnanimous about it all.

Yesterday my four year old son identified Federer on TV and started chanting, "Roger, Roger, Roger!" 

Shame he fucking lost, but still - a memorable moment. Next step is to program him to believe two-handed backhands are evil. 

• Upvote 1

I don't follow tennis that much but even i know the one handed backhand is a thing of majestic beauty by an effortless master and the two handed backhand the grunting struggle of a pretender.

I hope you tell your 4 year old that, be a master not a pretender, a master not a pretender! Now lets play lego.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Shoes said:

What a final! Tsitsipas is a superstar.

it was great. We had competing Dominic / Tsitsipas chants going.

also we got out to catch the boat back to central London at 9 without getting too knackered, which means I don’t have to get on the tube.

The Murray documentary on prime is really good. Also, an awful lot of boring looking gym work and gore.

On 30/11/2019 at 06:53, footle said:

The Murray documentary on prime is really good. Also, an awful lot of boring looking gym work and gore.

You're right: it's brilliant. Really moving and inspirational. 

Yeah, that was pretty tense. There's something about Millman that makes him really uncomfortable for Fed. Even when he was on top it didn't feel at all comfortable. Great match!

Just hope it hasn't taken too much out of him.

Big result for Dominic Thiem today knocking out Nadal in 4 sets. It was an impressive performance and he's really showed how much he's improved in the last 12 months.

Should be an interesting semi-final between him and Zverev. Big opportunity for both players to get to a slam final - even though Thiem has the experience of 2 previous FO finals of course.

The question is..will it be Djokovic or Federer from the other semi? I fancy Djokovic because he's looking so consistent but Fed has a real chance and showed in the Wimbledon final how much he can still trouble Djokovic. Although the AO is a different surface and so, different match tactics and the speed of court come into play.

Looking forward to both semis.

Yeah, that was a great match, though I don't think it was anything new from Thiem really - he's been knocking on the door for ages, and this is Rafa's weakest slam. I actually think slower courts this year played to Thiem's advantage in this match. I hope he can make the final from here - but the good thing is that either of those guys can take a match away from any opponent, so the final should be interesting at least.

I give Federer very little chance in the semis. Djokovic looks in a different league right now, and Fed seems likely to be impaired or tired to some degree. The only faint hope is that it clarifies his mind and he just plays carefree perfect tennis.

I'm not feeling that actually, as I'm basically expecting a very routine Djokovic victory, so there's none of the usual tension. Federer had an amazing run to get this far - I'm actually kind of enjoying the prospect of a big match without any expectation at all. Sadly I'm on a train then in a meeting all morning, which was crappy timing, so I'll follow the scores and then watch it back later. 

I always loved the quote from Steve Tignor about an underdog playing like you have nothing to lose: it only works until you have something to lose. Probably applies pretty well to Federer's serve in that game. 

Heh, I turned on at 5-2. It all started to feel a bit inevitable once Fed's serve went missing. Djokovic looking really good now. 

Tragically, my train is delayed so I've been able to watch it all since 5-2 first set. It's hard to think what Federer can do here - aside from never miss a first serve. 

I'm not too disappointed really. Federer had a good tournament overall, and Djokovic really was brilliant for much of the match. He looks pretty much unbeatable when he plays like that.

I'm all in for Thiem now - gotta get behind the one handers. 

• Upvote 1

Wow. This has been great. Even 2-1 up I still don't give Thiem better than 50/50 to close it out, but he's been so impressive so far.