rllmuk
Hubertus Bigend

Tennis

I thought that was an encouraging start from Murray. He's clearly miles from where he needs to be, but he competed and improved as it went on. It's just a question of whether the hip holds up and permits him the mobility he needs; the fitness and match sharpness will return if so. 

• Upvote 1

Is there any way of somehow setting up my internet so it never ever shows me anything to do with Nick Kyrgios ever again? He is the most boring professional sportsperson on the planet but somehow there seems to be a news article about him being a douchebag every single day. It's worse than the trolls in the Labour thread.

Having got past Cilic you have to think that only injury could now prevent Nadal reaching the final. That's as kind a slam quarters and semis line-up as he could have wished for.

I'm desperately hoping for a Federer-Nadal US Open meeting at long last - their first meeting there, and probably with the all-time slam total on the line too.

Sounds like Stan is finding some of his pre-injury form and could have a say, although chances are he’d have to beat Nole, Fed and Rafa in the same slam to win, which is pretty much the ultimate God-tier nightmare difficulty sporting boss rush!

Medvedev is very much the real deal. Not sure I like his chances against Rafa if they were to meet in the final, but he has a chance against anyone else  Assuming Federer meets him in the semi, I don't expect anything like the Miami drubbing this time - Medvedev has gone up several levels since then. 

Some of Nadal's points in last night's match against Cilic were absolutely unreal. That shot past the side of the net for the penultimate point!

Christ these two are taking ages, I'll fall asleep before Rafa gets on at this stage. Credit to Danill for taking the set, that's why he's been winning so much this year, he seems to have that champions mentality to not give up as Grigor was definitely playing better tennis but just a few too many errors.

Got to hand it to Danill, takes the second which was much higher quality than the first and managed to tame the amazingly flashy tennis Grigor is playing, I feel sorry for poor Dimi.

Medvedev is a genuinely brilliant player. Perhaps the best backhand in the game right now. I fear for him slightly against Nadal given how tired he must be, and of course what happened the other week, but that seemed mainly like nerves - on paper you'd expect he has a game that should match up pretty well with Nadal's. I really hope it's a contest at least. 

1 hour ago, Miner Willy said:

Medvedev is a genuinely brilliant player. Perhaps the best backhand in the game right now. I fear for him slightly against Nadal given how tired he must be, and of course what happened the other week, but that seemed mainly like nerves - on paper you'd expect he has a game that should match up pretty well with Nadal's. I really hope it's a contest at least. 

Yeah he's been so impressive this year, I was genuinely surprised that Rafa absolutely destroyed him in Montreal the other week. If Rafa gets through this match I reckon Danill will give him a better fight as he not only has amazing skills but he appears to be a very thoughtful and cunning tactician.

1 hour ago, Miner Willy said:

Tactical masterclass from Nadal. I think Medvedev would probably beat anyone in the world this evening - except the one guy he has the misfortune to be facing.  

Yeah Nadal has nullified him so much, he's not even at the top of his game with lots of errors but he is playing the match perfectly, saying that though Danill has just earned himself at least a tiebreak in the third...

I fully expected Medvedev to run out of steam at the start of the 4th, but Nadal actually looks more tired right now. Nadal still massively the favourite, but it's suddenly very interesting.

*gets up, notices guardian min by min, checks latest*

Fifth set: Medvedev 5-7, 3-6, 7-5, 6-4, 1-0 Nadal

Medvedev holds easily to open the fifth.

ohh

Bear in mind: Nadal’s record at major tournaments when leading by two sets is 205-1, while Medvedev’s lifetime record in five-set matches is 0-4. The Russian is attempting to become the first player to win from two sets down in a US Open final since Pancho Gonzales won 16-18, 2-6, 6-1, 6-2, 6-4 over Ted Schroeder in 1949.

oh..

I've never seen a player play so out of his skin for so long. The guy is just making insane shot choices and pulling them off against one of the greatest players who is playing really fucking well. I don't think anyone could out play Medvedev these last two sets. He's hit maybe 1 unforced error for every 50 insane outrageous winner. His 1st serve returns are like from another era.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, barkbat said:

I've never seen a player play so out of his skin for so long. The guy is just making insane shot choices and pulling them off against one of the greatest players who is playing really fucking well. I don't think anyone could out play Medvedev these last two sets. He's hit maybe 1 unforced error for every 50 insane outrageous winner. His 1st serve returns are like from another era.

He's basically the new Djokovic, if he continues this form for the next few years then he'll be the new boss, it has been an insanely impresive performance, he did this against Stan here earlier this week so i am not massively surprised.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, amazing from both. Medvedev is way out in front of the other young guys - a future number one for sure.

I think it would have been great for tennis if he'd got it, but Rafa's continued brilliance isn't a bad story either. 19 slams..? I'll probably have to revise my view that he won't catch Federer now. 

That's a pretty moving video I think. I've always really liked Clijsters, so it will be great to see her playing again - though I'm a little concerned this may not go brilliantly. She was a great player, and her first comeback was inspirational; and while do I agree that the likes of Serena, Venus and Federer are challenging what is possible in players' late 30s, at the same time it does feel like a younger group of players are really starting to move the women's game on in the past year or so. I guess just enjoy it while it lasts and hope she can defy expectations again.

On 12/08/2019 at 22:42, Miner Willy said:

I thought that was an encouraging start from Murray. He's clearly miles from where he needs to be, but he competed and improved as it went on. It's just a question of whether the hip holds up and permits him the mobility he needs; the fitness and match sharpness will return if so. 

The last two sets today he was *so* much better than then, it surprised me.