rllmuk
Hubertus Bigend

Tennis

Crazy. I feel exhausted, so I can't even think how those players must feel now. Federer especially, since he played so well but bottled the big moments.

I wanted Federer to win, but it was surprising and disappointing just how extremely one-sided the crowd were against Djokovic. All that booing when he argued against that challenge towards the end!

Not being a close follower of the sport outside of the late-rounds of Wimbledon, I'm not sure what exactly so many people in the crowd had against him?

4 minutes ago, Nick R said:

I wanted Federer to win, but it was surprising and disappointing just how extremely one-sided the crowd were against Djokovic. All that booing when he argued against that challenge towards the end!

Not being a close follower of the sport outside of the late-rounds of Wimbledon, I'm not sure what exactly so many people in the crowd had against him?

He's not Federer. That's all it is. The crowd love Roger.

• Upvote 2

After all that Roger doesn't even get the solace of being involved in the most dramatic final played in London on Sunday July 14th.  Genuinely gutted for him, but what a game. What a day for sport. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Federer gets the Crowd when he’s playing Murray.  It’s nothing against the opponent, it’s just they’re all Federer fans.

Ah well. Gutted, but it's ridiculous we still get to enjoy Federer playing at this level at his age. Have to enjoy the experience, even if the result wasn't what was hoped for.

• Upvote 6

It's a tough one to take as he had match points at 8-7. I feel the crowd kinda distracted him as they were going mad, he really should have won that set.

21 hours ago, Minion said:

It's a tough one to take as he had match points at 8-7. I feel the crowd kinda distracted him as they were going mad, he really should have won that set.

Yeah it will haunt him I think. There was a guy getting out a big camera at the match points and everything. 

Thought this was quite interesting. Not saying Federer is mentally weak by a long shot, but he doesn't seem to quite have that unflappable, robotic resolve under maximum pressure that Djokovic does.

• Upvote 1

I think that's fair, though with a couple of caveats:

1. I reckon Federer's losses are backended to his mid/late 30s. I can name a bunch of these, and they're all late in his career. I believe - and I've read theories on this - that it's the mental intensity that goes missing as players get older. I distinctly remember author Pete Bodo, who wrote a book with Pete Sampras, talking about Sampras' views on this at some length.
  2. I think it's harder to remain consistent and close out matches as an aggressor than as someone who can revert to counter-punching when things get tight. I have no evidence whatsoever for this, and it probably betrays some personal bias.
  • Upvote 1

Actually, I can't think of as many as I thought, and some of them aren't that late. Off the top of my head I got:

1. Wimbledon 2019 - Djokovic
  2. US Open 2011? - Djokovic
  3. US Open 2012? - Djokovic
  4. Wimbledon 2018 - Anderson
  5. Madrid (?) 2019 - Thiem
  6. Montreal or Cincinatti 2012 (?) - Tsonga
  7. Miami 2018 - Del Potro

This is a good quiz! I think Fed lost after reaching match point in one of his early losses to Nalbandian, though I can't remember where/when.

Amazing news that Murray is ready to play singles in Cincinnati. It will be so great to see him play.

In other news: incredible play from Medvedev to take Thiem apart today. He's not a beautiful player by any means, but when he gets going I think he looks a certain future number 1. He's like Djokovic crossed with Gilles Simon, but with the wingspan and serve that come from being 6 foot 4. He must be a monster to play, I guess unless you can bamboozle him by mixing up the pace and spin as effectively as Federer did in Miami. 

• Upvote 2

Looks like Medvedev is going to reach the final without even being tested this week. Will be really interesting if he plays Nadal in the final.

On this form he's looking the most likely US Open contender outside the big three.