21 hours ago, Minion said:

It's a tough one to take as he had match points at 8-7. I feel the crowd kinda distracted him as they were going mad, he really should have won that set.

Yeah it will haunt him I think. There was a guy getting out a big camera at the match points and everything. 

I think that's fair, though with a couple of caveats:

1. I reckon Federer's losses are backended to his mid/late 30s. I can name a bunch of these, and they're all late in his career. I believe - and I've read theories on this - that it's the mental intensity that goes missing as players get older. I distinctly remember author Pete Bodo, who wrote a book with Pete Sampras, talking about Sampras' views on this at some length.
  2. I think it's harder to remain consistent and close out matches as an aggressor than as someone who can revert to counter-punching when things get tight. I have no evidence whatsoever for this, and it probably betrays some personal bias.
  • Upvote 1

Actually, I can't think of as many as I thought, and some of them aren't that late. Off the top of my head I got:

1. Wimbledon 2019 - Djokovic
  2. US Open 2011? - Djokovic
  3. US Open 2012? - Djokovic
  4. Wimbledon 2018 - Anderson
  5. Madrid (?) 2019 - Thiem
  6. Montreal or Cincinatti 2012 (?) - Tsonga
  7. Miami 2018 - Del Potro

This is a good quiz! I think Fed lost after reaching match point in one of his early losses to Nalbandian, though I can't remember where/when.

• 4 weeks later...

Amazing news that Murray is ready to play singles in Cincinnati. It will be so great to see him play.

In other news: incredible play from Medvedev to take Thiem apart today. He's not a beautiful player by any means, but when he gets going I think he looks a certain future number 1. He's like Djokovic crossed with Gilles Simon, but with the wingspan and serve that come from being 6 foot 4. He must be a monster to play, I guess unless you can bamboozle him by mixing up the pace and spin as effectively as Federer did in Miami. 

• Upvote 2

I thought that was an encouraging start from Murray. He's clearly miles from where he needs to be, but he competed and improved as it went on. It's just a question of whether the hip holds up and permits him the mobility he needs; the fitness and match sharpness will return if so. 

• Upvote 1

Is there any way of somehow setting up my internet so it never ever shows me anything to do with Nick Kyrgios ever again? He is the most boring professional sportsperson on the planet but somehow there seems to be a news article about him being a douchebag every single day. It's worse than the trolls in the Labour thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Having got past Cilic you have to think that only injury could now prevent Nadal reaching the final. That's as kind a slam quarters and semis line-up as he could have wished for.

I'm desperately hoping for a Federer-Nadal US Open meeting at long last - their first meeting there, and probably with the all-time slam total on the line too.

Medvedev is very much the real deal. Not sure I like his chances against Rafa if they were to meet in the final, but he has a chance against anyone else  Assuming Federer meets him in the semi, I don't expect anything like the Miami drubbing this time - Medvedev has gone up several levels since then. 

Christ these two are taking ages, I'll fall asleep before Rafa gets on at this stage. Credit to Danill for taking the set, that's why he's been winning so much this year, he seems to have that champions mentality to not give up as Grigor was definitely playing better tennis but just a few too many errors.

Medvedev is a genuinely brilliant player. Perhaps the best backhand in the game right now. I fear for him slightly against Nadal given how tired he must be, and of course what happened the other week, but that seemed mainly like nerves - on paper you'd expect he has a game that should match up pretty well with Nadal's. I really hope it's a contest at least. 

1 hour ago, Miner Willy said:

Medvedev is a genuinely brilliant player. Perhaps the best backhand in the game right now. I fear for him slightly against Nadal given how tired he must be, and of course what happened the other week, but that seemed mainly like nerves - on paper you'd expect he has a game that should match up pretty well with Nadal's. I really hope it's a contest at least. 

Yeah he's been so impressive this year, I was genuinely surprised that Rafa absolutely destroyed him in Montreal the other week. If Rafa gets through this match I reckon Danill will give him a better fight as he not only has amazing skills but he appears to be a very thoughtful and cunning tactician.

1 hour ago, Miner Willy said:

Tactical masterclass from Nadal. I think Medvedev would probably beat anyone in the world this evening - except the one guy he has the misfortune to be facing.  

Yeah Nadal has nullified him so much, he's not even at the top of his game with lots of errors but he is playing the match perfectly, saying that though Danill has just earned himself at least a tiebreak in the third...