rllmuk
Hubertus Bigend

Tennis

1 hour ago, Minion said:

It was his abuse towards the umpire I was talking about, it was rude, aggressive and sustained. I’m not sure why he wasn’t penalised or even later fined. 

He got a code violation - that's a warning.

Nadal didn't get a code violation for cheating so...

40 minutes ago, footle said:

He got a code violation - that's a warning.

Nadal didn't get a code violation for cheating so...

Rafa wasn’t cheating he was within the 25 seconds allotted every time. Regardless the point I made was that people seem quite happy with his antics but when other players behave badly they get vilified. See Fognini, Tomic, Serena etc...  Remember this is the guy who said things about Stans girlfriend and how she had been ‘fucked’ by another player, he’s a pretty disgusting arrogant prick and I’m just surprised that a lot of people are fine with this. He epitomises toxic masculinity. 

2 minutes ago, Minion said:

Rafa wasn’t cheating he was within the 25 seconds allotted every time. Regardless the point I made was that people seem quite happy with his antics but when other players behave badly they get vilified. See Fognini, Tomic, Serena etc...  Remember this is the guy who said things about Stans girlfriend and how she had been ‘fucked’ by another player, he’s a pretty disgusting arrogant prick and I’m just surprised that a lot of people are fine with this. He epitomises toxic masculinity. 

The 25 seconds comment here relates to Rafa's serving; not his delaying tactics returning. If his opponent wants to play quicker then the rules say he should be ready to receive.

Also, I think this discussion has been focused on his behaviour yesterday. I don't think anybody has said they are happy with some of his past behaviour.

I don't have a problem with Nadal - or his so called "time wasting". I like watching him and prefer to focus on the qualities that have won him 18 grand slams. He's a great competitor. 

• Upvote 1

I have huge appreciation for Nadal on and off the court, but I much prefer matches with a faster flow. The rules say the returner should be ready to play at the server's speed. It's perfectly understandable that Nadal would try to interrupt Kyrgios's rhythm by slowing things down - I see the fault completely with the umpire, who failed to enforce the rules.

Anyway, I'm off to Wimbledon tomorrow and the line-up looks great. There's no way we're getting Nadal/Tsonga on court 1, but we might get Federer/Pouille as there are also really strong ladies' matches competing for Centre. I reckon Nadal/Tsonga, Stephens/Konta and then one from either Federer/Pouille or Serena/Georges will be on Centre. If so, we should get either Federer or Serena on Court 1, which would be amazing. I'd also be delighted with one of Sousa/Evans or Berrattini/Schwartzman for dessert. :)

• Upvote 2

I think you may be lucky and get Rafa V Tsonga as they like putting the GOAT on centre as much as possible, if not then you’ll get the GOAT so it’s a win win! Looks amazing you lucky man, have fun!

Pleased Hurkacz got a set - he deserved that. He's going to be a very decent player.

In other news, we get to see Serena/Georges, Konta/Stephens and Sousa/Evans tomorrow. Would have loved Federer or Nadal if I were being greedy, but still: that's a cracking lineup. 

Fifteen year old. FIFTEEN. :o

Gotta feel for anyone Gauff plays against cause everyone on her side so much.

I know winning the tournament is probably never going to happen but would love to see her get to the quarters at least.

Shes so humble too.

32 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Fifteen year old. FIFTEEN. :o

Gotta feel for anyone Gauff plays against cause everyone on her side so much.

I know winning the tournament is probably never going to happen but would love to see her get to the quarters at least.

Shes so humble too.

She's genuinely the most impressive new tennis player I've seen. Male or female quite honestly. The upcoming men currently seem incapable to knocking the oldies off the top spots on a regular basis, and - for me at least - women's tennis hasn't had anyone able to consistently up their game enough to come close to how Serena was. I'd high hopes of Osaka becoming really, really great but it would appear she's going through a bit of a blue patch at the moment, which is a shame. 

Very exciting though!

Great day yesterday. I was hoping centre would overrun so we might get Murray/Serena on our court, but in the end we got two fantastic matches on Konta/Stephens and Evans/Sousa.

Ironically, my two favoured players lost: I think both Evans and Stephens are really lovely players to watch. Evans has such variety in his game, and Stephens has grace in her movement and loose hitting - and she can do so many different things with her forehand. Both could and probably should have won in straight sets - it was really blunt lesson in the importance of taking the opportunities when you're on top. I think Evans was up a break early in four or perhaps even all five sets played. 

Serena's match wasn't great, but amazing to see her up close. It's interesting that she almost completely shuts down between points: first she stops moving, then slowly ambles across the court as if conserving every ounce of energy - and then as soon as the point starts she explodes into action and moves brilliantly - far better than I ever thought she did. 

• Upvote 2

Christ alive.

Jo Konta is literally The female version of Tim Henman.

Bags of talent, plays great but then wobbles all over the place.

Complete lack of consistency makes her incredibly frustrating to watch.

• Empathy 1

Oh God, really? I hate how misunderstood Henman's career was and still is. He was one of the game's great overachievers. Top 10 in the world for most of his career; grand slam semifinalist at three slams - all achieved playing serve & volley with balls to the wall commitment to coming in behind a serve that actually wasn't big enough to get him out of trouble - unlike those he was competing against.

• Upvote 4

It's fascinating to watch Serena Williams play mixed doubles. I reckon she could have won a few slams on the men's circuit. She's comfortably the best player on the court, and returning Fabrice Martin first serves for winners. 

13 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

It's fascinating to watch Serena Williams play mixed doubles. I reckon she could have won a few slams on the men's circuit. She's comfortably the best player on the court, and returning Fabrice Martin first serves for winners. 

Yeah, she's a fucking force of nature!

So, I had similar thoughts watching her, about how her phenomenal strength and power - not to mention skill - would surely mean that she could be competitive in men's tournaments. However, this seems to be discussed a lot online and many claim that, for example, rankings-wise, she would have been well into the thousands, even at her peak. I was pretty surprised that the gulf could be that large and I'm not sure I completely buy it. And of course, there are at least a couple of factors in her case that might lead certain people to be less than fair about it...

(She's amazing either way, obviously.)

Can't say I'm overly optimistic about Federer's chances in the semis. When Fed was on top of Nadal a couple of years back I felt the aggressive backhand return was the key. Recently he's hardly been doing it all, instead reverting to chipping it back. Even if he can suddenly just switch back into attacking, Nadal's serve feels bigger, more accurate, and more varied. I'd love to be wrong, but I have a strong feeling for Nadal here - in fact, I might even say the top semi is in more doubt, where I certainly don't expect Bautista Agut to win, but I think he will really surprise people.

Completely agree. As much as I’d love it to be a classic I think Nadal will win in straight sets. As competitive and closely matched as they’ve been I’ve over career I can’t remember ever being truly surprised about the result when they’ve played. 

I have also resigned myself to Nadal winning.

On the plus side I'm going to Wimbledon for the second time this year, managed to scoop tickets to the women's final (first time I've entered the ballot!).

I saw Halep demolish Azarenka in week one and I think she's got a good chance against Serena. That being said I hope that Serena can do it though if only to put Margaret Court to bed.

If by the time they've all retired Nadal has won the most grand slams, will he be considered the GOAT? If not, how many more grand slams than Fed (or Djo) would he have to win?