IGNORED

Tennis

Miner Willy

In their defence we've had such a true golden age in the men's game this past decade that it's not really fair to compare the two really, but I agree that far too many women's finals are dreadfully one-sided affairs. This one was hugely disappointing. :(

It's not just been the last decade in the men's game though. Just before that we had the Sampras/Agassi era from the mid-90s, which was at the time talked about as a golden era too. There was a lot of depth in the men's game then too. During that period the women's game was much stronger than it is now.

As long as the womens game is three sets you're always more likely to get one sided affairs because a bad set and a half and your almost out whereas the mens game played over five gives a lot more opportunity to recover.

This was a little different to the normal women's walkober. Lisicki choked badly here. Bad serves, mistimes, near breakdown in the middle of the second set, the works. I worry about the damage done because she played some great stuff prior to the final.

The problems of the power game also seem magnified on the women's side. You get a few ridiculously athletic women and they just power the rest off the court. I don't know if speeding the courts would help, but it couldn't make it worse.

Also I much preferred the Sampras Agassi era on the men's side. Genuine clash of styles, non homogenuous surfaces and a pack that wasn't as far behind a few crazy superhumans.

As great as the five setters like the djorkovic semi final can be, a bit of me wonders if they are chasing down all these impossible shots because the courts are too slow to really hit winners.

This was a little different to the normal women's walkober. Lisicki choked badly here. Bad serves, mistimes, near breakdown in the middle of the second set, the works. I worry about the damage done because she played some great stuff prior to the final.

The problems of the power game also seem magnified on the women's side. You get a few ridiculously athletic women and they just power the rest off the court. I don't know if speeding the courts would help, but it couldn't make it worse.

Lisicki is a power player tho, only one who comes near the Williams serve for example and lets not forget Bartoli had the same white wash against her back in 2007 - if anything you get more variety in winners in the Womens game even if the standard and gulf in quality is far below the mens.

The real issue is the sexist payscale what with the women earning far more on a per game basis ;)

Lisicki is a power player tho, only one who comes near the Williams serve for example and lets not forget Bartoli had the same white wash against her back in 2007 - if anything you get more variety in winners in the Womens game even if the standard and gulf in quality is far below the mens.

The real issue is the sexist payscale what with the women earning far more on a per game basis ;)

I agree. Make the women play 5 sets too!

There isn't anything in those tweets that I haven't seen posted here about sports stars, other forumites - or worse, celebrity R.I.P threads. This place can be just as vile.

[citation needed]

John Inverdale did it as well... live on the BBC in front of millions :facepalm:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23214821

Thing that wound me up with that is the bottom of the article where some nob journo goes and questions her on said comments. Equivalent of school ground "john thinks you are ugly...ner ner"

The twitter abuse is just a sad sign of how open social media is for shit opinions from some socially inept fuckbags. Hopefully she can ignore those fools.

Shes not that bad looking really! And well done yo her!

that 25-shot rally a few minutes ago, at break point on Djokavic's serve - is it just me or did one of Djokavic's shots land a couple of inches out on the right sideline? the crowd reacted, but Murray played on, and the ball was called in. i guess it was probably an optical illusion.

Murray needs to take one of these bloody break points.

ok, there's definitely something weird going on with the line judges and umpire. there was an incident a couple of minutes ago where the umpire called the ball out and was ignored by everyone. the line judges have made a number of questionable calls, not favouring either player. Djokavic got away with one, but Murray was given an "ace" that was an inch or so wide. if the players weren't seemingly reluctant to use their challenges, the scoreline could be quite different.

edit - what a hold that is! nerve-shredding. hopefully Murray can engineer another break from Djok's 0-30 here, as i don't fancy watching him trying to serve out for the set.

ok, there's definitely something weird going on with the line judges and umpire. there was an incident a couple of minutes ago where the umpire called the ball out and was ignored by everyone. the line judges have made a number of questionable calls, not favouring either player. Djokavic got away with one, but Murray was given an "ace" that was an inch or so wide. if the players weren't seemingly reluctant to use their challenges, the scoreline could be quite different.

I did like the way they disregarded it and kept playing like mofos

You wouldn't have thought Djokovic was the one who'd played the five-setter. He's barely showing any fatigue from these long rallies, whereas Murray is huffing and puffing already. The end of this set can't come soon enough for him, he's giving it everything he's got, but looks like he really needs a break.