Morning all,

I've just logged back on to the forum after faffing around on a couple of Taito's classics - Rastan and The Newzealand Story.

In my opinion they're still wonderfully crafted games, with a really nice graphical style, and catchy (for the limited hardware) music.

Anyway, it got me thinking that back in the 80's Taito seemed to be everywhere. Their games filled arcades up and down the country, and it was always exciting when you got to play a new Taito title.

Meanwhile, in the home, Ocean was constantly porting (and usually, to a high standard) their titles to the home computers of the day. The Spectrum version of Chase HQ is still a technical marvel, and the Amiga version of Pang is a stunner.

Fast forward to now, and apart from the Taito retro packs (released by Empire) for the Xbox, I don't have any recent releases of theirs in my collection.

Do Taito even have a European console output of any shape or form?

It baffles me how such a once mighty games producer can more or less vanish from the scene.

Or have I missed something and they're actually still churning out some great stuff?

To try and find out more I started digging around the Taito site, and stumbled upon "Battle Fantastia". The web site doesn't seem to have any screenshots, but YouTube throws up loads of footage. I have absolutely no idea what the heck is going on in the game, but the graphics look absolutely gorgeous, and show that Taito certainly seem to have lost none of their style.

Next up is 'Dino Max'. The cab for this looks absolutely stunning, and I have no idea what the heck is going on. It seems to involve eggs in possibly some sort of Pokemon style game. The cab and the game indicate that Taito are still keen to innovate.

Well, there's no real point to this post. Just that it's a shame that us European gamers seem to be starved of Taito's offerings. Perhaps it's their own fault. Maybe they lost too much ground in the 90's to the likes of Sony, Capcom, Namco and Sega?

Rob

Bubble Bobble = Pure gem of a game

Yeah i love all the taito platformers like new z story etc. Pure classics

I think there shmups were good but not quite as good as there other stuff. Im having regrets of selling my layer section though :angry:

back in the 80's Taito seemed to be everywhere. Their games filled arcades up and down the country, and it was always exciting when you got to play a new Taito title.

This. Arcades died, so Taito wasnt so profitable, first and formost they are an arcade game maker, with ports to home consoles. A great company with a wider catalogue than just Space Invaders and Bubble Bobble they they get remembered for.

Taito were bought out by Square Enix in 2005, see the wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taito_Corporation

Some ex-Taito employees went on to start G.Rev who made Border Down, Senko No Ronde and helped Treasure on Ikaruga & Gradius V:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.Rev

I used to love the Taito games, especially Rastan & the Darius series.

Cheers for the links. Very informative/interesting. I had no idea that G.Rev were at one time part of Taito.

There's also Furu Furu Park for Wii, that features past Taito characters.....

link

I receiced it yesterday, but am currently playing Go! Go! Minon for Wii. I'll post some impressions of Furu tomorrow in the Discussion forum.

they are still producing the pc based type X arcade board, which has been used for a few of namco's more recent games, and their own spica adventure a few years ago.

They're definitely a shadow of their former selves -their NES output was pretty weak , but they dominated the arcades in the 80-90's.

Ninja warriors was graphically years ahead of its time, and it's 1st level stage music "daddy mulk" is still one of my all time fave game themes.

big ups for taito and zuntata...

Well, Karnov rocked better then Rastan ever did but i think people only recall Rastan because it had a good home conversion and Galway music but yes...i loved Karnov in the arcade (a local Video shop in Wimbledon Chase had it eons ago). I loved the power ups you could use.

Defo. a true classic ten platformer IMO.

Actually i recommended Boogie wings in the MAME list only the other day.

But yes Asura your kinda right....

Robocop

Midnight Resistance.

Joe n Mac

Magical Drop

And not forgetting Burger Time of course.

Well, Karnov rocked better then Rastan ever did but i think people only recall Rastan because it had a good home conversion and Galway music but yes...i loved Karnov in the arcade (a local Video shop in Wimbledon Chase had it eons ago). I loved the power ups you could use.

Defo. a true classic ten platformer IMO.

Actually i recommended Boogie wings in the MAME list only the other day.

But yes Asura your kinda right....

Robocop

Midnight Resistance.

Joe n Mac

Magical Drop

And not forgetting Burger Time of course.

Pah! Mere trifles. What about all their rip-off 2D fighters? :huh:

It rings a bell but I can't seem to find any info on it
on NES?

developed by natsume, published by taito.

Aye! Published by Taito indeed. Back in the day we didn't know any better and thought it was made by Taito as well. So that makes it not a Taito game I guess.

Here's a video.

You still play Rastan?

Maybe its the mame version thats wrong. I mean, i just found (via Mame) that many Taito games had something missing from the gameplay.

I'm not taking all of them, but they had.....well bad animation for a start. As if many of the object routines/animations were basically 2-5 spirtes where as other games had 20-30 per object.

So that lost that kinda smooth tactile feel.

You still play Rastan?

Maybe its the mame version thats wrong. I mean, i just found (via Mame) that many Taito games had something missing from the gameplay.

I'm not taking all of them, but they had.....well bad animation for a start. As if many of the object routines/animations were basically 2-5 spirtes where as other games had 20-30 per object.

So that lost that kinda smooth tactile feel.

I think some of their boards had limited ROM space, probably for cost reasons, but they certainly didn't skimp in ninja warriors..

gotta admit, was never a fan of rastan, and its sequel looked even worse.

I just saw on KLOV that someone in Blackpool has a pcb of Parasol Stars.. Loved that game on the amiga..

I thought only a prototype existed but it looks like somebody has the arcade. Probably one of the few games that could convince me to buy the pcb or arcade (along with marble man - marble madness 2)

Hopefully the pce version comes out on virtual console soon as that was meant to be arcade perfect.

Still the amiga version was a great multi player game.

I think Bubble bobble was the first arcade game I ever played (at least one of the first my memory is fading)