Has a game ever influenced you in 'real life'?

the thing is... none of us have grown up with realistic games.

On this note: frankly I find it's the mpre abstract games, or the abstract parts of games, that weedle their way into my thought processes. I mean, I could see myself being deeply disturbed if I played Manhunt for eighty consecutive hours without sleep, but it would involve me sneaking up behind people elaborately, tagging them mentally, and then moving onto the next target. The actual "attack" part is just a token action in the game, a button press.

I've had to tell myself to cool it when driving right after playing Burnout 2 on several occasions. Not that I was doing any B2-type craziness, just driving faster than usual and feeling ever so slightly aggressive towards everyone else driving too slowly. The effect only ever lasted a few minutes but I did find it interesting.

Let me see:

After playing Crackdown I evaluate how to climb buildings. I don't actually do it though.

After playing most car games, I tend to avoid driving for an hour or two as I do get an urge to drive that little bit more recklessly.

After playing Elite I get an urge to go into space. A serious urge to go into space, and get a little sad that I never will..probably.

The video previews of World in Conflict made me go back and re-read Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy, now that I can actually picture all the action properly. Something I'd recommend.

The was the US armed forces are targeting gamesplayers for recruitment should be noted, too. There's the America's Army thing, obviously, and I believe GameFaqs.com is now sponsored by the air force.

:)

As Astilius said....GET OUT!

Yeah well I tried to enjoyed it, but 300 odd pages in and the guys still bloody hiding behind some exhibition in a museum :lol: And I am somone who made it thru the frist chapter of Alan Moore's Voice of the Fire so I know how to stick with things.

Playing Square-Enix RPG's has influenced me to start collecting some of the plastic/metal models, but I draw the line at the life size replica weapons.

My cousin got a replica Buster Sword (Cloud's weapon from FFVII) though & cut himself (not seriously) on it while posing with it in his back yard. He is an adult & knows to be (more) careful, but I hate to think about a little kid getting his hands on something like that.

I really, really wanted to get a skateboard after playing Tony Hawk. I didn't.

Tony Hawk games make me want to be an ace skater, and Guitar Hero makes me want to be an ace guitarist, but neither actually prompted me to "take it real".

I'm worried about how my new 360 steering wheel is going to affect me learning how to drive. I've had 8 lessons now but the 360 wheel makes (or prefers) you to brake with your left foot, and of course in real driving you're supposed user your right foot. I'm worried now :angry:

I'm learning to drive at the moment and my instructor keeps telling me off for steering left slightly before a right turn (and vice-versa) in the hope of going close to the bend at the apex of the turn for the best line. I'm doing it totally subconsciously, I didn't even notice until she pointed it out.

After spending days on end playing GTA3 I felt quite 'different' whenever I was outside, as though any vehicles were realistically up for grabs. I remember once spending literally hours doing the fucking evil 'Manual the Switchbacks' task on the Alcatraz level of THPS4, for a while afterwards if I made a mistake doing anything at all my brain would immediately think 'press start and retry last goal'. I've also planned out skateboarding lines in real life before realising that my actual skateboarding days lasted about three weeks when I was seven and even then they mostly consisted of me finding a big hill, lying down on my Batman skateboard and hoping for the best.

I have absolutely no interest in cars, and am still learning to drive, but a couple of years ago when I got a PS2 and GTA:SA for xmas (my first GTA game), I was alarmed when seeing, say, a car ad on TV or cars in the street, I thought "hmmm, I wouldn't mind stealing that for a couple of hours...", much like Rsdio.

Perhaps more alarmingly, after spending almost an entire month exclusively playing Burnout 3, I was in the passenger seat of a friend's car, and as a car to our left came down a slip road, I had the mental instinct to slam into it.

However, I've never been in that mindset during a driving lesson, and when you're a passenger you're a lot more relaxed anyway. Still odd, though.

Gratuitous use of the word "brownouts" and the belief that hydroelectric and wind power are totally weak compared to coal and nuclear stem from Sim City.

On the contrary, I found that hydroelectric and wind power are awesome power sources, just you need tonnes of it hidden well away from nice places. :)

Burnout has been mentioned a few times and I'm another to add to that list. Don't drive after playing Burnout. After a couple of hours on the third one I found myself powering down quiet roads faster than I would normally.

There is something about that game.