IGNORED

Wall-E - New from Pixar

Goose

I watched this for the first time last night and didn't really like it very much at all.

The first thirty minutes or so was clever but incredibly slow. The rest of the film was one inane chase sequence after another, and the satire was incredibly heavy-handed. Overall the film was too slow-paced for kids, too trite for adults and seemed to go on forever. I was really sick of hearing "Wall-E! ... Eve? ... Wall-E!" by the end of it.

Easily the weakest of the Pixar films I've seen, and a huge disappointment after Ratatouille which I thought was brilliant.

I watched this for the first time last night and didn't really like it very much at all.

The first thirty minutes or so was clever but incredibly slow. The rest of the film was one inane chase sequence after another, and the satire was incredibly heavy-handed. Overall the film was too slow-paced for kids, too trite for adults and seemed to go on forever. I was really sick of hearing "Wall-E! ... Eve? ... Wall-E!" by the end of it.

Easily the weakest of the Pixar films I've seen, and a huge disappointment after Ratatouille which I thought was brilliant.

:angry:

Your insides. I fear that they are dead.

Your insides. I fear that they are dead.

Strange because my wife also thought the film was pretty but dull. I can see why people like it but I'm genuinely surprised that everyone has been so positive about it.

I guess part of the problem for me was that people who liked the first bit (adults) probably wouldn't have liked the second bit. And people who liked the second bit (kids) probably wouldn't have liked the first bit. Who exactly were they making this movie for? It was like someone had a vision (which resulted in the first 20 minutes) and it then got focus-groupped and marketing-manned to death, resulting in a bit of a mess.

But then again Pixar seems to be a bit of a Marmite thing for me. I really liked Ratatouille and The Incredibles but some of their other stuff like Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc didn't do anything for me at all.

When I watched it at the cinema I found the two halves didn't gel that well (and you can certainly see the second half of the film has been affected by focus group testing) but on subsequent viewings (three more and counting) those issues seem to recede and it does work better as a whole. Whilst the second half is louder and more action packed it still has wonderful character moments.

Monsters Inc. is still the best thing the studio has ever created though.

The end bit

with Wall E getting horribly crushed and then not remembering

, gets me everytime :'(

Aye, that bit gets me every time as well.

I'm sure it's been said, but it really reminded me of ET in a lot of ways, although, kinda in reverse.

Anyway, I never really thought of it as two halves of a movie. It all flowed pretty naturally for me. Bloody amazing to look at, as well.

I could say more, of course, but between this and The Dark Knight, it's hard to choose which was the best film of the year for me.

I guess part of the problem for me was that people who liked the first bit (adults) probably wouldn't have liked the second bit. And people who liked the second bit (kids) probably wouldn't have liked the first bit. Who exactly were they making this movie for? It was like someone had a vision (which resulted in the first 20 minutes) and it then got focus-groupped and marketing-manned to death, resulting in a bit of a mess.

That's a bizarre assertion. People can like both. I certainly did.

I finally saw this film for the first time yesterday (because couldnt be asked to go cinema for it) and was quite impressed with the storyline.

So after 700 years everyone goes fat in space, so is Disney promoting obesity in America?

Saw this for the first time last night, on Blu-Ray. I didn't get the whole 'film of two halves' thing at all. Sure, there was more action in the second half, but there were kid-pleasing moments in the first, and definitely quite a few bits which were more geared towards adults in the second.

Anyway, I absolutely bloody loved it. Pixar's finest yet for me. I nearly burst from trying to hold the tears back at a couple of points.

It stands for Basic Utility Repair Nano Engineer - The director, Angus MacLane has tried to explain why it was called Burn-E:

I have since heard from some people that it actually be BURN•A because the "E" in WALL•E stands for "Earth-Class" and the "A" would be the appropriate "Axiom-Class". Now I could argue that maybe BURN•E was a robot on earth that then was installed on the Axiom, but A: I would be lying and B: What is the point? If that is the biggest problem you have with the film, then I have done my job. Now put yourself in my shoes- you have to name this robot. The name BURN-E is funny and breaks the continuity of the film or BURN•A which is more accurate to the feature and is not funny at all. Which would you choose? I thought so. I do love that geeks pick up on this and I am happy to be creating this controversy. I'd probably do the same thing were I not involved.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I can't believe I've only just watched this. Saw it on Blu-ray last night, and it looked amazing. After being disappointed with "Up", it was an absolute treat. Pixar's best by quite a way.

I don't think they'll have much luck with those

pizza plants

though. ;)

• 8 months later...

Just caught this for the first time on BBC just now, amazing, really, really great, what a wonderful movie. Not really much else to add that hasn't been said already. The first half and the close had so much warmth. Definitely one of my favourite Pixar films.