IGNORED

The NDS Flash Cart thread

zxcvbnm

My Deal Extreme order arrived and am loving the Acecard especially like the fact it just automatically works with the 3in1 without any need for additional software to manage the GBA stuff as I used to have to do with my old R4, and great to be able to put my carts securely away instead of lugging em around with me.

Only downer is the screen protectors I ordered are the DSi ones so too big for my DS Lite.

My Old DS had had noticeale wear marks on the lower right of the touchscreen (where a lot of games place icons) they werent noticeable when the screen was brightly illuminated but could be seen when the screen was dark. So a clamshell touchscreen would benefit from protectors IMO.

Does anyone know why this SID Player app won't run on my DS using a Supercard DS Onei? I've created the sid folder with my SIDs in it on the root of the card, but just get a black screen. I've got a long train journey in a couple of hours time, my portable music player died last night, so I thought I'd listen to some SID tunes, but I can't get the blasted thing working.

Do you really need screen protectors on a clamshell handheld? :)

I keep thinking I'm scratching it but I'm actually just moving around finger grease. I wipe and the 'scratches' go away. I might get some anti-reflective ones anyway just so I can play in the sun and stuff.

Soo... how's homebrew for the DSi at the moment? Can you run stuff off the SD card, or do I need to get a flash cart anyway? Oh, and does homebrew stuff use the extra memory it has? *edit* Google says no. Flashcard only, same capabilities as DS.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been happily using a Cyclo card for a year or so, and now the top screen has started to flicker - so much that it's unplayable for things like Pokemon. There's nothing about it on their forum, and doesn't seem to be in this thread.

Has anyone else had / solved this, or is it time for a new card?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You want to be using the AKAIO firmware on the AceKard. I believe the v1.5 of it is out now available for download.

You'll get a akmenu4.nds file and __aio folder, stick them on the root of your micro sd and then stick all your stuff on there too. You should be good to go then :)

I had my DS stolen in Ibiza with my CycloDS card in it :) so I'm looking to get a DSi once the insurance comes through. What's the best flash card to get for a DSi these days? I've searched for a DSi version of the CycloDS but I'm guessing there isn't one yet?

Get an Acekard2i.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone who's a bit dense and updated to 1.4 aaaaaages ago (coughMEcough) and hasn't found this yet can now get their AK2i working again. Bad thing is, I had to run the *.nds file on an R4 card to patch the firmware.

I'm sure there's an easier way.

BTW, what's that AKAIO f/w all about? Any use for an AK2i?

EDIT: I r spazz.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is the DSTT still ok to use? My daughter wanted a couple for her kids (she bought 2 cheap regular DS's)- but I think she should get cheap cards as the kids are young and they will probably use it once or twice and never touch it again.

Also can anyone recommend an online outlet? Amazon don't seem to stock this stuff anymore. Thanks

DSTT's are still fine so far as I know aye. Last few cards I've bought for people though I've gone for the Acekard 2 and I also got one for myself. Played everything I've chucked on it no probs.

Got all mine from dealextreme, though beware they are in China and aren't known for their speedy shipping, so if they're for chrimbo pressies I maybe wouldn't risk it now buying off them.

EDIT: Actually, you're in Manc aint you. I just remembered I was in Aria the other week collecting something and saw they had some on display in the glass cabinets and were selling them there linky.

Bit of a rip off, but it's an option if you want to just pop in there.

Do you really need screen protectors on a clamshell handheld? :huh:

for the ds series, it really isn't about the clamshell design, but the touch screen. I've had an official set of HORI screen protectors on my system for the past 2 years which have finally started to show their age, so I swapped them out. it's amazing how much abuse those things will take and still allow the screens to look great.

fast forward to 2 weeks ago, when I unknowingly replaced my original "official" HORI's with some chinese knock-offs and I've already dreading all of the scratches on the new protectors. I should have my replacements later this week, but it does go to show that the "real" product does a fantastic job of protecting the screen as well as surviving repetitive stylus abuse.

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone put the YSMenu firmware on their R4? Can you give me some help if so? I've googled for guides, but they all seem to say that they aren't allowed by the firmware author to host the files once they have been patched to run on the R4, so there's long series of instructions and programs to download to patch the firmware yourself. they confuse me :'(

Can anyone email me the files so I can drag and drop them a la official R4 firmware? Or give me a link? Half the problem is the YSMenu site is all in Japanese, as are the programs you have to download...

You can only use the Acekard 2i.

You can avoid the update, or theres a patch for the card out there you can run FIRST, then safely update. I didnt know this and fucked up by updating to get my son onto the store so his Acekard 2i was borked. Fortunately there is a workaround if you have a non-updated DS/i, phew!

The R4 is up for £2.73 at Dealextreme, good price if a little slow with the post.

Once again Hotukdeals kudos for the heads up.

These are a turd in my experience. Apparently the R4 team stopped producing these well over a year ago and all thats left are cheap fakes. Either way I've gone through quite a few in the last couple of years due to shitty build quality.