rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
JPickford (retired mod)

Brother in Arms DS

Perfect Dark did do it.

In Brothers in Arms DS getting into cover feels a little awkawrd. You simply walk into a wall or object and your guy will take cover. The problem seems to be that it's not obvious which objects you can take cover behind, so you frequently vault over them instead.

Aiming and looking with the stylus is clumsy and cumbersome, it feels like you're constantly struggling against controls that will never be intuitive or natural. There is absolutely no benefit to using the touchscreen for a game like this, it's badly judged and forced for the sake of it.

A shame because it does look reasonable enough, in a PS1tastic kinda way.

Aiming and looking with the stylus is clumsy and cumbersome, it feels like you're constantly struggling against controls that will never be intuitive or natural. There is absolutely no benefit to using the touchscreen for a game like this, it's badly judged and forced for the sake of it.

A shame because it does look reasonable enough, in a PS1tastic kinda way.

but it worked great in MPH.

surely epic should release stuff like Duke Nukem 3D on the DS really, or even Quake?

The DS is crying out for Quake or Quake 2 with Metroid controls. It'd be ace on wi-fi or t'internet play.

Class game, the thumb controls work great, just wish I could find my thumb stylus <_<

Someone has made a homebrew Quake port for the DS, you need a flash cart to play it though.

This game does look really impressive for a DS game, can't wait to give it a go.

Didn't Perfect Dark do it on 360?

Yes it did. It's the first FPS that had it, as far as I remember. RS: Vegas pretty much perfected it though.

It doesn't even look that good 'in the flesh'. And the cover thing is totally flawed. It's also stupidly hard, especially when you're driving a tank round and can't see the tiny people shooting at you.

It doesn't even look that good 'in the flesh'. And the cover thing is totally flawed. It's also stupidly hard, especially when you're driving a tank round and can't see the tiny people shooting at you.

That's exactly what I expected, tbh. The resolution/size of the DS's screen make complex 3D stuff a bit of a waste of time, I think.

Still quite impressive, but can't say I'm planning on buying/playing it.

The DS, obviously! What else could 'reaching the edge of the screen' mean? :D

(edit - oh you thought he was replying to far crayola, I see <slaps forehead>)

I got it this morning and have done the Normandy maps so far. I don't really think it's that good to be honest. The controls are incredibly unresponsive and you can't adjust their sensitivity so turning is a bitch if you're being shot in the back. Not that this matters since on the default difficulty you can take about a million hits before dying. No need to take cover.

That's probably for the best too since you can arbitrarily get stuck in walls! I haven't seen that I was trying to make videogames in uni and did half assed scenery clipping.

It'd be worth it, to a point, if the game was any cop but it's just moving from checkpoint to checkpoint planting explosives and setting them off. The only neat moment so far was planting explosive on V2 rockets and then blowing the charges by shooting them with a sniper rifle at the end of the level.

I'm going to do the next campaign but if it doesn't do it for me this game is gone!

Was put off this while watching a preview on Gamespot. They reckoned there were 16 missions and each one takes about 10 mins. That's not a lot of game.

Really enjoying this so far. Sure its a little on the easy side but there are harder settings and medals to unlock. Quite frankly, I'd rather play a game thats fun and not too taxing then one that I'll end up giving up on like I did wiith mph.

Very impressive graphics too, just shows what the ds is capable of.

Had a go on this last night - technically it's very impressive, but as people have said before the gameplay just isn't there.