IGNORED

Valve Hardware Survey

revlob

Valve have published the latest figures from their most recent hardware survey, conducted over the first week of June:

http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

With nearly 400,000 unique samples, the results give a good indication as to the state of the enthusiast PC market. Here are a couple of points one can summerise from the data:

• Intel has a 3% lead over AMD. (This isn't as large as I had anticipated. Nowhere near the kind of lead nVidia has over ATI at the moment at ~20%)
  • An extremely small minority have over 2GB of RAM. (<1%)
  • Widescreen displays account for only 13% of the total. ("Widescreen" is defined as 16:9, no mention of whether this includes 16:10 or not)
  • Only 1% of users have DX10-compatible cards.
  • Windows Vista is already on 5% of machines sureveyed.

So, where would you say your machine fitted in? Top 50%? Top 5%? Top1%? With a single-core AMD and only a gig of RAM, I'm thinking about upgrading before Episode 2 lands. My card (nVidia 7800 GT) still packs a punch, so I probably won't be buying into DX10 just yet.

I've just bought a C2Duo E6600, 2GB RAM and an 8800GTS... but I was coming from an Athlon 2800XP, 1gb RAM with a borked 6800GT, and I didn't want to get another stop gap AGP card to replace a borked stop gap AGP card.

I'd hold off until the July Intel price cuts before buying a system if you've already got a decent enough GPU.

Haven't gone for Vista/DX10 yet... I'll wait until there's a DX10 game that I want to play... Crysis/HL Ep 2 etc.

I've just bought a C2Duo E6600, 2GB RAM and an 8800GTS... but I was coming from an Athlon 2800XP, 1gb RAM with a borked 6800GT, and I didn't want to get another stop gap AGP card to replace a borked stop gap AGP card.

I'd hold off until the July Intel price cuts before buying a system if you've already got a decent enough GPU.

Haven't gone for Vista/DX10 yet... I'll wait until there's a DX10 game that I want to play... Crysis/HL Ep 2 etc.

Yeah I had heard about Intel's planned slashes. Should be when the quads arrive, is it really as early as July though? Ep2 doesn't arrive until October (or is it November?), so I have plenty of time to consider my options.

Sprite, you still suffer from that? :(

Well, I just about managed to finish Episode 1 with the stuttering/lock-ups, but that was a few months back now. I only hope Episode 2 doesn't suffer the same problem.

Does anyone know what the required specs will be for Episode 2? The teaser video looked very impressive, and I hope my 9800XT can do it justice.

Well, I just about managed to finish Episode 1 with the stuttering/lock-ups, but that was a few months back now. I only hope Episode 2 doesn't suffer the same problem.

Does anyone know what the required specs will be for Episode 2? The teaser video looked very impressive, and I hope my 9800XT can do it justice.

Well I would hope that they would be similar to Episode 1's, but as they're aiming to set a significant part of the game outdoors, the larger environments might require a little bit more e-penis. I read in an interview that they'll be including some DX10 stuff, but I doubt it'll be much, so hopefully it you could bear Episode 1, your machine should cope with Episode 2.

Sprite, you still suffer from that? :(

Sprite's not the only one. I'm still getting sound stuttering loops in HL2 and Ep 1 despite actually having changed my graphics card and sound card and installed extra memory since I first tried playing the game. I've even reinstalled Windows. So I've come to the conclusion that it's probably something to do with my motherboard, I'm never going to get it sorted, and I'll probably have to buy the 360 versions to see these games properly. :(

Just goes to show you that those with the mega powered rigs are definitely in the minority. I was reading somewhere that the developers of UT3 are aiming to get it working for low end systems to ensure decent sales.

I wonder how the SM3.0 ONLY games released have sold.

You can add me to this select group as well, only experienced the problem with EP1 though. Perhaps my 9800XT is not upto it <_<

Unlikely. I get the same problem with 2 gigs of RAM, a C2D E6600 and an 8800GTX! I still managed to struggle through to the end though, and again it only seems to affect Episode 1.

It seems that Valve are working hard to solve this problem.

Oh, wait......no, they're not :lol:

Why should they have to? the fact is that it runs fine on probably 99% of pc's so if your in the minority with a borked pc its up to you to fix it, not valve.

It's surely kind of worthless, as the only people who will bother to do the survey are the people who regularly play CS Source, which isn't exactly the worlds most intensive game.

Rubbish. All Steam users are asked if they wish to partake, and there's a lot more on Steam now than just CS:S. Like Half Life 2, for instance.

Can we all agree to run the next Valve hardware survey on a Pentium 75 mhz? It's the only way to bring down the average and stop the madness. My PC is alright, but I must admit that the constantly raising hardware bar is tempting me towards the console versions of new releases.

I find CS:S to be really amazing graphically tbh. All sorts of physics going on, nice lighting/smoke effects and they have HDR on some maps I believe.

Yeah i've seen a few maps with HDR very nice. The PC i've got at home will run all the Source games at full settings, so i don't really have problems with stuttering or the like. :lol: