Bill Gates invents the Wii - no - The Eyetoy

Things I do not own: a tennis racket, a baseball bat, a set of golf clubs, a pair of boxing gloves.

And even for those of us that do, it's never a good idea to swing them at the new HD Tellybox. No, it would be easier if the action were simulated with a smaller device like, say....I dunno...a Wiimote perhaps. Silly Billy.

He wasn't talking about the Xbox, he was talking about the future of that kind of visual computing in a theoretical device that would fit into their range of products in a similar to their Touch-Table.

Kotaku just ran the story with a headline similar to this one and introduced the Xbox in order to get hits, Spong just picked it up. Shitty games journalism at it's creamiest gentlemen.

They're both at it.

He says sending stuff from your computer to the Apple TV isn’t the main deal here. “Wouldn’t it be great if you could see YouTube on your TV?”

Yeah, that would be great, Steve. You should get yourself one of those Wii things.

I like the way GamesIndustry.biz have reported this - especially how they've seen fit to drag up that quote for the final paragraph:

I remember some guy from Epic bullying the Nintendo rep on stage at some conference.

Can't find a link but it went something like, 'Fuck the gay Wii's innovation, we got teh graphics.'

Before sales figures came out obviously. I expect to see Gears of Wii anyday.

360 could do with some kind of new input thingy to keep up. The Wiimote and Eyetoy both showed great innovation. Wiimote especially as it could potentially revolutionise how we surf the web from an armchair.

No reason why Eyetoy technology couldn't do the same I suppose, as long as I don't have to watch myself slumped on the couch in a string vest at the same time.

They're both at it.

Yeah, that would be great, Steve. You should get yourself one of those Wii things.

This whole thing reminds me of the possibly apocryphal story of NASA spending millions developing a zero-gravity pen, while the Russian cosmonauts just used pencils.

Here we've got two guys who've built their fortunes on technology, naturally seeing ever more powerful technology as the answer to every problem. Meanwhile their Eastern rivals (well, one of them anyway) are sticking to good old-fashioned, cheap and cheerful lateral thinking.

The 3d object tracking was demo'd by MS yonks* back, was it not?

*Where "yonks" = last August:

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20060818/cifaldi_01.shtml

I'll believe it when I see it. There's no 3D tracking in that video. Just the usual, incredibly limited eyetoy stuff.

The sword stuff at the end is a bit better but you still need a special object and a clear view. You couldn't do a good tennis game. And I'd like to see them do a four player version.

This whole thing reminds me of the possibly apocryphal story of NASA spending millions developing a zero-gravity pen, while the Russian cosmonauts just used pencils.

Totally apocryphal. Pencils are a bad idea in zero-g because graphite dust is electrically conductive. You don't want that stuff getting into your electronics (which were point-to-point wired by hand in the 50s and 60s, remember.)

There exists a common rumor claiming that because a standard ballpoint pen would not work in zero gravity (which is false [1]), NASA spent millions of dollars developing the zero-g capable Space Pen, with the humorous note that the Russian space agency opted to simply use pencils.[2] This has been debunked several times, with reasons such as the danger that a broken-off pencil tip poses in zero gravity and the high flammability of both the graphite and wood present in pencils. In fact NASA never approached Paul Fisher to develop a pen, nor did Fisher receive any government funding for the pen's development. Fisher invented it independently, and then asked NASA to try it. After the introduction of the AG7 Space Pen, both the American and Soviet (later Russian) space agencies adopted it. (Previously both the Russian and American astronauts used grease pencils and plastic slates.)

He wasn't talking about the Xbox, he was talking about the future of that kind of visual computing in a theoretical device that would fit into their range of products in a similar to their Touch-Table.

Kotaku just ran the story with a headline similar to this one and introduced the Xbox in order to get hits, Spong just picked it up. Shitty games journalism at it's creamiest gentlemen.

Yeah - weren't these quotes related to the potential for the technology behind Surface?

http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2007/05...e.aspx#comments

Which DOES use object recognition for portable devices etc..

Things I do not own: a tennis racket, a baseball bat, a set of golf clubs, a pair of boxing gloves.

And let's face it, if you DID own all of the above, you're bound to want to stand in front of your TV and play tennis/golf/whatever, rather than going outside and actually using the expensive sports equipment you've splashed out on. ^_^

Gates, you cock.

.::: Oh FFS. It's not like Nintendo was doing anything new. Their innovation was enforcing it from the start instead of making it an optional peripheral.

Just ask Tsietisin - he was using gyroscopic controllers and one-hand peripherals that were available sometime before the Wii; Ninty just decided to take the technology to a console which, like you said, enforces it as the standard control device.

And given that the Xbox is technically a PC... ^_^

Just ask Tsietisin - he was using gyroscopic controllers and one-hand peripherals that were available sometime before the Wii; Ninty just decided to take the technology to a console which, like you said, enforces it as the standard control device.

.::: Reading that thread makes me feel old. Has so much time really passed by?

Did any of you actually watch the interview this supposed quote is from? It's entirely out of context. Mossberg asks Gates and Jobs what kind of interaction we can expect in the future - what will ultimately replace the GUI and they just throw a few ideas out there. THAT'S IT!

One lazy blog later and suddenly Bill Gates is trying to take credit for inventing the Wii.

I like Bill Gate's forward thinking here.

I really want to play a tennis game where you swing the controller like a racket!

You miss the point completely - he is not talking about using a controller at all. Hes is on about video recognition.

And let's face it, if you DID own all of the above, you're bound to want to stand in front of your TV and play tennis/golf/whatever, rather than going outside and actually using the expensive sports equipment you've splashed out on. ^_^

Gates, you cock.

especially if its raining

Not the same thing as what I'm claiming is the major innovation: coupling an acceleromoter with a camera and sensor bar.

The Gyration mouse he uses in that thread is supplied by Nintendo's partner: they own a lot of patents and have been innovating in this field for some time.

A one-handed controller isn't unprecendented, I agree. But then you have to be able to put all of the elements together and make a compelling product. It stops being about invention and becomes about product design, software, marketing.

The Wii is new. I don't understand why people are so keen to claim that it isn't.

3d object recognition and movement is quite doable with cameras. The thing is you need two to get good depth perception and so know where the object is in 3d space. I know this to be true as a friend did it as a uni project. The other way is to make some things non changing. The eye of judgement thing has a stand so that it can make judgements about how far away things are.

Did any of you actually watch the interview this supposed quote is from? It's entirely out of context. Mossberg asks Gates and Jobs what kind of interaction we can expect in the future - what will ultimately replace the GUI and they just throw a few ideas out there. THAT'S IT!

One lazy blog later and suddenly Bill Gates is trying to take credit for inventing the Wii.

I posted it, everyone is ignoring it. Spong being the source was the clue to it being crap.

3d object recognition and movement is quite doable with cameras. The thing is you need two to get good depth perception and so know where the object is in 3d space. I know this to be true as a friend did it as a uni project. The other way is to make some things non changing. The eye of judgement thing has a stand so that it can make judgements about how far away things are.

Not really practical as a game controller though is it? You'd have to have some amazing hardware & software to even come close to the functionality of the wiimote. The best you could hope for is reasonable recognition of broad, sweeping motions. It'd never be accurate enough for subtlety like putting spin on a bowling ball.

This kind of tech is pretty cool but as a game controller its pretty poor and extremely limited.

Doesn't that MS Surface use cameras to recognise what's placed on the table? Maybe they're just planning for the future and imagining what the tech in that box could be capable of.
Which DOES use object recognition for portable devices etc..

No it doesn't, all objects need an RFID tag, even glasses/plates.

the possibilities of playing a wii tennis type game over live against a bleating 14 year old with some oversized home made cardboard tennis racket or frying pan to cheat is also unbelievably appealing.

And let's face it, if you DID own all of the above, you're bound to want to stand in front of your TV and play tennis/golf/whatever, rather than going outside and actually using the expensive sports equipment you've splashed out on. :lol:

Gates, you cock.

This here.

Bill Gates: "OH SHIT NINTENDO DID SOMETHING DIFFERENT AND THAT FUCKING WORKED SO NOW WE MUST DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT AS WELL SO FUCK YEAH VIDEO OH SHIT THE EYETOY AND THATS NOT NEW BUT WAIT IF WE MIX IT WITH WII IT WILL BE NEW SO I CALL THIS THE WIITOY I MEAN XBOXSUCKYOMOMMA LOL AMERICA FUCK YEAH".

He doesn't use the F word.