Bill Gates invents the Wii - no - The Eyetoy

http://news.spong.com/article/12785

Future game control methods for Xbox will be based around video recognition, as opposed to Wii-style ‘3D positional devices’ according to Microsoft boss-nerd, Bill Gates (pictured in his younger days right here).

Speaking out at the recent All Things Digital conference Bill opined, "Software is doing vision and so, you know, imagine a game machine where you're just going to pick up the bat and swing it or the tennis racket and swing it.”

But isn’t this already being done in Wii Sports tennis Bill?

"No, that’s not it. You can’t pick up your tennis racket… and swing it. You can’t sit there with your friends and do those natural things. That’s a 3D positional device," Gates added. "This is video recognition. This is a camera seeing what’s going on.”

.::: Oh FFS. It's not like Nintendo was doing anything new. Their innovation was enforcing it from the start instead of making it an optional peripheral. I've seen MS's Surface 'surface' in a Sony labs video about 8 years back. The only thing anybody is doing in games is streamlining already thought out ideas and pitching them at the target audiences of their choice.

No it's the other way around. You swing racket like a controller.

.::: It is potentially nice. But if it gets the same support as both the Vision and Games for Windows have received as of yet, it's going to be stillborn.

Added to the fact that cameras don't really work. The eyetoy certainly didn't. There's no way it could do what a wiimote does, not even close.

.::: It potentially could. But unless they've found a solution for it the margin of error will remain just as huge.

that said Eye of Judgement already seems to work with the principle pretty well (albeit on a far smaller scale).

.::: Oh FFS. It's not like Nintendo was doing anything new. Their innovation was enforcing it from the start instead of making it an optional peripheral.

Eh? The camera/accelerometer combination was new to me. Care to demonstrate any examples predating it?

.::: It potentially could. But unless they've found a solution for it the margin of error will remain just as huge.

I'm not convinced. I imagine it would take incredible processing power for a camera to properly understand what it was looking at. Even if they achieve that it seems a convoluted solution compared to the Wiimote (and I'm sure that tech will develop over coming years).

Eh? The camera/accelerometer combination was new to me. Care to demonstrate any examples predating it?

.::: That's another implementation of the same idea of translating movement into a game-control. And as I mentioned in my previous post the ideas themselves are rather old in every case. The implementation might be new (and sometimes enforced to circumvent patents).

I'm not convinced. I imagine it would take incredible processing power for a camera to properly understand what it was looking at. Even if they achieve that it seems a convoluted solution compared to the Wiimote (and I'm sure that tech will develop over coming years).

.::: Well they've got the face-recognition thing going, so I take it they are taking it from that point. I imagine it being some kind of motion-capture without the ridiculous suits. Then processing the recorded movement into what is exactly happening and applying that to the game.

.::: Well they've got the face-recognition thing going, so I take it they are taking it from that point. I imagine it being some kind of motion-capture without the ridiculous suits. Then processing the recorded movement into what is exactly happening and applying that to the game.

So in technical terms they basically 'make it work'? I see.

well obviously this vision system will come with lycra one-size-fits-all all in one bodysuits with different colours on each limb and your torso and a big screen to drape behind you so it can pick up what you are doing.

i have already hacked any shooters that come out for this platform as i have hastily made myself a carboard cutout of the BFG9000 from doom and made photocopies of loads of ammo icons for it

So in technical terms they basically 'make it work'? I see.

.::: I'm not the technician here. But if they can deduce a face from a picture than deducing objects should be in the same realm. It's not easy perhaps, but I don't view it to be impossible. It certainly seems feasible.

Yeah movement was invented years ago.

You can belittle pretty much any technology in that way as very few things spring from nowhere. I don't think that's means there is no innovation going on.

.::: I have more problems with the idea being claimed as made by someone so the others should just 'shut up about it'.

See also: Activision -> Guitar Hero. (Who presumably think Konami don't exist.)

What an awful idea. I do own a tennis racket, but there's no way it's ever going to make a feasible input device for a video game. My living room isn't the size of a tennis court, for a start. And my ceiling isn't high enough to go for smash points. And I can, y'know, go outside and play tennis.

Edited to add: ^^^ I know that last bit about going outside is a bit churlish. I also own a car which I can drive into London instead of playing PGR, I also own real guitars on which I can play Hangar 18 instead of playing Guitar Hero, etc.

dunno why but upon reading gates quote I saw this new amazing device that created a hologram of a baseball bat and then you can grab and manipulate it...and he is like 'yeah cool man your not swinging a controller anymore your swinging the REAL thing!...suck on that nintendo!'

I like the way GamesIndustry.biz have reported this - especially how they've seen fit to drag up that quote for the final paragraph:

Gates has previously been critical of Nintendo's strategy with Wii. Back in January he was quoted as saying, "Look at the resolution you get with a controlled experience like that. Say to yourself, how in terms of using a game for a long period of time, what kind of accuracy and capability do you want?"