rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Hatfield

Rum

Waitrose are doing Havana Club 7 for £22 at the moment, by the look of it. Not sure it counts as 'best for £20' but Kraken might be more giftable, given the bottle it comes in.

Rum, ginger beer (I like Fever Tree, preferably the full sugar version), lime.

• Upvote 1

Aldi have an excellent Spiced Rum called Old Seadog at £14.99. It's a much more smoother drink than your Morgan's Spiced or Sailor Jerry and seems a little bit less sweeter. In fact it really tastes like a premium dark rum!

Edit: Found this

A budget bottle of rum has beaten off fierce competition at the world’s most prestigious blind tasting competitions.

Budget supermarket Aldi’s own-label Sea Dog Premium Spiced Rum has been praised by industry experts at the Spirits Business Rum Masters, where judges awarded it a coveted gold medal.

The £16.99 bottle took the accolade alongside Ableforth’s Rumbullion! Navy-Strength, which retails at £45.

Tasters noted the Sea Dog’s excellence in taste and great value price point. The panel commended the rum’s unique notes of sweet vanilla, warming spices, coffee and a citrus lime kick – finished with a deep and flavoursome aftertaste.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/food-and-drink/aldi-rum-own-brand-sea-dog-taste-test-gold-medal/

Order a Cuba Libra instead of a Rum and Coke. It's rum, coke and a twist of Lime ;-)

• Upvote 1

Thanks both! That Aldi bottle sounds like a good option. I've bought the person it's for Kraken before so will try something different. May even get a bottle for myself :)

Yeah, I like dark rum with ginger beer and a wedge of lime (and/or actual lime juice) too, aka Dark 'n Stormy. Dangerously easy drinking.

21 hours ago, Jamie John said:

2) What's the best mixer for rum? My go to tipple if I'm not on the beer is a house rum and coke, but I always feel a bit...unrefined when I order it. Should it just be drunken neat or over ice, like whisky?

Ginger Beer (cloudy, Old Jamaice is good) with dark rum.

Coconut water is nice with a decent golden rum.

Also, tried this the other day and it worked really well.

448033011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=44351

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Thanks both! That Aldi bottle sounds like a good option. I've bought the person it's for Kraken before so will try something different. May even get a bottle for myself :)

I'm just having some of it now, straight and over ice.

It's very, very good....thoroughly recommended!

It's probably late now but for anyone struggling with a similar dilemma, I think the absolute best supermarket rum you can buy as a gift is

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva.

For £37 it's an absolute bargain - amazing drank straight and comes in a lovely package
https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/5510316719908739325

The standard diplomatico at £26 is great too
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/diplomatico-mantuano-dark-rum/830604-683840-683841

• Upvote 1

On 07/06/2019 at 22:06, gone fishin' said:

I'm just having some of it now, straight and over ice.

It's very, very good....thoroughly recommended!

I picked up a bottle today and had a little sample this evening over ice. It's bloody lovely! Nice and smooth and not too sweet. I'm going to get some ginger beer and make a dark and stormy with it as my Friday night tipple.

17 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I picked up a bottle today and had a little sample this evening over ice. It's bloody lovely! Nice and smooth and not too sweet. I'm going to get some ginger beer and make a dark and stormy with it as my Friday night tipple.

Glad you liked it! I’m surprised Aldi haven’t promoted it more, I picked it up because I needed a spiced rum to replace my near empty bottle of Dead Mans Fingers and was really surprised by it. That’s when I looked it up and found out it had won the global rum award!

• Upvote 1

On 07/06/2019 at 19:48, skadupuk said:

Ginger Beer (cloudy, Old Jamaice is good) with dark rum.

Coconut water is nice with a decent golden rum.

Also, tried this the other day and it worked really well.

448033011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=44351

I made myself a Dark and Stormy this evening - 50 ml of rum and the rest of a high ball glass with Old Jamaica, topped with a slice of lime. It was ok, but I think the ginger beer was too overpowering. Maybe I used too much. I've just had the same amount of rum with a can of coke and fresh lime and that was nicer, in my opinion, mainly because I could taste the rum a lot more.

What flavour is that Shweppes mixer? I saw some in Sainsbury's today but it wasn't cheap.

17 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I made myself a Dark and Stormy this evening - 50 ml of rum and the rest of a high ball glass with Old Jamaica, topped with a slice of lime. It was ok, but I think the ginger beer was too overpowering. Maybe I used too much. I've just had the same amount of rum with a can of coke and fresh lime and that was nicer, in my opinion, mainly because I could taste the rum a lot more.

What flavour is that Shweppes mixer? I saw some in Sainsbury's today but it wasn't cheap.

It's difficult to describe, very unique, sweet like cola but not quite as overpowering and makes a very caramel-esque drink with the rum without being as sickly as that sounds, if you've ever had sugar cane juice in Asia it'll taste familiar. It's good, but doesn't beat cola/lime, ginger beer or coconut water for me but was a very nice change (I wouldn't splash out if it's expensive, I got it on a deal)

Re. the Dark N Stormy, cocktail ratio is 60ml rum to 100ml ginger beer and lime juice (10ml-ish), I like it a little too much so tend to do different strengths depending on how many I'm planning to drink, 50ml to 150ml works for me in terms of slowing down my consumption rate (lot's of ice) but dilutes the hit of rum, it reads like you may have gone 250ml+ of GB which would definitely make it much harder for the rum to balance things off/come through.

• Upvote 1