I've never watched The Wire

Rex Grossman

• 5 years later...
On 21/12/2015 at 16:02, Danster said:

What the hell am I going to watch next that'll even stand close to this?

Snowfall stands close to this, as equals, perhaps even exceeding it.

Honestly, if you like the Wire then do yourselves a favour and watch Snowfall. All four seasons are on iPlayer or the first three are in the Star section of Disney+

Well,  it's definitely worth mentioning in the same breath. I don't think I'm getting carried away raising that bar, be interested (perhaps in the Snowfall thread rather than here) where you feel it doesn't hit that bar.

I am sometimes a little blind to faults in things that I like (aren't we all) and perhaps The Wire deserves a re-watch so I can compare more closely. I am always interested in other's opinions on these things.

Having watched both, Snowfall isn’t anywhere near fit to be mentioned in the same breath as The Wire. 

Its a half decent crime show at best. Enjoyable enough don’t get me wrong, but the only thing that keeps them in the same conversation is because they are based on the drugs game. It’s like comparing Shawshank Redemption with the Longest Yard as they’re both set in prisons. 

I've been going through Narcos during lockdown and I think that's incredible and up there with the Wire. The stories are just so unbelievable that you think they must be making it up for the show, but then they'll cut to historic footage and nope!

There's nothing better than watching season 1 episode 1 of a tv show, being impressed, getting to episode 6 and being convinced, watching season 2 and seeing it expand in scope then going into season 3 with more anticipation than anything anything else and just absorbing every moment knowing there's 20-30 more hours of this and you have no idea where it will go. People talk about The Wire in terms of its realism, authenticity and intelligence, but i remember being gripped throughout season 4, it's 1am and i just want to watch one more. 

The amount of excitement in the middle of it is the same amount as the indifference beforehand, if you've never tasted it you don't know what you're missing. You think, why should i care to spend so much time with these strangers. The Wire was so regularly funny, it and Mad Men were my favourite for dialogue. 

I watch few new tv shows now. I really should give more a go. 

On 15/06/2021 at 21:52, Loik V credern said:

I watch few new tv shows now. I really should give more a go. 

Possibly true, but you might just conclude that epic television, despite being in the New Golden Age of TV is still a rare sight, plenty of perfectly fine TV being produced now, but things which are of the sustained quality and length of The Wire or The Sopranos are still stupidly rare. HBO were on fire when they first raised the bar for TV drama over 20 years ago, much like Pixar's initial run. It's hard to believe they had both of those running at the same time!

19 hours ago, mushashi said:

Possibly true, but you might just conclude that epic television, despite being in the New Golden Age of TV is still a rare sight, plenty of perfectly fine TV being produced now, but things which are of the sustained quality and length of The Wire or The Sopranos are still stupidly rare. HBO were on fire when they first raised the bar for TV drama over 20 years ago, much like Pixar's initial run. It's hard to believe they had both of those running at the same time!

And Deadwood. And Rome.