alex

Atari Jaguar

I don't really get the point of these ST conversions beyond it being some sort of money grab appealing to the rabid jaguar collectors. 

I'd love somebody to take the time and make / convert something that would really push the system, like a decent 2D fighter, something the Jag sorely lacks. It's got the guts to throw / scale sprites around when pushed, look at super burnout, it's beautiful!

• Upvote 2

I had a Jag and nearly all the cartridge games at the time except for mutant penguins, why does it continue to soar in price? Quite frankly it was pretty shit barring the odd little gem. The potential it had was in its earlier incarnation as the Panther destroying the SNES / MD / 3DO but instead Atari delayed anf overcooked it to have the Jag arrive just in time to be exterminated by the PSX and N64

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I want but not for 120 dollars, even knowing the amount of work that's gone into making them. 

that's for TWO of them, mind.

16 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Did any Jag games even use the six-button pad? I remember it being touted in Edge as a control solution for a conversion of Mortal Kombat 3, which of course was never released.

http://www.atariage.com/controller_page.html?SystemID=JAGUAR&ControllerID=20

The Atari Jaguar Pro Controller is similar in appearance to the standard Jaguar controller, but adds three new action buttons (X, Y, and Z) as well as two shoulder buttons (L and R) at the top of the unit. These new buttons are mapped from the existing numeric keypad buttons. The Pro Controller is compatible with all Jaguar games, but some games, such as Primal Rage were designed with the Pro Controller in mind. However, some games that were created before the Pro Controller arrived can still take advantage of the new keys if they used the numeric keypad.

mapping functions to keypad buttons repeats them on the extra 5 buttons

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/24855-list-of-pro-controller-games/

• Upvote 1

I keep popping into this thread every now and again as I really want another Jag just to play T2K and yesterday at a family gathering was speaking to my wife’s aunts other half who had just bought an Atari 2600 to show his kids games from his era when naturally the mention of Atari led me to mentioning my odd love of the Jaguar....

I know what happened to that spare one I had when I bought a few for a tenner that time, boxed in his loft while here I am Jagless :( 

On 05/12/2018 at 08:05, Nathan Wind said:

I've got two pro controllers on the way so if anyone wants the spare (£60 posted), let me know.  Otherwise it'll be going on eBay.

Seriously hang onto it for a few months. The price is bound to shoot up like crazy which means money for more games!

These are niiiiccceee quality, you wouldn't know it wasn't first-party.  Pads feel tighter than the standard ones if not a little sharp of edge, it's slimmer in the hands, buttons feel good, shoulder buttons are satisfyingly clicky. Notch at the bottom to make overlay removal easy. Added bonus, they marked the value right down so hopefully I'll not be stung by customs.

Pleased with these, DOOM's gonna play real nice.

20181219_140419.thumb.jpg.6960c76eda285bf955e8d6b02bc978b7.jpg

• Upvote 1

Haven't had chance to try them yet, but I was reading that some people have had to move the PCB up a bit and tighten it down hard as theirs have been ever so slightly out of line resulting in 'up-left' instead of 'left'.  Hopefully these are alright, but at least it's easy to fix.

I can indeed confirm the above, one of mine is fine but I had to open the other and push the PCB up. This counts as exciting news in the Jag thread. I’ll keep you all posted. No need to thank me.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1