rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Fusty Gusset

Lethal Weapon's 1/2/3/4/....and 5?

wasnt lethal weapon 4 supposed to be a die hard film? or die hard 3 was supposed to be a lethal weapon film?

i forget..

The script for Die Hard With A Vengeance was initially for a movie called Simon Says but was reworked to include McClane and Gruber.

I had never heard about the Lethal Weapon connection until your post but according to the wiki:

The film is based on a script written by Jonathan Hensleigh originally titled Simon Says, which was originally conceived as a Brandon Lee action film, then later considered for use as the fourth installment of the Lethal Weapon series.

Wasn't the original Die Hard originally conceived as a sequel to Total Recall, before it was reworked?

EDIT: Ignore. Must be thinking about something else.

No, the family have left by the time Joshua turns up, the cops outside are watching the house for someone to show up. Riggs & Murtaugh then turn up after the cops have been killed by Joshua, who is still snooping around the house (and sees the note).

If they family had left, why did Murtaugh give a shit.

Why weren't the cops on watch warned how dangerous Joshua was, they have radios.

If they wrote the note earlier they anticipated the danger.

Completely spoils the movie. ;):lol:

And don't get me started on Riggs weak triangle choke.

If they family had left, why did Murtaugh give a shit.

Why weren't the cops on watch warned how dangerous Joshua was, they have radios.

If they wrote the note earlier they anticipated the danger.

Completely spoils the movie. ;):lol:

And don't get me started on Riggs weak triangle choke.

Murtaugh didn't know his family had left. He tells Riggs that the son of a bitch knows where he lived. He would have called it in to have someone get his family out and watch the house. I think the cops did know how dangerous he was but they were caught off guard. Remember, Murtaugh has no way knowing if Joshua would go to his house, it's only a hunch. Your third point pretty much negates what I've written so I chose to ignore that in my theory.

:D

Wasn't the original Die Hard originally conceived as a sequel to Total Recall, before it was reworked?

EDIT: Ignore. Must be thinking about something else.

It was going to be the Sequel to Commando.

Is it a good set? I've been considering a purchase of the BD set too.

Worth every penny, especially if you grew up with these movies.

Oh and on the subject of movies that were originally intended to be something else, Van Damme's Cyborg was formed out of a Masters Of The Universe sequel.

This is how I'd do Lethal Weapon 5.

I'd start by taking it right back to that core idea. Deep down Riggs is a fucking killing machine. A Lethal Weapon.

It's been 18 years since the events of the last flick. Murtaugh is long dead (heart attack) and Riggs is now retired, divorced and living alone. Even his dog is gone. His life sucks.
He's back to a similar place he was in the first movie. He's angry at the world, he's drinking too much and entertains himself instigating bar fights with much younger guys, where he usually gets his ass kicked. Deep down he still needs/misses the action.

His ex-wife Lorna (now a police captain) visits. Reminds him that it's his daughters 18th birthday soon.. She might not like him but he's still her dad. He should make an effort.

Riggs is broke and little more than a bum now. When her birthday comes he gives her all he has to give. His old red pick up truck. They share a tender moment and he leaves the party. No longer a part of her world...

A few days later his daughter is driven off the road and killed in the very car Riggs gave her... Riggs is crushed. Hits the bottle harder. Feeling responsible for the death of his daughter. Riggs. Now, old, wiry and fucking deranged at what's happened must bump up against the new face of the LAPD as they try and stop him finding who killed her. 

And who is the new face of the LAPD? Murtaugh's Jr (now a detective like his dad) he takes on the case and soon finds the driver. But the fucker must have some serious connections. They know he did it but has a great lawyer who manages to find him a rock solid (fake) alibi. They have no choice but to let him go.

Riggs is of course distraught. He's ready to go out and get his bloody revenge. But before he can go all death-wish and kill the man who killed his daughter, a bunch of uniformed cops come and arrest him... But they don't take him to jail. They instead they take him to an intervention led by his ex wife and the Murtaugh's family. Leo is here, and even the shrink from the earlier flicks. They somehow talk him down and get him on the wagon.

Meanwhile Murtaugh Jr's latest case just got interesting. While investigating an influx of pure heroin into the streets of LA, he finds a link to one of dads old cases. A name that keeps popping up.

SHADOW COMPANY.

Not much is know about them so he goes to visit Riggs. Ask him what he remembers. While there he lets him in on some of the case info. These guys are big time. Every time he gets near, he is shut down. The LAPD can't touch them. Riggs is eager help in any way he can. It helps keep his mind off the drink and feels "almost like being a cop again".

They go their separate ways. Murtaugh Jr doing his official police work... But now, clean. Riggs decides to give him a helping hand.  Doing a little unsolicited investigating himself with the help of Leo. 

This would eventually all come together when it is revealed that Rigg's kids death was no accident. -- it was his own past coming back to haunt him and it’s connected to Murtaugh JRs case. 

MR JOSHUA'S son has reformed “Shadow Company” using modern day special forces to export drugs out of Afghanistan. The murder of Rigg's daughter was a mistake. Riggs was the intended target. Some long overdue payback for killing his father They were targeting his vehicle. Not the girl..

When Murtaugh Jr's family is also targeting and the LAPD unable to help, he must team up with Riggs to to bring down this organisation they thought his father destroyed 20 years ago.

Riggs would end up dying in the process. But not before living up to his "Lethal Weapon" status in the first flick and killing every motherfucker he can.

So yeah. I'd do it something like that. it would be less comedic than the last couple and take it back to being more of a violent thriller with laughs.

God knows what they'll end up doing. I just hope they bring Shane Black back on to write it.

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 1

Isn't Donner in his 80s now? 

Edit: 87!!

Glover is 71 and Gibson is 61. Why are they even bothering? The people who liked the movies won't really be that fussed about a '5', and anyone who doesn't know the movies is unlikely to take a chance on the fifth part of a franchise they have nothing invested in.

And while Gibson is making progress getting back into Hollywood, he's still got work to do, I imagine.

The first is still a brilliant movie.

He was nominated for Best Director at the academy awards last year and is starring in an 80 million dollar family comedy for Paramount this year. I'm not sure how much more progress Gibson needs to make to get back. He's back.

Don't get me wrong. I think he's broken as a movie star.I'm not sure he will ever be seen as that charming lovable dude again. That's long gone. That's why I say you bring back crazy Riggs. Bring back this guy.

kNaOR78.png

• Upvote 4

I didn't mind 3, because I like Rene Russo, but 4.... I know it was Jet Li's introduction to the US movie industry, something to do with people smuggling and Riggs becoming a dad (and Murtaugh becoming a grandfather). 

I'd ask for a Payback sequel but we got that with Get the Gringo (which was bloody excellent).

I seem to recall that LW4 was one of the first DVDs I bought because it was one of the first I could get. 

Maybe I enjoyed the movie more than I thought but seeing it that time on DVD might well have been the only time I saw it.

• Upvote 1

I quite liked reading Despin’s LW5 outline up there! :lol: 

Cliched as all hell, but probably the kind of thing they’d do. Jake Busey as Mr Joshua’s son, obvs. 

• Upvote 1

Apparently it's on... for real on, as in everyone's signed up on!

It’s been a long time since we’ve had a Lethal Weapon film. The original cast is growing older but they’re all still within reason to make a new film. Luckily for all of us, a Hollywood Reporter rountable gives us the answer. Producer Dan Lin dropped the news during the video. “We’re trying to make the last Lethal Weapon movie. And Dick Donner’s coming back. The original cast is coming back. And it’s just amazing. The story is very personal to him. Mel and Danny are ready to go, so it’s about the script.”

This is huge news as it’s the first time we’ve gotten concrete details about a fifth film in the huge action franchise. Danny Glover was most recently in the blockbuster hit Jumanji: The Next Level, Mel Gibson has lain low and tried to make a comeback after his anti-Semitic rant from the mid 2000’s. Richard Donner is 90 years old and hasn’t directed a film since 2006’s underrated gem, 16 Blocks.

My personal hope, as the original Lethal Weapon is one of my favorite films of all time, is that Shane Black can return for the script. Give him one last chance to write the characters that began his career. We’ve had tons of speculation over the years on a fifth film, including the awesome It’s Always Sunny parody. We’ll keep you posted on this developing news as it breaks.

For more on Lethal Weapon, action films, or any other general pop culture, make sure to check back to That Hashtag Show.

http://www.thathashtagshow.com/2020/01/28/lethal-weapon-5-on-its-way-with-original-cast/

Seeing a 73 year old Danny Glover, a 63 year old Mel Gibson, directed by a 90 year old Richard Donner is going to be a hell of a gamble. It's not exactly going to be high octane action is it, but maybe they can pull something classy out of the bag. I thought LW4 gave the franchise closure, I hope this isn't a vanity project which spoils the franchise.

We have the TV series which is perfectly serviceable for nostalgia purposes. 

The only reason for this to exist is because some consortium needs to off-shore a few million for tax evasion purposes.

5 hours ago, DirkCrisis said:

We have the TV series which is perfectly serviceable for nostalgia purposes. 

The only reason for this to exist is because some consortium needs to off-shore a few million for tax evasion purposes.

Or a few of them involved want to keep their SAG benefits and membership. 

Having recently seen Danny Glover in the new Jumanji film it's safe to say he won't be doing much in the film other than walking (slowly).

10 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Having recently seen Danny Glover in the new Jumanji film it's safe to say he won't be doing much in the film other than walking (slowly).

He can spend the film in the bath.

I think the first two are magical.  Hit both my brother and I at the perfect age (dunno, 12ish) where they were violent and adult enough for a thrill, but nothing too dreadful (RoboCop, I'm looking at you).

We both agree we feel sad thinking watching them now because Mel Gibson has turned it a big racist dick and it really eats into the perception you have of their friendship (which really is the heart of them).  What a bum head.

11 hours ago, Bucky said:

I think the first two are magical.  Hit both my brother and I at the perfect age (dunno, 12ish) where they were violent and adult enough for a thrill, but nothing too dreadful (RoboCop, I'm looking at you).

<_< Robocop is a masterpiece, and in particular because of the violence!

But yeah the first two are great - for me it was the scene at the end when both Riggs and the Bad Guy go all GuileSpecial Forces on each other, and the second one because of the racist South Africans who get their comeuppance in amazing ways (the South Africa embassy trolling scene, the pulling-down-their-house-on-the-hill-with-a-truck scene, and "diplomatic immunity.... *BANG*... "has just been revoked").

4 hours ago, Bucky said:

Robocop Is ace.  But it's too violent for 12 year old me.  It's too violent for 44 year old me.

I've always agreed with verhoeven on the violence, it should be disgusting and messy, violence is. Making it more palatable is way more dangerous for audience perception than making it horrible but, Americans. 

I must have seen it on my brother's pirate vhs copy around 12 or so, I thought it was great, still do. :D