rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
therealjohnpeat

Starcraft 2 - Official Thread

If you're fond of the SCII battle reports, you might wanna try watching some pro starcraft, with KlazartSC's commentary.

Quick warning: keep the volume low from the outset. Sound quality's a bit off and Klazart's very excitable and loud.

Woah, the game's editor tools are pretty impressive - there was just a demo of a mini 3rd person Ghost mission someone knocked out in a day and a half. Nova running around the map shooting zerglings, going into underground tunnels, etc. You could pretty much make your own game with this thing from the looks of it...

Wahey! looks like Blizzard may finally have seen the light and are going to be including some form of direct local connection support in their upcoming games:

I asked Canessa whether the solution his team is working on might include a pseudo-LAN connection, where the game would only check in with Battle.net to authenticate before reverting to typical LAN behavior.

"Something like that," he replied. "Maintaining a connection with Battle.net, I don't know if it's once or periodically, but then also having a peer-to-peer connection between players to facilitate a very low-ping, high-bandwidth connection.. those are the things that we're working on."

Diablo III lead designer Jay Wilson also confirmed that Diablo III will treat LAN in the same way that StarCraft II does, meaning that while traditional offline LAN will not be included in that game, it should support any Battle.net solution developed for the RTS.

If nothing else, were Blizzard really expecting Korean Pro-gamers to put up with the vagaries of their battle.net system and temperamental internet connections for tournament-level play?

Looks fantastic. Simply can't understand why the recent Edge preview was so down on SC2.

I've not read it but perhaps it's a mixture of how they'll not dare change much (as Starcraft's market wouldn't like change) and the fact it's been about 11 years since they announced it and people are just a little bored of waiting???

SC was great but it's really hard to imagine this being a mould-breaking game - just a really really polished and modernised version of the original (and thus not really Edge's sort-of-thing?)

Seriously tho - 2-and-a-half-years since it was announced (and screenies were shown) - now I know they like to release things "when they're ready" but they might do better to keep schtum until they are a BIT closer to that readyness in future - it's likely to be close to 3 years from annoucement to release and that's just silly.

As long as they keep releasing Battle Reports I don't care. I love watching that shit, and I know that I'll never be able to play at that level.

I can happily keep on playing CoD and Diablo II and keep watching these vids.

(Ok not really an entirely serious post).

Looks fantastic. Simply can't understand why the recent Edge preview was so down on SC2.

You obviously never saw the review for the original one in Edge :D:)

Though I suppose the mitigating reason would be it was for the base game only, before years of balancing and the addition of Brood War made it into a true classic of the genre.

As long as they keep releasing Battle Reports I don't care. I love watching that shit, and I know that I'll never be able to play at that level.

I can happily keep on playing CoD and Diablo II and keep watching these vids.

I've pretty much decided I wont be bothering to buy this for the reasons above, I'd rather just watch some more amazing battle videos.

The closed beta for this starts today...

I've got an invite. 1.64GB downloading now. Those of you who signed up, check your battle.net account.

I actually let out a girly shriek when I saw it.

It's because Edge is a crock of dogswater.

It's really good, but I'm getting properly beat in the face in the majority of games. I'm out of touch I guess. That being said, it never feels unfair, it's just a case of me learning the game again. Which I'll happily do. :rolleyes: