Has anyone ever had any luck getting hold of the Miles Davis and Prince bootleg? It's difficult sourcing this now Discogs don't allow unofficial releases to be traded. I saw a few kicking about on Moodymann's Instagram the other day as part of his ridiculous shrine and it has rekindled my interest in getting my hands on it.

On 11/06/2020 at 20:18, Fierce Poodle said:

I would give my right bollock to get my mitts on that.

On 11/06/2020 at 17:14, Art Vandelay said:

Has anyone ever had any luck getting hold of the Miles Davis and Prince bootleg? It's difficult sourcing this now Discogs don't allow unofficial releases to be traded. I saw a few kicking about on Moodymann's Instagram the other day as part of his ridiculous shrine and it has rekindled my interest in getting my hands on it.

I have it. Do you want it?

The estate + Warners has gone too far with the Sign Deluxe physical editions this time. The price is fucking tone deaf. Already knew that a 8CD/13LP set was going to be expensive and then some, but a hardback book as well for a rough £50+ hike in cost...

When is the release date for SOTT? Is there going to be an HD Audio download version as there was for 1999?

@Fierce Poodle I found it on Tower records Japan’s website for 10,000 yen - prices on Amazon were 15,000 and rising.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I never understand the mania over SOTT. I mean it’s a magnificent album for sure, but if I had to choose a Prince album to take to a desert island it probably wouldn’t have made it into my top five considerations.

What the actual fuck is this shit I’m reading.

At least I can console myself with the fact that ZOK is a self confessed Toyah apologist and therefore has no right to claim superior musical taste. Or any musical taste for that matter.

Don’t worry Fierce Poodle, I’m with you. SOTT is way up there - there are a couple of tracks I tend to skip (sound a bit dated) but so many untouchable classics, I don’t know how anybody could not rate this album. It has always been badly in need of a remaster IMO so I really can’t wait for the deluxe edition.

There are a few tracks where the cut from the concert film was way better than the one on the album mind you.

This is where it comes on the ZOK list:

1) Dirty Mind

2) Parade

3) 1999

4) Controversy

5) Prince

6) Around the World in a Day / Lovesexy

7) Sign o’ the Times

If I was including Prince related artists in that list, SOTT would fall further...:blah:

EDIT: Also I’d stick the Black album above it but I cba rejigging it now!

There’s not much in it really, but with the exception of IIWYG the tracks on SOTT are more commercial than Lovesexy, and I prefer the weirdness. Also I saw the Lovesexy tour (SOTT was rained off, of course) so it holds a special place in my heart.

But then Purple Rain doesn’t get into the reach of that list, and Baby I’m A Star is better than anything on either album!

It just doesn’t do it for me in that way. I love it of course, but it’s just not my Prince thing in the  way a B side like Hello is, or Love or Money for example.

Is this better than SOTT? Most Prince fans would say no way, but for me it’s more real Prince than SOTT will ever be. No complexity, just purity. I’m never in a hurry to hear SOTT, but this I could listen to forever:

If you’re talking about the song SotT, purity is absolutely one of the best words I’d use to describe it. It’s stripped back and minimal in the extreme. Fire bars over a Linn drum machine with just enough badass guitar coming in here and there for an added bit of flavour. It’s so fucking good, and that’s even before he rapping sings about AIDS, heroin and machine guns.

10 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

If you’re talking about the song Sign o the Times

Purity is absolutely one of the best words I’d use to describe it

It’s stripped back and minimal in the extreme

Fire bars over a Linn drum machine with just enough badass guitar coming in here and there for an added bit of flavour

It’s so fucking good, and that’s even before he rapping sings about AIDS, heroin and machine guns

Dah do do dooow

Da da-da dooooow

(For some reason I read that with the SotT music in my head, so I've added in the funky bass required at the end)

On 29/07/2020 at 11:35, ZOK said:

This is where it comes on the ZOK list:

1) Dirty Mind

2) Parade

3) 1999

4) Controversy

5) Prince

6) Around the World in a Day / Lovesexy

7) Sign o’ the Times

If I was including Prince related artists in that list, SOTT would fall further...:blah:

EDIT: Also I’d stick the Black album above it but I cba rejigging it now!

I'd prefer to say anything from 79 (and a bit of 78) to 88 is essential in my book, like a flat line of greatness that you can juggle around depending on mood. I'm sure Dirty Mind didn't start off as your favourite, but ended up there over time. 

At least there is no NPG post 90 stuff in that list, although you missed out Purple Rain you pleb!

I've been catching up on a lot of post Prince albums that I missed out in his no major label contract wilderness years, and I've really enjoyed Rainbow Children and the One Nite Alone set - with probably his best live band setup since the SOTT crew and The Revolution, although no Eric Leeds. I still steer clear of the NPG band nonsense though.

I recently replayed the Graffiti Bridge album and it wasn't as bad as I remember largely (the last couple of tracks are awful, and he fucked up the start of Joy in Repetition, the best track on it)

On 03/08/2020 at 02:13, englishbob said:

I'd prefer to say anything from 79 (and a bit of 78) to 88 is essential in my book, like a flat line of greatness that you can juggle around depending on mood. I'm sure Dirty Mind didn't start off as your favourite, but ended up there over time. 

At least there is no NPG post 90 stuff in that list, although you missed out Purple Rain you pleb!

I've been catching up on a lot of post Prince albums that I missed out in his no major label contract wilderness years, and I've really enjoyed Rainbow Children and the One Nite Alone set - with probably his best live band setup since the SOTT crew and The Revolution, although no Eric Leeds. I still steer clear of the NPG band nonsense though.

I recently replayed the Graffiti Bridge album and it wasn't as bad as I remember largely (the last couple of tracks are awful, and he fucked up the start of Joy in Repetition, the best track on it)

I love big swathes of Graffiti Bridge and I don’t care who knows it. I find Rainbow Children a bit creepy though. I just put down an outrageous 650 Aussie dollars on the SOTT deluxe cos it’s my birthday and fuck it.

On 03/08/2020 at 07:52, Darwock said:

Sympathy negged, as you are missing out massively by not rating The Gold Experience.

:P

Not really, I just don't rate it at all, like most 90's Prince. 

Maybe if it was a big album for you during your youth, but its not a classic IMO. I know many will disagree, it has a few good songs on it, but tracks like P Control and Billy Jack Bitch are bloody awful.

That 90's sound (not just Prince) has dated as-badly as the 80s did, maybe more