September 04

August 04

July 04

June 04

May 04

April 04

March 04

February 04

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miscellaneous Classic Material From the Forum's Crates

The Perfect CD for a Hip-Hop Virgin

Recommend Me Some Classic... Hip-Hop! (focusing on Golden Era late 80s/early 90s classics)

Recommend Me Some Modern... Hip-Hop! (mid 90s til the modern era)

Common - Like Water For Chocolate... and 'conscious' hip-hop (recommending jazzier, smoother, socio-political stuff rather than gangsta/street LPs)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links

www.suspect-packages.co.uk

www.scenariorecords.com

www.rootdownrecords.com

www.rapandsoulmailorder.com

www.juno.co.uk

www.picadillyrecords.com

www.turntablelab.com

www.hiphopsite.com

www.ukhh.com

www.skratch-alienz.com

www.sandboxautomatic.com

www.daybydayent.com

www.thegiantpeach.com

www.hiphop-blogs.com/hiphop/

www.digitalgravel.com

Four Elements (old-skool videos)

http://www.hiphopgame.co.uk/audio.php

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recommended Radio Shows

XFM – 11pm-1am Saturdays

Beats FM – 9pm-11pm Saturdays

Hiphopphilosophy.com 24/7 hip hop radio

WeFunk Radio

UGGH Radio

Recommended Internet TV shows

The Breakdown (Yo Mtv Raps mix of interviews and videos)

BBC1's - The History Of Hip Hop

Classic Hip hop videos

Spinemagazines essential youtube video list

Blogs & Podcasts

Rhymesandbeats.com

Strawp's Props

Venemous Villain Blog

Old Skool video blog

Strictly Beats Instrumentals blog

:(

Mad Izm...headnod classic! Did anyone see the comment about KRS' new album? Produced by Marley...damn I hope it's good.

Check The Rhime...beautiful, beautiful Hip Hop :(

:( at Psycho Les....that's my shit!! :(

I read something the other day about Psycho Les, Al Tariq & Problemz forming a new group...wonder what's happened to Ju-Ju...

Just ordered some albums I've been trying to get my mits on for years....Demon Boyz 'Recognition' and Intelligent Hoodlum (Tragedy Khadafi) 'Intelligent Hoodlum/Saga Of A Hoodlum' (Double CD!!)...at last!! Oh and I got the 17 years late Ultimate Force album 'I'm Not Playin'...my namesake's first group B)

Also...Juggaknots and Brooklyn Academy are playing in London in June...may have to be checked.

Mad Izm...headnod classic! Did anyone see the comment about KRS' new album? Produced by Marley...damn I hope it's good.

Oh this reminds me that Marley played a real hype track off that album over the weekend in Edinburgh. It was approximately one hour before I whitied and spewed, so I don't remember specifics, but I do recall a good crowd reaction to it.

Plus, Dai, I'm guessing as a promoter you might have met The Beatnuts? I saw them play a half empty venue, again in tha 'Burgh, a coupla years back. After their set the pair of them just cold strolled about the small crowd, drinking alchopops and shooting the shit with fans. Amongst the nicest musicians I've met. You wouldn't have known it from their ignorant nihilism on wax :(

51RN3ze7J8L._SS500_.jpg

I'm about two thirds of the way through this. I didn't pay for it, obviously, but I've enjoyed most of it. A lot of the stuff in there isn't stuff I like listening to for the most past, but learning more about the scenes and origins has been a rewarding experience.

Also: Dizogg – you forgot to put the April 2007 link in the first post.

So, yeah. One of my housemates at Uni went out with this guy. Always seemed like a decent enough fella - use to make cups of tea, and that. No idea whether he's any good or not as this isn't my type of music, but I'm assuming you lot will be able to tell.

Plus, Dai, I'm guessing as a promoter you might have met The Beatnuts? I saw them play a half empty venue, again in tha 'Burgh, a coupla years back. After their set the pair of them just cold strolled about the small crowd, drinking alchopops and shooting the shit with fans. Amongst the nicest musicians I've met. You wouldn't have known it from their ignorant nihilism on wax :unsure:

I'm sure it's the same with a lot of rappers. Nah, I've seen them 3/4 times but never actually met The 'Nuts...but I have the slight claim to fame of supplying them with 'mad izm' once....a promoter I know was putting them on and they requested a fat sack of the sticky icky...so I was asked if I could sort it and duly obliged...it was damn good shit too, but they still put on a decent show :(

I haven't done any proper promoting for a while now tbh...had a small night called 'Don't Sleep!' running but we're currently homeless :lol:

I'm about two thirds of the way through this. I didn't pay for it, obviously, but I've enjoyed most of it. A lot of the stuff in there isn't stuff I like listening to for the most past, but learning more about the scenes and origins has been a rewarding experience.

Also: Dizogg – you forgot to put the April 2007 link in the first post.

Sounds interesting Mr Isaacs....following the constant battling between Trill, myself and others that used to go on this board about crunk and dirty South rap an' all that about a year or two ago I actually went and listened to a whole lot of stuff that I must admit I usually would have dismissed....old & new West Coast/Bay Area stuff, old & new Rap-A-Lot and Southern stuff....I actually found myself liking a lot of the older shit :unsure:

A lot of it came from this blog...

Cocaine, Blunts & Hip Hop Tapes

It's changed a little bit now but the guy used to post up lots of old 'gangster rap' mp3's, amongst other East coast gems.

Is my backpackers license revoked due to this admission?

So, yeah. One of my housemates at Uni went out with this guy. Always seemed like a decent enough fella - use to make cups of tea, and that. No idea whether he's any good or not as this isn't my type of music, but I'm assuming you lot will be able to tell.

Hmmm...I usually try to give positive feedback...I presume that he's English yeah? I detect a bit of a Yank twang in there, which is a no-no for MC's from the UK these days (as it should be, unless you do speak like that)...plus his rhymes are pretty awkward in parts...I'd say he needs a lot of work as an MC, though there are some promising signs. Oh and the beat's quite nice.

Anyway...peep this...it's dope imo...

Joell Ortiz - Brooklyn Bullshit

Anyway...peep this...it's dope imo...

Joell Ortiz - Brooklyn Bullshit

Nice, just this second been looking for some of Joell Ortiz's stuff after reading a review in the new HHC. Like what I hear (although the link seems to be screwed for some reason).

I'm enjoying this at the moment, free mixtape from Mick Boogie and Marco Polo

Marco Polo and Mick Boogie - Newport Authority Free Mixtape

Marco Polo is a producer for the Boot Camp Clik and it's full of all that NYC sound, real good stuff. His new album is getting some positive reviews too, might be one to look out for.

Hmmm...I usually try to give positive feedback...I presume that he's English yeah? I detect a bit of a Yank twang in there, which is a no-no for MC's from the UK these days (as it should be, unless you do speak like that)...plus his rhymes are pretty awkward in parts...I'd say he needs a lot of work as an MC, though there are some promising signs. Oh and the beat's quite nice.

Yeah, he's English. His lady always used to go on about him being a rapper, which I could never see - because in reality he's a nice, quite quiet lad. I'm not a fan of rap so my ears sorta blocked that bit out - don't mind the actual music, mind.

Nice, just this second been looking for some of Joell Ortiz's stuff after reading a review in the new HHC. Like what I hear (although the link seems to be screwed for some reason).

I'm enjoying this at the moment, free mixtape from Mick Boogie and Marco Polo

Marco Polo and Mick Boogie - Newport Authority Free Mixtape

Marco Polo is a producer for the Boot Camp Clik and it's full of all that NYC sound, real good stuff. His new album is getting some positive reviews too, might be one to look out for.

His tracks were amongst my favourite from The Last Stand so I'll be checking this out, cheers bph!

This offended me. Gareth Gates' flow is better than this shit. I even left a comment to try and get him to stop trying to be an MC and go back to his job at HSBC or whatever.

Anyone going to Drop Beats Not Bombs at the Custard Factory in Birmingham on Saturday and Sunday? Theres a hip hop room each night with Kashmere performing on the Sunday. Also Jehst with DJ IQ and Asaviour playing the launch party on Friday but that's invite only. Might still be some left though. Havn't actually heard of most of the others on the line-up myself so can some people with UK knowledge tell me who'll be worth seeing? Hip hop rooms are Mic Club for the Saturday and Speakers Corner on Sunday.

post-7088-1178142996_thumb.jpg

That's the worst thing I've ever heard.

There's a link to a GTA Vice City motorcycle stunts video on that page that gave me a big grin, so cheers! :(

Whats VICE mean anyway?

Oh and WTF is the Mid-west Connect?

Is that like...a train service in Birmingham?

I never hear any actual words in rap. Well, ones used in like Snap! and The Real McCoy, I did. But not stuff like this.

I'm not sure he'll take any notice.

He seems to have his own record label, somehow.

Look i've got my own record label too. It's called Gangsta-De-La-Zouch Records. There. Aren't I successful.

http://www.hollywoodrag.com/index.php?/web...ord_and_camron/

O to the muthafuckin' G

Uncle Howie & Perfect Game in association with WMG presents

ILL BILL - "The Hour Of Reprisal" in stores 9/11/07

I figured I'd hit all of you with my first update about the record so here it is. "The Hour Of Reprisal" is pretty much done. Carlos Bess and I just finished mixing a track that I produced featuring HR and Daryl from the Bad Brains that I'm really psyched about. We have about 90% of the album mixed so far. At the moment we're waiting for Necro and Muggs to add some finishing touches to some tracks they produced before we mix 'em. One of the tracks Muggs did will actually be the album closer and it already sounds crazy. Everlast sung the hook, while Necro, Tech N9ne and me each spit a verse. I can't wait to hear what Muggs is adding to it. He did another track on the record that was basically a loop when I originally layed my vocals but now sounds like a movie soundtrack with a bunch of different mood swings and change ups. I've been waiting to work with Muggs for a long time now and it's been an incredible experience clicking up with him for "The Hour".

I did a track with Immortal Technique called "War Is My Destiny" that Max Cavalera of Soulfly/Sepultura fame heard and said he's gonna drop a hook on. Howard Jones from Killswitch Engage is gonna lay down a hook on a track that T-Ray did. For those that remember, Todd did the remix to "C.I.A." from "The Future Is Now" album. This track is a bit different for the obvious reason that it's not a remix, but also cos he tailor made this track specifically for me and really hit the nail on the head with it. So once Max and Howard's parts are done, all the vocals will be complete. In a pefect world we'll be mastering the record by May 15, but let's say June 1st just to be safe! There's a bunch more I could say right now in terms of special guests and producers (wait til you hear "Coka Moshiach" ft. Raekwon..think Cuban Linx era Wu..Rae said it, not me..) but I'll leave that for the next update.

In the meantime, marketing plans are being set into motion, video treatments are being plotted, tours are being routed and the album cover,lyric booklet and poster is being masterfully created by Larry Carroll right now. Here'a little blurb I found about Larry on the internets :

"Larry Carroll is an artist who has worked for The Progressive, The Village Voice and the New York Times drawing political illustrations. Carrolls most notable work is designing the artwork for the American thrash metal band Slayer's album covers. Carroll designed the artwork for Reign in Blood, South of Heaven, Seasons in the Abyss and Christ Illusion. Christ Illusion was banned in India for its graphic art depicting Christ mutilated with missing limbs, in a sea of blood with severed heads."

Having him work on "The Hour Of Reprisal" is an honor. Artwise he's not slowing down on the controversy either. This works out perfect cos lyrically this will be my most controversial record yet. Saying anything with the least bit of meaning on a rap song these days is controversial enough but I have a whole lot to say this time around and I don't bite my tongue for anybody.

That's it for now. if anybody has any questions about the record, respond to this at :

http://blog.myspace.com/illbill

and I'll try to answer it in the next update.

-B

P.S. About the "Awaiting The Hour" CD. Not sure the exact status of this yet but I'm trying to cram in another mixtape for June to tied you guys over til 9/11 :

"LA COKA NOSTRA Presents ILL BILL - AWAITING THE HOUR" Featuring LCN, STYLES P, OC, JERU THE DAMAJA, KILLAH PRIEST & more..."

I'll give you an update on this next time also.

-B

316646561_l.jpg

Ill Canni Bill & HR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phat Kat - Carte Blanche

01. Nasty Ain't It? (prod. by J Dilla) 02:39

02. Get It Started (prod. by Young RJ) 02:06

03. My Old Label (prod. by J Dilla) 02:29

04. Cold Steel (feat. Elzhi) (prod. by J Dilla) 03:47

05. Danger (feat. T3 & Black Milk) (prod. by Black Milk) 03:35

06. Vessels (feat. Truth Hurst) (prod. by Nick Speed) 04:37

07. Lovely (feat. Melanie Rutherford) (prod. by Young RJ) 03:14

08. Cash Em Out (feat. Loe Louis) (prod. by Black Milk) 02:20

09. Game Time (prod. by J Dilla) 03:38

10. Survival Kit (prod. by Black Milk) 02:31

11. Nightmare (feat. Guilty Simpson) (prod. by Nick Speed) 03:09

12. Hard Enuff (feat. Fat Ray) (prod. by Black Milk) 03:13

13. True Story Pt. 2 (prod. by Young RJ) 04:05

14. Don't Nobody Care About Us (prod. by J Dilla) 04:27

Look i've got my own record label too. It's called Gangsta-De-La-Zouch Records. There. Aren't I successful.

I'd say you've hit similar levels of success, diz.