depends what you want to emulate. last time I checked speccy emulation on the PSP was pretty crude.

The latest version PSPectrum works well. 128K, AY sound, savestates, fully configurable controls. It's a port of Fuse.

Criticisms: pretty crude interface and no +3 disk support as far as I can tell. Sound occasionally glitchy but entering and exiting the menu sorts it.

• 2 months later...
The GP2X would be awesome if it weren't for the shitty joystick, crappy battery life and weedy speakers. If they fixed those and made all the processors stable at 300Mhz instead of one in a dozen, I'd buy a new one.

I've had a recent urge to have handheld MAME. I was thinking of buying a UMPC just for that, before I realised this could be an option for a tenth of the cost. Does stuff like Tempest and other vector games work well on the GP2X?

If you are close to the end of a mobile phone contract I would suggest upgrading to a HTC Windows Mobile:

http://www.europe.htc.com/products/

They are basically 3G enabled Pocket PC Smartphones. Each mobile operator has their own branding for them, I own the Orange SPV M3100 (HTC TyTN).

I've got MAME CE3 running the old classics, Final Burn (running Capcom CPS1&2, Cave and NEOGEO MVS), Picodrive (running Megadrive) and Pocket SNES. All run perfect in full screen at full speed with sound. With a 2Gb card I've probably got about 300 games as well as Pocket TV for watching films. Awesome! I havn't bothered using my PSP for months.

There are C64 and Spectrum emulators too, and I believe a working Amiga as well but I havn't tried them yet. Check out the forum at Modaco:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=Search...te=%2Bmasterall

If you are close to the end of a mobile phone contract I would suggest upgrading to a HTC Windows Mobile:

http://www.europe.htc.com/products/

They are basically 3G enabled Pocket PC Smartphones. Each mobile operator has their own branding for them, I own the Orange SPV M3100 (HTC TyTN).

I've got MAME CE3 running the old classics, Final Burn (running Capcom CPS1&2, Cave and NEOGEO MVS), Picodrive (running Megadrive) and Pocket SNES. All run perfect in full screen at full speed with sound. With a 2Gb card I've probably got about 300 games as well as Pocket TV for watching films. Awesome! I havn't bothered using my PSP for months.

There are C64 and Spectrum emulators too, and I believe a working Amiga as well but I havn't tried them yet. Check out the forum at Modaco:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=Search...te=%2Bmasterall

Shit controls is the issue with PDA devices.

Shit controls is the issue with PDA devices.

True, playing Street Fighter is pointless, but Sonic, Mario, DoDonPachi, Metal Slug, Devil Crush, Gouls n Ghosts etc all play very well. I use the landscape screen and hold the device with the joypad to the left, just like holding a gameboy, and you can map the keys to whatever buttons you wish.

Mame on the GP2X is great. Tempest it works perfect and I'd expect the rest of the vector games to run just as good.

Yay! Ordered. I do have an HTC Artemis already, but as Gingerling pointed out, controls are shit-to-unplayable for many of my favourite MAME games.