Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Preacher

2 hours ago, dumpster said:

Circle of the Moon is brilliant, very much underrated at the time (probably because on the GBA launch you couldn't see the screen).  But it does seem exceptionally stingy in dropping the DDS cards. If you get the opportunity I like to recommend the romhack which puts them in the hidden rooms as pickups.  

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4725/

Or just cheat in the retail version. Choose a dss card combo that you have, press the trigger button to activate the card combo then IMMEDIATELY go into the menu and change to another card combo you don't already have.  This gets you every card combo to play with at any time.  The DSS system is one of the best things about the game and it's crazy how few of these cards it gives you in regular play.

Didn’t they fix the stinginess in Advance Collection?

5 hours ago, dumpster said:

Circle of the Moon is brilliant, very much underrated at the time (probably because on the GBA launch you couldn't see the screen).  But it does seem exceptionally stingy in dropping the DDS cards. If you get the opportunity I like to recommend the romhack which puts them in the hidden rooms as pickups.  

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4725/

Or just cheat in the retail version. Choose a dss card combo that you have, press the trigger button to activate the card combo then IMMEDIATELY go into the menu and change to another card combo you don't already have.  This gets you every card combo to play with at any time.  The DSS system is one of the best things about the game and it's crazy how few of these cards it gives you in regular play.

I got the last one today (Unicorn) using a guide. Never would have gone back into the Battle Arena so more than happy I looked it up.

The final form of Dracula went down very fast to the Thunderbird.

Harmony of Dissonance next. It’s…not right is it. It just feels really off to me, the tightness in the controls is gone and the garish GFX and sound are horrible. 

Yes I believe the Castlevania collection tells you which enemy drops which card so you can identify the gaps and farm the ones you need. But having said that one of the cards (Black something) drops from one single enemy in one room, 1% of the time. Meanwhile you'll have 1000 meats in your inventory.  It's surely not intentional to make it so hard. The cards are meant to be integral to the game yet you can finish the whole thing and only have about 4 cards drop.  I've used Cheat Engine to raise the luck value to maximum and it makes very little difference ; you get way more drops but the cards don't seem to drop more often. For me the ideal mechanics would be to have the drops linked to the map coverage.  Make sure every player gets a fair smattering of cards to mess with .

9 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I got the last one today (Unicorn) using a guide. Never would have gone back into the Battle Arena so more than happy I looked it up.

The final form of Dracula went down very fast to the Thunderbird.

Harmony of Dissonance next. It’s…not right is it. It just feels really off to me, the tightness in the controls is gone and the garish GFX and sound are horrible. 

I have a weird soft spot for HoD as its music and sound effects remind me of old 8-bit computer audio output. It really tried to overcompensate for every criticism CotM suffered. The result is a nigh-on perfect clone of SotN, in concept. The execution is a bit flawed, though I very much enjoyed it on my Advance Collection run last year. The one thing that it suffers from the most on modern systems, is that while CotM was created without the GBA screen in mind, HoD never bothered to think it would run on anything else instead. Taking colour saturation down might actually help you enjoy it more.

Yes, I can see why they made it brighter, but that blue glow around the main sprite is hideous and I never liked the weird ghosting on Alucard in SotN either. The animation is pretty poor too, when you run it looks really peculiar, like he’s flat footed.

And yes, the originally dark CotM graphics actually look great on a modern screen. I may well knock down the saturation as you suggest.

The music is pretty grating and after the super memorable tunes in CotM (which I’ve had in my head occasionally since 2001!) no amount of 8-bit nostalgia is going to cut it I fear. 

@dumpsterI got lucky with the Black Dog card, as it dropped on one of my 100 + runs through the battle arena.

I really liked the second half of SOTN, very difficult but I addresses a criticism I have with a lot of games.  Take Resident Evil games for example.  You start off with a handgun.  There are loads of other weapons but stuff like the Magnum only appears when you're three quarters of the way through.  Metroid games give you a powerful character with great weapons but all you get to do with that character is the escape at the end. It's nice to have the new game plus modes which are a comparatively recent addition but back in SOTN PS1 era you didn't have much opportunity to explore further with your powered up character. The reverse castle seemed to be completely optional to me as well which was great. You can decide personally whether you're playing to 100% or 200% and enjoy running riot with your powered up weapons if you want to.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I caught that the other day. It's pretty amazing to see how much stuff was in there, even if it was a bit janky.

(BTW, don't be put off by the gurning thumbnail; SSFF is generally pretty great at documenting lost curios. :) )

I actually had a Game.com briefly, when I went mad for a bit trying to collect every handheld console ever made. It was, of course, terrible. I think I had the RE game for it - completely unplayable.

I also had a PC Engine GT for a bit, which I deeply regret selling.

In Castlevania news, I finished Harmony of Dissonance with the best ending, and overall despite my gripes I really enjoyed it. Some really fun bosses and some interesting little gameplay challenges, like the races against the big marble/boulder. The two castles weren't quite the inventive Dark/Light world you'd ideally want, but it made for some variety at least.

Playing Aria of Sorrow now though, and it's clear that they nailed it this time around. Looks great, plays great, sounds great. I thought I'd have some mild Castlevania fatigue with this being my 4th on the bounce, but no - straight back into it.