Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Preacher

Yeah, I just started that bit. Already knew about it sadly, must have been an amazing reveal at the time.

I had a good time years ago with the first GBA game. Tempted to get the GBA collection next. Any reason I shouldn’t? And what’s the best way to play the DS games? I have a PS4 and Laptop currently, but I’m possibly getting a Switch soon, finally! 

9 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

And what’s the best way to play the DS games? I have a PS4 and Laptop currently, but I’m possibly getting a Switch soon, finally! 

Probably emulated on the laptop 😕

Dawn of Sorrow is wonderful though. Well worth playing, and second only to Symphony of the Night for me.

With the shield rod you have to equip a shield in the other hand and then press a button combo (I think it's left-hand attack and right-hand attack together?) to activate a particular shield perk. The perk activation eats into your blue bar but a lot of them last long after the bar's refilled. Some perks aren't great, others (Alucard shield) are hilariously OP.

On 13/11/2022 at 21:03, Paulando said:

Probably emulated on the laptop 😕

Dawn of Sorrow is wonderful though. Well worth playing, and second only to Symphony of the Night for me.

And don't forget Bloodstained, a true Castlevania Sotn follow up in all but name.

24 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Castlevania Advance Collection is a thing. (Sadly, there's no DS Collection. Yet.)

Yes, I started Circle of the Moon already, which I think is the only one I played on the OG GBA. It’s so nice to actually be able to see it!

I have to say, I’ve not enjoyed the second half of SotN nearly as much. The joy of exploration is pretty much gone as you can access any area with your abilities and the initial challenge of the tougher enemies has been completely ruined by the Crissaegrim. I’ll wrap it up tonight I think. Still a great, great game, but I almost think it’d be better without the second half. Probably blasphemy I know, but I’m here for the slow map reveal as you get new abilities, and this is more of a collectathon.

4 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Yes, I started Circle of the Moon already, which I think is the only one I played on the OG GBA. It’s so nice to actually be able to see it!

I have to say, I’ve not enjoyed the second half of SotN nearly as much. The joy of exploration is pretty much gone as you can access any area with your abilities and the initial challenge of the tougher enemies has been completely ruined by the Crissaegrim. I’ll wrap it up tonight I think. Still a great, great game, but I almost think it’d be better without the second half. Probably blasphemy I know, but I’m here for the slow map reveal as you get new abilities, and this is more of a collectathon.

It's funny because SotN solves the issue of most metroidvanias: normally the game ends when you've got all your abilities unlocked. So in SotN's case it lets you run rampant with all your toys and even throws in a few more. It's a victory lap, really. It also shows why most metroidvanias don't do that: it can be pretty mindless. Though the Crissaegrim really takes any bite out of it that was left.

23 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I saw that, but it didn't scratch the pixel art itch at all. 

Try, Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth.

Came out fairly recently and is a love letter to SOTN. On game pass too. 

Finished with some of the map still to find. 

I can absolutely see why this is a classic game and I’m really glad I played it. However the final half of the game was a bit tedious for the reasons I’ve already given, and apart from one spectacular boss near the end it left me feeling a bit flat.

Playing Circle of the Moon now though and I kinda prefer it…

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly finished Circle of the Moon. Great game, and although it was only the second Metroidvania style game in the series it fees very refined. The DSS system is fun, and the ease of movement is a step up from SotN for me. For example, the Roc Wing is a simple Up + R1, as opposed to the Down, Up + Circle (I think) of SotN's equivalent, the gravity jump, and you can double tap to run. No ridiculous back-dashing to get around faster.

I also don't remember the Battle Arena from playing it on the GBA, but I'm addicted to trying to perfect my run and complete it (think I reached the final room last night), before I do the last boss. I found an insane video from 12 years ago of a guy doing a no-hit, no sub-weapons run. The minotaur room is ridiculous!

Highly recommend the GBA Advance Collection on PS store.

Circle of the Moon is brilliant, very much underrated at the time (probably because on the GBA launch you couldn't see the screen).  But it does seem exceptionally stingy in dropping the DDS cards. If you get the opportunity I like to recommend the romhack which puts them in the hidden rooms as pickups.  

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4725/

Or just cheat in the retail version. Choose a dss card combo that you have, press the trigger button to activate the card combo then IMMEDIATELY go into the menu and change to another card combo you don't already have.  This gets you every card combo to play with at any time.  The DSS system is one of the best things about the game and it's crazy how few of these cards it gives you in regular play.