Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

3 hours ago, Sketch said:

I take back everything I said about the Hard Patch for this.

It was great fun through the normal castle, which I completed. It forced you to use all your tactics, all your items, all your spells. I would regularly make use of Dark Metamorphoses to heal myself (cast it, then attack a blood spewing enemy for the blood to heal you). In the normal game you will never, ever need it. The patch showed the game to have arobust system of mechanics.

Then I get to the inverted castle and the patch author does what pretty much every rebalance patch creator does: make the game ludicrously stupidly hard.

This is wrong and stupid. It's easy to make a hard game. To quote Rob Fulop: "Make a room with a door and a wizard guarding it, and the wizard says: I'm thinking of a number between one and a million."

Creating a balanced and enjoyable challenge is much trickier, as this patch shows.

Good point that, I read an article years ago about a chess game (Battle chess maybe) and the interviewer has mentioned the famous chess game where IBMs computers beat a chess champ.  The programmers responded that yes , it's impressive to program a computer with artificial intelligence that can beat a chess master, but it's possibly more of a challenge to program artificial stupidity.  Before the game begins you get to choose a skill level of your opponent from 1 to 10.  Programming, say, a level 6 opponent means writing code that's pretty proficient at playing chess but prone to making human like mistakes. it's more work to create profiles of play styles that offer different levels of challenge than to create a chess master that's virtually impossible to beat

• Upvote 1
On 01/09/2020 at 11:00, Calashnikov said:

The inverted castle is pretty hard in any case. The enemies hit like a truck. Guess the patch just scales everything up in accordance with how it toughened up the regular castle? If the easy regular castle becomes hard, then it maybe makes sense that the difficult inverted castle goes balls hard.

A good theory. But the patch author has said they tweaked every enemy, item, and weapon manually. Which is sort of noticeable in a couple cases. I just think they were more interested in making it balls hard, intentionally, than rebalancing it. Ideally I'd like a patch that adjust everything rather than scaling it all up.

23 hours ago, dumpster said:

Good point that, I read an article years ago about a chess game (Battle chess maybe) and the interviewer has mentioned the famous chess game where IBMs computers beat a chess champ.  The programmers responded that yes , it's impressive to program a computer with artificial intelligence that can beat a chess master, but it's possibly more of a challenge to program artificial stupidity.  Before the game begins you get to choose a skill level of your opponent from 1 to 10.  Programming, say, a level 6 opponent means writing code that's pretty proficient at playing chess but prone to making human like mistakes. it's more work to create profiles of play styles that offer different levels of challenge than to create a chess master that's virtually impossible to beat

This is very true. It's something I noticed with fighting games. The AI is either a walkover because you can do something like a leg sweep over and over, or it's a vertical wall of pain trying to win. There's not the flexibility you find in human opponents.

From what I read on another forum the patch author did it by hacking in assembly, rather than using some sort of tool to adjust figures from a drop-down menu.

However...

There was a tool way back in 2012?

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=11315.0