Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

10 hours ago, Sketch said:

For anyone thinking it's too easy, the Hard Mode patch is surprisingly very well done. I patched the PS1 game and run it on PSIO on original hardware. They've rebalanced absolutely everything, and it now gives you a reason to make use of all the tat and junk items you find.

I'll have to give this a try. Thanks!

OK, I’d appreciate a steer right now if anyone could give me a hint. I’ve just got the ability to summon the oarsman and not sure where to go next. 

Spoiler

There’s a telescope I can look through which shows me what appears to be an oarsman in a boat and when I check where that should be on the map I ca see there’s a room at the top of the big drop down into the underground caverns and while I have the double jump I don’t seem able to make it across since I bump my head on the ceiling and can’t get a full arc in my jump. 

Looking at the map I can’t see anywhere else to go - I’m guessing the very top of the map is where Drac is but, again, my double jump seems insufficient to make progress there. 

Edit - just found Olrox’s Quarters, might be fine for a bit after all!

I bought Symphony of the Night on 360 but couldn't get into it, despite trying a few times. I've even downloaded it once on Xbox one to play via backwards compatibility and still no good. 

Maybe I'll give it another shot...

10 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

:lol:

Yea, I know, I know - I did watch the Boss Keys video after all, the whole game has been - I don’t want to say spoiled because after 23 years that would be less than charitable, but laid out and picked over, anyway. 

It’s kinda exciting to know there’s much more in there and I just have to figure out how to unlock it. Plus, after a weekend of being on it, it’s a good cliffhanger to leave off from. 

Of course I kinda figured you would surely already know about the ol’ switcheroo, but since you’re talking about going to see some as yet undiscovered areas, you might also wanna take a closer look at that Richter boy while you’re looking 8-)

FWIW, the inverted castle is arguably a better idea on paper than it is in practice, but it’s still worth playing for the new tunes, the campy kitsch palette swap, the tougher enemies and the opportunity to righteously kick you-know-who’s cunt in.

Enjoyed reading this thread again over the weekend after the recent bump. I fired up the Castlevania Collection on the Switch, as that’s all I had to hand, but none of the games scratched the Symphony itch. As mentioned several times in the thread, Alucard’s movement is a pleasure in itself.

Just checked the PS Store and the Rondo/SotN double pack is on sale - £5.59 until 2nd September. Will be buying that this evening. Bargain!

5C019794-5531-44FF-BD29-DAF069C5CAC1.thumb.jpeg.77ec47e62eb62696ed1eb3447b80d5cc.jpeg

Had another wee go at it tonight. I can see 3 areas I don’t seem able to reach:

Spoiler

A door marked in the clockwork room, which on investigation is blocked

An exit from the underground waterways covered by a wooden bridge

A blue door at the end of a corridor covered in spikes 

I'm also still not able to go in water, which is preventing me from getting a sweet pair of creps behind a waterfall. And I haven’t been able to find that pesky ferry man. Hmmm. 

Any hints?

45 minutes ago, Popo said:

Had another wee go at it tonight. I can see 3 areas I don’t seem able to reach:

Hide contents

A door marked in the clockwork room, which on investigation is blocked

An exit from the underground waterways covered by a wooden bridge

A blue door at the end of a corridor covered in spikes 

I'm also still not able to go in water, which is preventing me from getting a sweet pair of creps behind a waterfall. And I haven’t been able to find that pesky ferry man. Hmmm. 

Any hints?

Read the descriptions of the items you pick up.

Had a quick go on Requiem: SotN - played until I met the librarian. I used the quick save option at one point, but it took me back to the main menu and when I loaded my file again I was back at the last save room. Does it not work?

1 hour ago, acidbearboy said:

Had a quick go on Requiem: SotN - played until I met the librarian.

Come on man, you can’t go around mentioning that guy without posting one of the all-time bangers in gaming :quote:

22 hours ago, dumpster said:

Read the descriptions of the items you pick up.

Ive checked my items and... none of them seem to have useful descriptions. Is there a particular item you’d like me to look at? :eyebrows:

Spoiler

I don't specifically remember any illogical moments, pushing a switch would remove a barrier that was next to another switch somewhere else for example. But I do remember there was a lot of potential backtracking, the game does allow you to go a fair distance in the "wrong" direction (that is to say, there are areas that the game will let you enter, knowing there is a dead end and you don't have the stuff you need yet).  No shame in using a walkthrough if you feel stuck.

4 hours ago, Popo said:

Yes I have this... item... but apparently I need another... item... for it to work. :unsure:

There's another ring and you wear two together. The second ring has 2 words with .... ..... , Same as the one you have.  When you wear both you get a complete sentence.

5 hours ago, dumpster said:

Hide contents

There's another ring and you wear two together. The second ring has 2 words with .... ..... , Same as the one you have.  When you wear both you get a complete sentence.

I had to cheat last night to figure out how to get past the wooden floor in the caverns, don’t think I would have figured that out to be honest, even though the game did apparently show me a hint earlier on, which I don’t remember. So anyway, I’ve now found the catacombs and look forward to exploring them tonight. :)

There was also a breakable floor somewhere in the caverns that I only found out about by looking up how to walk in water without being injured - the phrase ‘do one’ comes to mind! How the hell is one supposed to work that out?!

I take back everything I said about the Hard Patch for this.

It was great fun through the normal castle, which I completed. It forced you to use all your tactics, all your items, all your spells. I would regularly make use of Dark Metamorphoses to heal myself (cast it, then attack a blood spewing enemy for the blood to heal you). In the normal game you will never, ever need it. The patch showed the game to have arobust system of mechanics.

Then I get to the inverted castle and the patch author does what pretty much every rebalance patch creator does: make the game ludicrously stupidly hard.

This is wrong and stupid. It's easy to make a hard game. To quote Rob Fulop: "Make a room with a door and a wizard guarding it, and the wizard says: I'm thinking of a number between one and a million."

Creating a balanced and enjoyable challenge is much trickier, as this patch shows.

So when I made my last post I had saved at the start of the inverted castle and never played much further, feeling satisfied with what I'd seen. I never really liked the inverted castle, and I found it quite challenging to begin with, even in the vanilla game.

I'm about level 40 with 480 HP,  except now bosses deal 250+ damage per hit, and regular enemies in excess of 150. Suddenly I die in two or three hits every time. This basically makes bosses liek Death and that Egyptian god Galamoth, with the lightning, impossible. The patch author also decided to remove elemental damage from his lightning attack, meaning he hits for 300+ damage each time. Instant death basically. Oh, and he massively upped its HP, and defence, so now you're doing about 7 damage each time, with a total HP of around 10'000. Utterly fucking ludicrous. The entirety of the inverted castle became a constant procession of game over, with zero chance to progress. So I swapped backed to the vanilla game, which was actually quite challenging to begin with.

Also I don't like how the patch author cut a lot of weapons he thought were overpowered.

Oh, and he totally missed an opportunity to correct things like the fact the Cat-Eye Circlet does not heal you when fighting the Lions in the library, or the Dark Panthers in the chappel tunnels. It's supposed to turn "cat damage" into healing, but it literally only works on the cats released by the witches. I'd have adjusted it so ALL cats heal you.

Also, he really should have added more items to the Librarian store. There's so much stuff in the game which is only available via rare drops - including low level and mostly useless items. I never once got a Medusa statue on this run. Unless that was also cut by the author.

I dunno. The Hard Patch is a bag of turds. I had hoped it would rebalance the entire game in a gentle and logical way to make it challenging but fun, but it just goes mad once you reach the inverted castle.

The inverted castle is pretty hard in any case. The enemies hit like a truck. Guess the patch just scales everything up in accordance with how it toughened up the regular castle? If the easy regular castle becomes hard, then it maybe makes sense that the difficult inverted castle goes balls hard.