Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

4 hours ago, Nick R said:

Mark Brown's Boss Keys series reaches SOTN:

The uneveness is what I love about SotN. It's like it doesn't give a shit - just wander about and find stuff, or don't find stuff, whatever. Sometimes an apparently major path comes to a dead end with a crappy item, sometimes a fairly obscure hidden route leads to a major part of the game. Most games wouldn't get away with throwing out the rulebook, but somehow it does and is better for it. I think it will always fall down in an analysis like this, but it's what gives it that unique personality.

• Upvote 1

As the game mentions: the castle itself is a creature of chaos. That's the Castlevania vibe that it still contains within. If it were to become more Metroid/Zelda, it would've never worked because there aren't any mechanics to uphold such a density. This is way more RPG-influenced and thus fits the laid back design far better. The challenge comes from the enemies themselves not necessarily the game's world: that just serves as the glue.

This is overanalysing it for analysis' sake.

(Also, when you first meet Maria at the clock, the left statue will slot into place, giving you a hint that it can be moved.)

20 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

As the game mentions: the castle itself is a creature of chaos. That's the Castlevania vibe that it still contains within. If it were to become more Metroid/Zelda, it would've never worked because there aren't any mechanics to uphold such a density. This is way more RPG-influenced and thus fits the laid back design far better. The challenge comes from the enemies themselves not necessarily the game's world: that just serves as the glue.

This is overanalysing it for analysis' sake.

You're right that puzzle/world structure isn't everything, and that combat, inventory, and other mechanics play a massive role in a game's appeal and can make up for any number of shortcomings elsewhere.

But the Boss Keys video series isn't about those other elements: the whole point of the videos is to talk about the structure of Zelda dungeons and Metroidvanias. Fans often compare these games in terms of how linear or non-linear they are, but it's not often that someone brings them all together like this to do direct comparisons between them all.

I don't think it's overanalysis to investigate whether these games really live up to what fans praise about them.

I find his videos are a good blend of the objective (his dependency graphs!) and the subjective (in this case, his comments on why he thinks SOTN's structure and pacing isn't as well-balanced as the game's reputation suggests).

• Upvote 3
  • 1 year later...
On 22/03/2020 at 12:54, Paulando said:

This has been released on iOS, with an iPad version and full controller support (Xbox/PS4 etc). It’s £2.99 and seems to play really well so far!

F10D05E5-DE71-4CCE-942B-B170A86517EF.thumb.jpeg.6144e254f37df1de2630a8319ac88613.jpeg

£2.99 is a steal for this classic! 

22 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

What’s the text look like tho

It’s weird and hi-res and they’ve re-written and re-recorded the intro dialogue, but it’s fine.

On 22/03/2020 at 13:54, Paulando said:

This has been released on iOS, with an iPad version and full controller support (Xbox/PS4 etc). It’s £2.99 and seems to play really well so far!

F10D05E5-DE71-4CCE-942B-B170A86517EF.thumb.jpeg.6144e254f37df1de2630a8319ac88613.jpeg

Fwiw, it's also available on Android. Haven't played it myself but it's more or less the same price so I assume it's the same version. 

• 4 months later...

Slightly late to the party but having never clicked with a Castlevania before, but having my interest piqued by Mark Brown’s great video, I picked this up on PS4 and I’ve got to say - so far - it’s clicking all over the place, I’m really enjoying it. Just beat the first boss (barely) and I’m forging onward. 

I think, having played Hollow Knight, I’ve only recently learned that sometimes games want you to learn enemy patters and respond rather than just mashing buttons and hoping for the best. That approach is definitely helping here. I really love the chunky sprites and overly dramatic death-splotions too. 

23 years later and now I’m wondering what other nuggets of gold I missed from the PS1 era. 

• Upvote 7
4 hours ago, Popo said:

Slightly late to the party but having never clicked with a Castlevania before, but having my interest piqued by Mark Brown’s great video, I picked this up on PS4 and I’ve got to say - so far - it’s clicking all over the place, I’m really enjoying it. 

Get Bloodstained (PS4) as well, it's great.

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, dumpster said:

Get Bloodstained (PS4) as well, it's great.

That’s definitely on the radar now, thanks. As well as all those old Castlevanias I thought I hated. Maybe it’s the whip I don’t like? Alucard mainly uses swords and that’s fun. 

On 24/03/2020 at 18:35, Profgoten said:

£2.99 is a steal for this classic! 

Not as much as the steal of £1 for a PS1 version at a car boot sale, snatched from a pile someone I know was looking through ( yeah, I know, not bootsale etiquette, but he left the whole pile in the end anyway, including RE 1 !! ).

I've ripped this so many times and tried to play on various devices via emulation, it's just never clicked, same as Super Metroid, yet I loved Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission, completed Dawn of Souls on the Original chunky DS ( with shit back light ), REALLY must try and give this another go, set aside some proper time for it, as everytone says it is amazing.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Popo said:

I think, having played Hollow Knight, I’ve only recently learned that sometimes games want you to learn enemy patters and respond rather than just mashing buttons and hoping for the best.

I don't know how anyone can enjoy anything where just 'mashing buttons and hoping for the best' is the viable tactic. I was trying to complete Street Fighter 1 last night and that's exactly what that is. Total garbage.

If you like being forced into working out enemy routines maybe look into Platinum Games' entire catalogue. Viewtiful Joe, too.

For anyone thinking it's too easy, the Hard Mode patch is surprisingly very well done. I patched the PS1 game and run it on PSIO on original hardware. They've rebalanced absolutely everything, and it now gives you a reason to make use of all the tat and junk items you find.

Sadly it nixxed the Shield Sword magic combo (which was totally broken from the start), but the rest is pretty decent. Which surprises me, because rebalance patches by fans are almost always universally crap.

• Upvote 1

I was convinced at one point we’d surely be getting a second Castlevania collection with it and the GBA games at a minimum but that’s never happening, is it? That would be absolute gold. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

I was convinced at one point we’d surely be getting a second Castlevania collection with it and the GBA games at a minimum but that’s never happening, is it? That would be absolute gold. 

Circle of the Moon on a big lit screen. My god, that would be the day.

1 minute ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I was astonished to see just how many graphics and colours were visible in Circle of the Moon first time I fired it up in an emulator on a big telly! 

It's a different vibe than the SotN-bunch, but it's still its own kind of beautiful. That and the card system is hideously broken both for and against the player. :) Really have a soft spot for the game.

8 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

All 3 were on the Wii U and I never bought them, I'm part of the problem.