Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Roboplegic Wrongcock

US, April 25, 2007 - Just when you were about ready to run up to the window and yell, "I'm mad as hell at World War II shooters, and I'm not gonna take it anymore!", Activision and developer Infinity Ward are announcing today that the fourth entry in the Call of Duty franchise is moving on from World War II.

The game is not quite ready to be unveiled (the game's debut trailer is being debuted on ESPN during the NFL Draft on Saturday), but the subtitle of the game gives away the new direction: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is Call of Duty like we've never seen it before. The game looks set to transfer combat operations from WWII to the modern battlefields our soldiers face today.

Little is known about Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare at the moment, but we're hopeful that the move to recent times also ushers in other big changes for the acclaimed franchise. Although some gamers are bound to feel that this sequel is coming uncomfortably quick on the heels of Call of Duty 3, franchise creator Infinity Ward has actually had a good deal of time to work on part 4 -- developer Treyarch handled COD3 while COD4 was deep in development. Activision has not yet announced which platforms the game will be released on, but IGN confirmed in February of 2006 that the development team had been scoping this game out primarily for Xbox 360 and PS3.

Is modern warfare the new WW2? looking forward to seeing what IW will do with this

.::: Did I miss something or are we in 'special' week with so many press-releases?

(Oh wait, it's E3 time without E3 of course, case of habit I suppose.)

you're off by about a month's time, mate. E3 was a mid-may thing (which is now a july thing [on a limited scale, mind you).

Dissapointing, there's loads of 'great war' arenas and battles on which they haven't yet touched.

Vietnam would have been cool even the Korean war. I can't wait to see how IW will get around capturing that COD 'feeling' i.e loads of stuff going on explosions, general chaos etc that work in a WW2 type game, but would seem a little OTT in a modern setting...

Dissapointing, there's loads of 'great war' arenas and battles on which they haven't yet touched.

but not many with ballistic/kinetic weaponry. Swords and shit are best handled like they currently are, RTSs and the biznizz, you know, total war series and 'ting.

Guns in FPSes, sure.

Vietnam would have been cool even the Korean war. I can't wait to see how IW will get around capturing that COD 'feeling' i.e loads of stuff going on explosions, general chaos etc that work in a WW2 type game, but would seem a little OTT in a modern setting...

Battlefield Vietnam, Nam '76, Vietcong:Purple thingie...

.::: Do we really need romanticised war?

That's not what I mean. The Call of Duty games always made me think 'Christ, glad I wasn't alive during this' when playing them, I got involved, whereas games crammed full of modern weapons technology like GRAW are a distinctly detached experience, for me anyway.

All these games fetishize it, so why not romanticise it a bit? The war might enjoy it.

.::: I'm slightly irked by the fact that some of these war-games are based on real events. I wonder if it's OK to dilute what we know about them like this. That's all. Nothing serious. Play along.

.::: I'm slightly irked by the fact that some of these war-games are based on real events. I wonder if it's OK to dilute what we know about them like this. That's all. Nothing serious. Play along.

I was only joking, really. And I pretty much agree with you, but I'm not sure that any game based on a real war is much better than a game based on a thinly-veiled real war either...

That's not what I mean. The Call of Duty games always made me think 'Christ, glad I wasn't alive during this' when playing them, I got involved, whereas games crammed full of modern weapons technology like GRAW are a distinctly detached experience, for me anyway.

Much like the reality of war then.

Much like the reality of war then.

Mmm, it's true that warfare could be considered far more detached now, but the foot-soldier who's in the middle of it still feels choked by adrenaline, surely?

Anyway, that's my last post on the subject, I feel like I'm starting to debate semantics now and that never ends well.

Aw, balls to that. Modern day combat is terrible.

I can see it now - instead of the Normandy beach landing where you might just get killed immediately, you'll be flying over Iraq in a helicopter...

Either you'll get to the destination fine, or you'll get hit by the enemy.

Or hit by friendly fire.

Or (most likely at the moment) the 'copter will develop a fault and crash.

Is modern warfare the new WW2? looking forward to seeing what IW will do with this

Nah. Future warfare is the new WW2. Cross-coms, those camp-looking guns from GRAW, hemets with cameras in, all that jazz.

No, modern warfare games with not an ounce of personality are boring, I'm looking at you GRAW.

GRAW isn't SUPPOSED to be about personality. It's suposed to be about amazing toys and awesome death-dealing machines and wars that are fought in secret by half a dozen people.

WW2 games have to be about personality because war was shit back then. War in the future is awesome.

COD3 for me was a total let down. I never liked the LIVE side of it and the SP i hardly touched, it just pissed me off too much (COD2 was near perfect imo*).

*after the patch to sort the lag out natch.