The Tenchu Series Thread - it's totally Tenchu! Latest: nothing, absolutely nothing

Mr. Gerbik

Fun/sad fact: the one and only From Software are the current owners of the Tenchu ip. Yes, *that* From Software. They were also responsible for Tenchu 3 on PS2 and Xbox. And before it became a more Souls-like hardcore action game because of a direction change during development, Sekiro was initially conceived as a Tenchu reboot. In fact, some of the sneaking and stealth kill animations in Sekiro look suspiciously similar to those in Tenchu 3. We* were so close.

*All 3 of us

10 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

This happen with Metal Gear Solid 1 for me. I was really looking forward to it, mad hype, but I played Tenchu a month or so before the PAL release of MGS. It completely ruined the game for me, compared to Tenchu the stealth in MGS was dead simple and basic. It was like giving Playmobil to a kid who's used to Lego Technic.

The first Tenchu was a constant for me throughout uni. Either playing a kill each, handing the pad round in a circle, or playing by myself, or watching other people play themselves.

I can't remember if between us we got Grandmaster for all levels and all guard layouts, but we came close.

I don't remember the dates of anything or whether we got MGS around release or much later, but we'd been playing Tenchu for about a year and a half by that point and MGS just didn't hold up, at least mechanically.

We had Tenchu, some version of ISS (98?), Tiger Woods (also 98?), NHL (probably 98...!) Tekken 3, Gran Tourismo 2, Marvel Vs. Capcom and I would play FF Tactics obsessively whenever the TV was free.

PS1 era gaming was incredible.

Looking at Google, it seems like Tenchu was released in summer of '98 in PAL regions, while MGS followed in February '99. Plenty of time to get used to the stealth gameplay of Tenchu, making MGS1 feel like going from Street Fighter 2 to Rise of the Robots in terms of gameplay.

I can't remember either whether I got Grandmaster in every layout, but same as you I got either damn close or did indeed get them all. I can draw a map of the first level right now from memory, probably including most if not all possible NPC placements.

If they ever decided to do a reboot, they would probably be best served ny using the first game as the blueprint.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

If they ever decided to do a reboot, they would probably be best served ny using the first game as the blueprint.

My favourite levels were always the sandboxy towns, castles or temples which the first game leaned in to - I think the second or third level was just you crossing from one side of a village to another at night time?. Open plan areas with guards patrolling. They had a real immersive sim feel to them, especially after you've unlocked a lot of the gear. I remember a night time mission in Wrath of Heaven, crouching on a roof top after I'd alerted the guards, and seeing them climb up on to other roofs in the distance searching for me... very glitchy PS2 era AI, but more complex than a lot of modern games ever attempt.

• 9 months later...

I'd say Shinobido 1 is a very good Tenchu (it's basically the continuation of the series after they lost/sold the ip).

The OG Xbox version of Tenchu 3, Return from Darkness, is really good. (Avoid the PS2 version)

I have a soft spot for Tenchu Z on the 360, but it's different - it's ridiculous 100mph turbo stealth. 

The original Tenchu Stealth Assassins is really good but the graphics and controls have undeniably aged.

• Mr. Gerbik changed the title to The Tenchu Series Thread - it's totally Tenchu! Latest: nothing, absolutely nothing
4 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The OG Xbox version of Tenchu 3, Return from Darkness, is really good. (Avoid the PS2 version)

I'm sure I've asked this before, but I've completely forgotten the answer: having not played the PS2 version, what makes it so much worse than the Xbox version?

(I'd ask about whether the PSP version is worth a go too, except the obvious answer will be 'no, thanks to the single analogue control')

12 minutes ago, Wiper said:

I'm sure I've asked this before, but I've completely forgotten the answer: having not played the PS2 version, what makes it so much worse than the Xbox version?

(I'd ask about whether the PSP version is worth a go too, except the obvious answer will be 'no, thanks to the single analogue control')

The Xbox version came later and it was practically a director's cut edition. From memory they drastically improved the ai and pathing of the enemies, they added tons of new moves - not in the least being able to pick up and move bodies which you kinda want in a decent stealth game, the option to retry a level instead of having to quit back out to the main menu and having to sit through about 5 loading screens before being allowed another go, two brand new levels which are coincidentally some of the best levels in the game and have NO bosses, and lots more -  but these were the standouts that I remember. It also runs far, far better. 

PSP LOL

5 minutes ago, shynra said:

Theres a shinobido on PSP now that you mention it... worth a go???

Played it back then and concluded it was shite after the first area. 

Shinobido 2 on Vita is fun however, but 1 on PS2 is the best imho.