rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Paradigm

Norman Foster

I don't see what right people have to make such massive changes to the skyline, there all too futuristic imo.

yeah, it's progress. because i'd rather live in a city that has delapidated Industrial Revolution-era buildings, antiquated road layouts that were built for horse and carts, depressing public spaces designed when the cities' population was 25% of what it is now and boring square office buildings who's only purpose is to put people somewhere so they can work.

look at Barcelona, 30 odd years ago the city council decided to re-invent the city and embark on a massive urban design program with new buildings, open spaces and transport integration. within a generation they have almost completed it and it has now become one of the finest examples of a cohesive urban design strategy. people are too precious about their environment in this country, just because it's old doesn't mean it's worth keeping. the more councils realise this the better.

They aren't even futuristic they are just contemporary. The sooner we see more buildings that reflect modern life the better. I can't stand bland mock Tudor/Georgian etc building.

How much input does Foster have into many of his practices projects recently? I vaguely recall reading that he has more of a consultancy role now, and his name is used more of a 'brand', when his input is minimal in some projects. Of course I'm sure he actively takes the lead in others. Anyone know how much input he has had on his practices recent big projects? This isn't a knock at him, I'm just intrigued as to what input other architects working for him have had.

How much input does Foster have into many of his practices projects recently? I vaguely recall reading that he has more of a consultancy role now, and his name is used more of a 'brand', when his input is minimal in some projects. Of course I'm sure he actively takes the lead in others. Anyone know how much input he has had on his practices recent big projects? This isn't a knock at him, I'm just intrigued as to what input other architects working for him have had.

Well certainly there are projects on which he has minimal input. The Swiss Re building was reputedly more Ken Shuttleworth's work and it was the lack of credit given to him on that project that caused him to quit Foster and partners and set up on his own

it's like most large practices that have someone as the figurehead.

they scribble down something that looks like a plate of noodles, then a team of minions flesh out the design and make it happen. 18 months later said figurehead picks up the awards and gets all the plaudits. same with Zaha Hadid - her original work is almost unintelligible, but it's her troop of CAD monkeys that make it into proper drawings while she stands and beats them with a big stick.