IGNORED

Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Jack

I find using fog and whirlwinds to artificially block access to a new bit of sea (of which I got a chart) a very cheap trick. That wouldn't have been necessary I think.

They need someway to limit you to certain areas though. The fog does the trick for the most part.

Well, first I find a seachart. Then I can't get in because I need a canon. I get a canon. Then I can't get in because of the fog on one side and whirlwinds on the other. I'm sure there's a reason to limit my access, but this feels illogical and fabricated for no other purpose then not letting me in there. I'm sure they could have made something more clever, like not giving me the map or cannon until all other conditions were met for entry.

Well, first I find a seachart. Then I can't get in because I need a canon. I get a canon. Then I can't get in because of the fog on one side and whirlwinds on the other. I'm sure there's a reason to limit my access, but this feels illogical and fabricated for no other purpose then not letting me in there. I'm sure they could have made something more clever, like not giving me the map or cannon until all other conditions were met for entry.

"It's genius!" they say.

It's bollocks, I say.

It's the same with enemies at sea. First you don't get any. Then, when you get a cannon, suddenly they pop up all over the place. Why not restrict the areas with enemies to those you're only supposed to travel when you got a cannon? That way you effectively block access for those without a canon without breaking the logic of the gameworld.

It's the same with enemies at sea. First you don't get any. Then, when you get a cannon, suddenly they pop up all over the place. Why not restrict the areas with enemies to those you're only supposed to travel when you got a cannon? That way you effectively block access for those without a canon without breaking the logic of the gameworld.

But that would mean there's a portion of the map with no enemies. If it helps you can pretend that when you blow up the blocks, the enemies from the other side were able to reach the other parts of the sea.

I've done the second dungeon and I'm not exactly blown away by it, I think I definitely enjoyed Twilight Princess more so far. Although I do think two Zeldas in a year is too much anyway. The controls work well most of the time because most of the enemies put up no resistance but when you need to, say, dodge quickly then throw a weapon it all gets a bit fiddly. The controls do keep it fresh on the surface but underneath it seems quite by-numbers. As always it's well designed and everything but I don't really feel surprised by any of it, the puzzles are all exactly how I expected they would be. The only time I was genuinely surprised was one bit where you find someones diary and I found it quite touching.

I'm disappointed at the towns and stuff, there's really nothing to do in them like side quests or games or characters to interact with. I bemoaned TP for this but this seems way worse, it's almost impossible to leave the beaten track of the story even if you wanted to. And this really isn't a fault of the game but I do find it hard to go back to the top-down Zeldas now the series has gone to 3D. While some series, such as Mario, remain great in both 2d and 3d because they offer something different, I just think 3d suits what Zelda is all about more. The scale, the locations, the cavernous and eerie dungeons, the potential for puzzles all just fit better into 3D for me. I just find it a little hard to get excited about running round a short boxy little dungeon, however well designed it is, when a year ago I was swinging through the Sky temple.

Anyway yeah its good and all but they need to shake up more than just the controls.

Nothing is more bollocks than the

timed dungeons of Ocean King

. This is such a stupid choice that I am surprised it passed Nintendo's quality check. :)

In general, Phantom Hourglass is a good and sweet game but it also shows that the Zelda design is growing quite old imo.

The timed sections get progressively less painful as you learn them and acquire equipment. I agree it's not great but it honestly doesn't become a problem as you go deeper and deeper into it.

But that would mean there's a portion of the map with no enemies. If it helps you can pretend that when you blow up the blocks, the enemies from the other side were able to reach the other parts of the sea.

But they were there once I got the cannon, even before blowing up the blocks :)

Still, little details like these won't spoil the enjoyment of the game (although I insist the fog/whirlwind thing is just bad design) but it seems like an oversight and you'd expect Nintendo to do better after all these years of Zelda/Metroid games.

The timed sections get progressively less painful as you learn them and acquire equipment. I agree it's not great but it honestly doesn't become a problem as you go deeper and deeper into it.

But why put it there in the first place? Its not only the timed sessions, its about repeating the same things over and over again. This is way out of place for a Zelda game. In one so easy/short as this, it strikes me like a completely bad choice design wise.

Im just about to hit what I assume to be the last boss, but has anyone else felt that here has been no real threat during the game? I like games where there is one big bad guy, and he constantly pops up to taunt you, knock you off course etc, but this one doesnt. You know nothing really of the last boss really, I dont really see him as a threat to me, yes his big ghosty ship turned my mate to stone, but thats it.

Loved every minute of the game though, some of the temple bosses are excellent, I just wanted a more 'epic' bad guy!

My favourite puzzle so far has been

the part where it asks you to press a map onto your sea chart. I spent a good while opening various maps, trying to draw etc. and then realised it was upside-down, and I had to actually close the DS in order to continue.

I was annoyed at myself for not getting it straight away, but it's a nice implementation, reminding me of MGS having a radio frequency on the back of the game case.

Im just about to hit what I assume to be the last boss, but has anyone else felt that here has been no real threat during the game? I like games where there is one big bad guy, and he constantly pops up to taunt you, knock you off course etc, but this one doesnt. You know nothing really of the last boss really, I dont really see him as a threat to me, yes his big ghosty ship turned my mate to stone, but thats it.

Loved every minute of the game though, some of the temple bosses are excellent, I just wanted a more 'epic' bad guy!

Definitely. I really enjoyed the game, Sea King temple dungeon and all, but was quite disappointed with the final boss, partly due to the reasons you stated (we don't really see much of him at all during the game) but also because I found it far too simple in my opinion. I was hoping for more of a challenge I guess. In fact, I think I enjoyed fighting against most of the other bosses more.

I actually felt the same. It's like a totally different experience to that of TP. Zant felt over powering and ominous and constantly thwarted Link's progression whilst in this its very much a casual affair. There could have been so much more.

I've done the first three temples and am still loving it. Playing it in bed with the lights off is wonderful. I even quite enjoy the Ocean King temple bits, because it's an actual challenge and forces you to streamline your route each time. I remember in the old days playing bits of games over and over tens of times, so this is hardly soul-destroying. Plus I think the game has more to it than TTP. Each island has something to do and notes I've made about stuff to go back for later, and I've only unlocked half the world.

You could try one of these if you want a longer stylus. i have one and it works a treat

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-ic-49-en-70-1bxx.html

PA.62133.001.jpg

Looks groovy, but I doubt it will get here in time for me to play it on the train home tonight!

I reckon I could prise the metal tip and inner tube out of a biro, and insert the stylus. It looks about the right size.

There was a guy on here who used to do lovely hand made styluses/styli(?). I have one and it's very nice indeed, although I did break the tip off using it to scratch my foot. :angry:

That was Blue and it was indispensible for Ouendan. Sadly mine went missing :)

Finished the game last night. Beautifull game with great dialoge and brilliant use of items. Though it might not be a huge game, the many Islands offer loads of extra gameplay which keeps ya' on playing. My personal biggest dissapointment is the way you get rewarded for searching for treasure. I spent entire evenings searching for pieces of my ship and eventually all I got was an extra life-extension for my ship,. For fuck sakes.

In my oppinion this Zelda isn't the best of all, it doesn't compare with OoT nor TP, but still, Phantom Hourglass is a very, very rare kind of quality- game that you will remember as DS's finest.