Virtua Racing - Mame 0.114

mash

;) Yes! at long last they've gone and got Virtua Racing working in emulation. Can't help feeling one of the Holy grails of video game emulation has been completed.

And fucking ace is it is too.

Apologies if this isn't in the MAME list thingy, it's Virtua Racing though and as such I felt it deserved it's own thread.

I noticed that it had been taken off the "games labelled as Not Working" list, but after spending forever searching for the damned TGP driver/bios/whatever (vr-tgp.bin, apparently) I gave up. Is it even "out there" or have I misinterpreted something?

Have they improved the other Saturn based arcade games like Rad. Silvergun and Cotton?

Tried Die Hard Arcade, couldn't get it to work. In fact the only sodding rom I could get to work was VR. I'll give Radiant a go later.

Gazimod, check your PM's.

I noticed that it had been taken off the "games labelled as Not Working" list, but after spending forever searching for the damned TGP driver/bios/whatever (vr-tgp.bin, apparently) I gave up. Is it even "out there" or have I misinterpreted something?

newsgroups are your friend :)

Tried Die Hard Arcade, couldn't get it to work. In fact the only sodding rom I could get to work was VR. I'll give Radiant a go later.

Gazimod, check your PM's.

Cheers. ;)

It's actually a hell of a lot better than I thought it might be; most 3D games are jerky as hell in MAME, but this thing runs at a fair old clip. ;)

Cheers. ;)

It's actually a hell of a lot better than I thought it might be; most 3D games are jerky as hell in MAME, but this thing runs at a fair old clip. ;)

It's good isn't it? I'm playing it on a dual shock PS2 with the left stick used for steering and the right stick used for accel/brake.

Just tried Radiant on it too, the sound is still screwed I'm afraid.

Have they improved the other Saturn based arcade games like Rad. Silvergun and Cotton?

You noobs... everyone knows VR was Model 1!

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=712&page=1#2026

Now, has anyone mentioned the update to Nebula, the Model 2 emu? Playable Daytona and Sega Rally!

http://nebula.emulatronia.com

http://haze.mameworld.info/2007/03/12/when...-minds-combine/

You noobs... everyone knows VR was Model 1!

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=712&page=1#2026

Now, has anyone mentioned the update to Nebula, the Model 2 emu? Playable Daytona and Sega Rally!

http://nebula.emulatronia.com

http://haze.mameworld.info/2007/03/12/when...-minds-combine/

And you didn't make a topic about this in ALL caps informing everyone about this WHY? :)

Great news! Dododododod daaaayyyttttooonnnnaaaa!

Daytona is still pretty buggy: lots of clipping and strange things happening when starting a standing start race (turn around!). Dead or Alive is very very good, Sega Touring Car works a lot better than with the last release (but I don't like the game so much), Fighting Vipers I only tried for a short time but seemed to be running ok, Super Gt looks fairly ok but seems a very average game. I read some workarounds to make Sega Rally Playable btw, I think when using the cheat to get the supercars they _do_ run ok.

There are screenshots from Daytona running on the wip 0.5 emulator that look great: greatly improved draw-distance and correct lighting on the cars. I'm hoping they release it soon as the last few dot updates seem to have been released shortly after one another too!

The thing that has me going crazy with joy now is Indianapolis 500 though. It is very playable (ok, I clocked 200+ hours on Saturn Daytona so I can enjoy a game with clipping if the gameplay is solid) and to me a fantastic racer. I don't like the oval. Don't get it at all as there is no turn like Daytona's oval that tests you, it's just about keeping the gas pedal down and slipstreaming/ avoiding opponents. But the other two tracks are pure gold. The nature track has a Laguna Seca-like section that I haven't managed to get right yet and the city track is very narrow giving a great sense of speed (skyscrapers wizzing by too of course). I love how the nature track is looking as realistic as possible on the hardware at that time except for the dragon flying by every time you enter the tunnel. So Sega.

Dreamcast-less Daytona lovers should also check out the new nullDC beta btw.

There are other emulators that use 3D graphics cards though, I think anyway. Some issues with ATI cards I think although I don't know for sure as I have nVidia. See here, this runs Daytona and VR very well.

Does VR work with Nebula? I'm pretty sure it doesn't. And the lighting and colours are all wrong with Daytona.

I've run the MAME Virtua Racing on a crappy laptop (1.2ghz centrino), intel based graphics card and it's worked excellently. So no, a fast PC isn't required.

There are other emulators that use 3D graphics cards though, I think anyway. Some issues with ATI cards I think although I don't know for sure as I have nVidia. See here, this runs Daytona and VR very well.

They don't look quite right, though.

• 3 weeks later...