Liverpool Football Club

Whatever anyone says about our squad and last season, that was the bottom team in the league and they had one away point all season. No excuse.

Bang on. Roy cannot claim he's only been there for two minutes, that he's not had enough time to get his poor across. They've not played for 18 days; so thats a disadvantage now?! Surely plenty of time to prepare for a team who were by all extents and purposes worse than West Ham.

If 18 days doesn't work for Roy then the saying A change is as good as a rest should come to mind.

He would have loved it I'd we'd beaten lowly, terrible Wolves. Yet at the end of the day this job is too big for Roy Hoggle.

Those quotes are brilliant...thanks for making me hate him even more. I liked him before he came to Liverpool, thought he used to handle himself well and seemed like a nice guy...now it's like someone's removed the mask and I see this old, insecure, ranting, senile old man underneath.

The Kop has mutinied already and the sooner we turn on NESV the better, if we really need to force the issue. I thought we might just be able to muddle on until next summer with Captain Roy at the helm but that is not going to work. As rubbish as Hodgson has been some of these players clearly need to look at themselves. Torres performance last night was a disgrace.

Not a great way to get the fans onside:

That stuff is all true though. The fans have been against Hodgson since the beginning and havent given him or the team the support we are supposed to be famous for.

What fan seriously thinks it is in the best interests of the club to be chanting for Daglish or Rafa? It is absurd.

• Upvote 1

That stuff is all true though. The fans have been against Hodgson since the beginning and havent given him or the team the support we are supposed to be famous for.

What fan seriously thinks it is in the best interests of the club to be chanting for Daglish or Rafa? It is absurd.

Of course what Roy said is true, but it's something you can't battle against. If the fans don't like you you're not going to be given time.

The crowd only perked up after we went behind, clearly a lot of fans have been wanting Roy to fail. Unfortunately for Roy he has though. I mean as poor as our fans are it doesn't really excuse last night's performance.

I still don't like the making fun of our own manager or players though, for the last couple of years when I didn't like Rafa I never made fun of him personally it it saddens me to hear our fans do it now.

The treatment of Konchesky turns my stomach.

At least we now know for sure that our fans aren't actually any better than any other team's so we can put that bollocks to bed.

Who to replace Roy with though? Who would be a near universally popular choice?

• Upvote 2

The fans haven't give the team support? Really? Fair enough Hodgson has been under severe scrutiny since day one but the team have had plenty of vocal backing.

They deserve fuck all support now after last nights rubbish.

A few obviously would like either of them to be the next manager, but I'm guessing many are chanting their names as a call to sack Roy more than anything else.

Rubbish. Have you been to the ground? Against Northampton no one said a word against Hodgson and despite all the kids there was a decent amount of support despite the small turnout.

Against Napoli we were 1-0 down against a truly shite team and roared the team on as soon as we conceded.

When Chelsea came the whole ground was rocking, in spite of our form.

Have a word with yourself.

This is terrible, Roy is a good manager, but he has inherited a POS from Rafa. The team are absolutely awful as players with the exception of just 3. Not only are they bad, they don't want to put any effort into getting better. And Roy can't get rid of them, nobody will buy them because of the ludicrous high salaries that Rafa put them all on. Roy is caught in a trap.

The owners of LFC are going to take a massive hit because they will never get back what the club paid for these players. Many will just be allowed to go when their contracts run out. In the meantime they are bleeding the club dry and not doing a fraction of the work that their immense salaries demands.

What is needed now is very patient rebuilding over several years. Replacing Roy with Jose Mourinho or even God will not make much difference.

Owen Coyle to take over?

From the EPL I'd take either him or Roberto di Matteo. Both, however, would need to be given time to develop the team... and by time, I mean years.

What you should be looking at is changing the structure. Put someone in charge of strategically developing the footballing side from youth to first team (ala Barça), then have people responsible for player purchase and coaching the first team. Hodgeson could be one of those.

The idea that one guy can run everything isn't realistic in this day and age.

Downside is that would take a decade before you started to see any realistic results.. and then the results might be more comparible to Arsenal than Barça..

This is terrible, Roy is a good manager, but he has inherited a POS from Rafa...

Rory, is Roy's immediate departure with Dalglish taking over short term and a long-term appointment made in the summer the most viable option at this stage? What are the dangers and pitfalls of such a move, and what alternatives are there?

That's a bit like an essay question, that. Back when FSG were NESV, the information I had was that the next appointment would be long-term, not interim, and that was part of the reason that Hodgson would be allowed to continue. Assuming that hasn't changed, that rules out Kenny. If he returned, at this stage, he's kind of in a win-win. If it works, he's a hero, and if he fails, it's Roy's fault. Or Rafa's. Someone would blame Rafa. Someone on Sky.

Hodgson's playing a system that doesn't suit a lot of his players, he bought poorly in the summer (the impressive Meireles apart), he defends too deep, the back line has no pace, and he encourages too much long ball football, which doesn't suit Torres's strengths, in particular.
The Konchesky deal baffles me. He is no better or worse than Insua, a player who was already at the club, was 10 years younger and wouldn't have cost £4m. Konchesky's OK. Liverpool fans tend not to like OK.
That said, it's all very well criticising Torres, but the way Liverpool play is so unsuited to his abilities that it is hard to see how he is supposed to thrive. You can't write if someone won't give you a pen.
Roy's failings have been pointed out by plenty of observers, and to me the coverage of his tenure so far has been, for the most part, quite well balanced. The problem is that the end of Rafa's reign saw such blinkered coverage that it suffers in juxtaposition. As for why Rafa is still getting blamed, I have no idea. He left a squad that wasn't good enough to get in to the top four. He did not leave a squad that should be three points off relegation.

Good webchat going on just gone on here.

I don't know what to think any more. It's all just such a mess. The tactics seem rubbish, the players don't seem bothered... It's almost like watching Leeds when they imploded a few seasons back. If last night was a one off you could accept it a little easier, but after the Newcastle game, the Blackpool game, the Stoke game... It's just getting to hard to accept.

I have no idea what the club should do now. I really don't think appointing Dalglish is the answer. I just don't. I think that would be the ultimate knee jerk to end all knee jerks and wouldn't solve anything. It'd be like Shearer's appointment at Newcastle, ill advised and pointless. I do think it's clear that Hodgson has simply lost everything he may have once have had at the club, though, so I can't help but feel he has to go. But as to who should replace him... What about Chris Hughton?

A Dalglish/Carra partnership until the summer. I don't think they could do much worse.

I was very much against appointing Dalglish in the summer, as I didn't think it was a long-term solution. But as a stop-gap until we can bring in a young, upcoming manager, I think it might work. The difference between him and Shearer is that Dalglish has been part of the club set-up for a while now, so will know the players (especially the younger ones). And will probably be playing a part in bringing in players in January anyway.

There is no point in sacking Hodgson until there is a credible replacement in place. Some of the name being mentioned here are pretty crazy, You want a manager with some experience at the top level and ideally about 50 so we can give him backing for a substantial time. Hodgson was always a stop gap with the contract he got so we'd be better off making sure we have a solid plan to implement before we bin him.

This is terrible, Roy is a good manager, but he has inherited a POS from Rafa. The team are absolutely awful as players with the exception of just 3. Not only are they bad, they don't want to put any effort into getting better. And Roy can't get rid of them, nobody will buy them because of the ludicrous high salaries that Rafa put them all on. Roy is caught in a trap.

The owners of LFC are going to take a massive hit because they will never get back what the club paid for these players. Many will just be allowed to go when their contracts run out. In the meantime they are bleeding the club dry and not doing a fraction of the work that their immense salaries demands.

What is needed now is very patient rebuilding over several years. Replacing Roy with Jose Mourinho or even God will not make much difference.

Is this squad better or worse than the bottom club of the Premiership?: YES/NO

Is this squad better or worse than the bottom club of the Premiership?: YES/NO

Just across the park is a manager who has been in several relegation battles and has had several rubbish season starts. Just now he is on about the same points as Liverpool with what may well be a better squad yet nobody is shouting for Moyes's head.

As for the current Liverpool squad. It is where it deserves to be in the table, the players are obviously not doing what Roy wants them to do.

If you went to SAF and told him he could have any Liverpool players he wanted, for free, how many would he take?

tenrou, can't disagree with that sentiment but we have a far better caretaker than Roy already employed at the club in the form of Kenny. He'd comfortably be given until summer by fans just because of who he is, has the experience and would probably kick a few arses into gear along the way.

In all likelihood we still wouldn't finish much higher than last season such is the mire we're in, but Dalglish's presence would dilute a lot of the current vitriol and stir a bit more support.

In the meantime NESV can get on with finding their long-term man in peace. And maybe we can all go back to enjoying our games again.

Just across the park is a manager who has been in several relegation battles and has had several rubbish season starts. Just now he is on about the same points as Liverpool with what may well be a better squad yet nobody is shouting for Moyes's head.

Because Moyes had been doing a great job with the resources he has available (although they should be higher than they are too). Whereas Roy is doing an awful job with the resources he has. No team with Reina, Gerrard, Torres, Lucas (yes, Lucas), and Meireles should be 3 points off relegation.

• Upvote 2