Liverpool Football Club

Stilly

The Guardian minute-by-minute made for amusing reading. Basically every update went like this

- H & G make some stupid last-ditch attempt to stall for time on a technically. The judge tells them to stop being so silly.

Getting nailed for the court fees too. Excellent.

No way is Tottenham's wage bill as big as yours, I mean J Cole only signed for you as we wouldnt offer the money he wanted.

The highest paid player at Spurs is on 80k a week, I bet Torres and Gerrard get double that.

Boring. We have a few high earners (nowhere near as high as you seem to think) but a smaller squad on a lower average wage. You mention Cole but you fail to consider that we had to offload Aquilani and Benayoun's wages in order to make that transfer. Our wage bill has been gradually reduced over the last couple of years.

Boring. We have a few high earners (nowhere near as high as you seem to think) but a smaller squad on a lower average wage. You mention Cole but you fail to consider that we had to offload Aquilani and Benayoun's wages in order to make that transfer. Our wage bill has been gradually reduced over the last couple of years.

Well according to the wage bill table from last year Liverpool are 3rd and Spurs are not even in the top 5.

Hence why Spurs make a comfortable profit year after year and have done for about 5 years now.

Well according to the wage bill table from last year Liverpool are 3rd and Spurs are not even in the top 5.

Hence why Spurs make a comfortable profit year after year and have done for about 5 years now.

I don't know what wage bill table you've been looking at but we have been behind Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal for a long time, and you can add Man City to that list as well. The last figures I saw, had us spending £3m p/a more than you, and this was before our wages were trimmed in the summer. Whatever, anyway. I don't really care about this stuff, I was just trying to address some major falsehoods that were being chucked about in here. I'd much rather be talking about anything that is actually relevant to what is going on with the club at the minute, than comparing bloody finances and shit.

You've got plenty of good players in your squad along with some truly excellent ones, its just a matter of getting them all playing well together. Can/will Hodgson get the best out of it? Personally I think you'd be better off with someone who will set you up to attack as much as possible, but maybe he will now he's had a few games to mull things over.

I don't know what wage bill table you've been looking at but we have been behind Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal for a long time, and you can add Man City to that list as well.

Could have been looking at the wage bill as a percentage of turnover.

Spurs offered Cole a lower wage but a big, big signing-on fee. Liverpool offered no signing-on but crazy wages. Arsenal offered all the Haribo he could eat and a seat next to Cesc on the team bus.

Chewylegs, if you can't work out that Crouch/Johnson fee thing in your head there is no hope for you and I suggest you take yourself outside and have a very strong word with yourself concerning your future conduct.

SMD, dogsout, interesting stuff in the last couple of pages, will reply in the morning. Or later on if I get drunk, in which case apologies in advance.

The two twats won't go quietly:

The Guardian posted:

10pm: Further to this story about a Texas court issuing an injunction on the sale of the club, Owen Gibson writes that Hicks and Gillett are claiming £1bn in damages.

9.58pm: Are Hicks and Gillett making life difficult? Are they ever. News reaches us that a Texas court has issued a restraining order on the sale of the club, calling it an "epic swindle".

9.55pm: "Are Hicks and Gillett making it difficult?" asks Alex McGibbon. "Well duh!" In a way, I kind of admire their sheer gumption. Talk about not taking a hint.

I wish they would just fuck off

They're just not in touch with reality. Where does £1bn come from? That's about $1.6m, about double what the club would be worth sans debt by even the most optimistic estimates. What can a texas court do about the sale of a club in merseyside, anyway? They're just risking plunging the club into administration, devaluing their investment in the process and losing themselves even more money.

The weirdest thing is how they don't seem to have seen this coming. They must have some right yes men as advisors, telling them everything was fine while they dug a deeper hole.

Yeah at least they'll be gone soon enough. They can't do anything to stop it now, the creditors have the power. Then once the club's back on it's feet and United's bonds mature, you can have a hearty lol at the shitstorm that ensues. Well I hope it doesn't go down the same way, but it probably will.

There have been a few interesting comments posted on The Guardian's live blog I thought might be appreciated in here:

llcooljoel

13 October 2010 10:29PM

I've explained this before, and I hope someone from the board is reading so they can pass the information to that stupid flabby Texan and his judge buddies:

Forbes' valuation of $822m, based on speculation and information passed on by the owners themselves over the phone, equates to £517m. What Forbes also state in their accompanying information is that this valuation is not net of debt.

Debt stands at £237m, or $376m.

Math(s):

$822m (£517m) minus $376m (£237m) equals $446m (£280m).

Hence, if NESV are paying $476m (£300m) for the club, they're actually paying over the odds if anything.

I done it in dollars and everything so y'all can understand.

vastariner

13 October 2010 10:34PM

"I can't see how a Texan court can over-ride a court in England."

It can't. For the following reasons.

1. American judgments are not enforceable in England. They would need to persuade an English court to uphold the Texan injunction. Given that the English courts have previously expressed huge dissatisfaction with the "quality" of justice in Texas, there's no chance of this happening.

2. Under international legal practice, you can only bring claims to a court that is first "seised" of an action. Long story short, you can't have two claims in different courts. The first one has to be finished before the second one can be looked at. Another reason why the Texan injunction won't be enforced.

Easy response for the Liverpool et al people: ignore it. Totally. They've got no assets in Texas, so no chance of enforcement. More difficult for RBS as the idiot Texan court might just seize assets. But they can get an injunction in England, declaring H&G in contempt of court if they continue with the Texan action. RBS will be subject to a possible seizure of assets; H&G will be subject to arrest...

bloopie2

13 October 2010 10:28PM

As an American I can tell you that Texas courts are notorious "homers"--they absolutely favor Texas residents in any legal dispute with "outsiders". I certainly hope that NESV et al. will counterclaim for damages lost because of this horrendous delay.

Given that the sale isn't complete could it be that G&H are onto something here?

Following the successful conclusion of High Court proceedings today, the Boards of Directors of Kop Football and Kop Holdings met tonight and resolved to complete the sale of Liverpool FC to New England Sports Ventures.

Regretably, Thomas Hicks and George Gillett have tonight obtained a Temporary Restraining Order from a Texas District Court against the independent directors, Royal Bank of Scotland PLC and NESV to prevent the transaction being completed.

The independent directors consider the restraining order to be unwarranted and damaging and will move as swiftly as possible to seek to have it removed.

A further statement will be made in due course.