IGNORED

Liverpool Football Club

Stilly

Mate, have you ever been to a football match and tried to drive home afterwards? It's absolute carnage...

My parents have Reading season tickets and the 20 minute drive home on match days can take hours because of traffic. if the game is crap (like this one) why stay?

Yeah i have and i take your point but it was 1-0 and Liverpool could easily have scored the amount of chances they had so why not stay? Its just a real pet hate of mine. Or alternatively dont take the car.

Liverpool were poor and Man Utd had to do very little.

Depressing.

This.

Considering the amount of possesion we had in the second half and the attempts at goal (didn't check but its got to be in the late 'teens) it as massively upsetting that all bar one looked threatening - Babel's shot from the edge of the area.

United had the best chance of the game with Rooney's miss and if they had the possesion we had the scoreline could of been incredibly depressing. But how many times have we lamented our lack of clinicalness over the past few seasons. Best team won for my money. Unfortunately.

This.

Considering the amount of possesion we had in the second half and the attempts at goal (didn't check but its got to be in the late 'teens) it as massively upsetting that all bar one looked threatening - Babel's shot from the edge of the area.

United had the best chance of the game with Rooney's miss and if they had the possesion we had the scoreline could of been incredibly depressing. But how many times have we lamented our lack of clinicalness over the past few seasons. Best team won for my money. Unfortunately.

The passing in the first half was so poor at times. Rushed, inaccurate and poor decision making made us look like we had a team of Sissokos. Controlling the second half without threatening was so disappointing, I was watching in a pub with my girlfriend and a few friends and by the end they were counting the amount of times I sighed "'fuck's sake." The players we had out there; Gerrard, Benayoun, Kewell have shown they have creative potential and should be able to find an incisive pass but for a lot of this season we've failed to find that final pass against the bigger teams and sometimes even the so called minnows of the league. Kuyt was pretty much invisible and Man U's defence had Torres in their pocket the whole game, the only good point in the game for me was Ryan Babel, he's maturing into a good player with every game. He'll really be something next season.

This.

This is why I don't understand everybody talking about the progress we've made under Benitez. It's all exactly the same as his first season, although we've better players now.

Kuyt was pretty much invisible and Man U's defence had Torres in their pocket the whole game, the only good point in the game for me was Ryan Babel, he's maturing into a good player with every game. He'll really be something next season.

If he gets a start.

End of last season people were joking that Crouch had better be careful as every season Rafa had sold his top scoring striker. If Babel scores a few more he'll be off.

This is why I don't understand everybody talking about the progress we've made under Benitez. It's all exactly the same as his first season, although we've better players now.

Because there's more than just matches against Utd. Since Houiller left, our team has improved greatly, we're more organised and more dangerous and carry that form over the season

Yeah i have and i take your point but it was 1-0 and Liverpool could easily have scored the amount of chances they had so why not stay? Its just a real pet hate of mine

Mine too. Not wishing to be seen as trolling (it's worse at Old Trafford), but it's a particularly poor show when it happens at the stadium that's home to the anthem You'll Never Walk Alone when something can still be taken from the game. Some Liverpool fans more famously did this in Istanbul at half-time, of course.

Anyone get burgled today?

Yeah, Liverpool FC :D

I didn't see the game, but my dad sez we should have got at least something. Though we didn't score, so that doesn't really help. The only consolation I'm using is that we're still missing Agger and Alonso - Man Utd. suffer without Ronaldo (who hasn't been injured for a lengthy spell but HIS TIME WILL COME *MASSIVE WINK*), Arsenal were a very different team without Hleb and Fabbygrass and Chelsea suffer without Drogba. We've (probably) done considerably well for the circumstances, but there is always obvious room for improvement without mentioned important players. Buh.

Well As a United fan I think it was a fairly normal match between us two. the football was awful, really bad. More tension than actual skill. Liverpool controlled the midfield and should have had goals owing to Van Der Sars mistakes, but didn't take advantage of their chances.

In the end United deserved the win. Putting away your chances is what football is about.

They've just released this press statement

Liverpool FC issued the following press statement on Sunday night.

A meeting was held this evening involving Tom Hicks, George Gillett, Foster Gillett, Rick Parry and Rafa Benitez which was wide ranging and positive.

The discussions were amicable and constructive. All those present are united in their desire to bring further success to the club.

Today was certainly disappointing.

Torres looked a bit scared, but we all know he has trouble against teams that are camped and he can't hit on the break - however this isn't a criticism of him it's true of every player in the world. But, some of his touches weren't as assured as they normally are.

Our left hand side was poor. Very poor. Kewell gave away the ball cheaply in midfield which led to the corner for the first goal. As for the Rooney chance, Riise was off wandering and STROLLING back...not even looking at Rooney who was way ahead of him and should have scored. I really don't trust that guy at left back, he's either out of position or playing people onside. Plus his forward surges resulted in some wildly off target shooting that wasn't either the best choice or helpful to the team.

The goal itself...do you really leave Wayne Rooney unmarked/not notice that he's hanging about outside the penalty area during a corner? Poor stuff.

Kewell was the passenger today. He didn't offer much, his crossing was poor, and lost the ball a couple of times - in the lead up to the goal most notably.

Benayoun didn't really do much either - the only one that impressed going forwards was Babel when he came on.

Riise marked Ronaldo very well, but going forward he is very poor. His distribution is terrible more often than not, and in general without Agger at the back or Alonso to pick up the ball from our central defenders we relied too much on hoofing it

Kuyt has a heart of gold and works himself into the ground, but I just don't think he's good enough. In games like this you can't afford to have players who aren't quite up to scratch because the team gets found out. As an attacking force we look like we're relying too much on Gerrard or Torres to do the business

I thought our left hand side was much better than the right. Kewell did okay I thought. I still think Yossi was a bit lightweight for this game and Gerrard didn't have his best game. Arbeloa was probably our man of the match.

For all the talk of Lucas being new to the team and settling in and whatnot you must remember Anderson is 19.

And to sound like a broken record I don't think Benitez inspires the confidence in the team that he should. Whatever you say about Mourinho he gave his team an unshakable belief that they would win, something Benitez doesn't do and I can't see that changing.

We look like the 4th best team in the Premiership at the moment.

Well you look better than your league position then! :wub:

Personally, I think that on the day, any of the big 4 teams can beat anyone. Liverpool's problem is that they don't have that day as often as the other three. They have the talent, there's no question. But they're missing *something*.

There was an interesting statistic on one of the highlights programs last night showing Liverpool’s record against the ‘big 3’ under RB. It wasn’t very good. I can’t remember it exactly but they’re only taken something like 13 points in the years Rafa has been manager and most of those points were won against Arsenal in seasons when Arsenal weren’t challenging for the title. Against Manchester Utd and Chelsea they aren’t picking up points.

I was thinking leadership personally. Sure Gerrard does his best when he's motivated, but who's there to motivate him when he's not?

We have leaders; Rafa has brought in players with character, many of which have captained their former clubs. I think the comment about Benitez not instilling enough belief and confidence in his team could be a fair one, and the comparison to the difference in Mourinho's approach is glaring. We could do with the sort of confidence his teams are afforded.

Urgh, I knew that statement at the weekend didn't sound right:

Following press speculation on Saturday morning concerning Liverpool's new stadium in Stanley Park, Rick Parry today said: 'We remain absolutely committed to the building of a new stadium which will improve on the original design'

Chief Executive Rick Parry told liverpoolfc.tv: "We remain absolutely committed to the building of a new stadium which will improve on the original design inherited by Tom Hicks and George Gillett when they came into the club.

"It will have a capacity of around 70,000, be higher quality and have a substantially increased Kop which will form the centrepiece of the new plans.

"Ever since the original designs were unveiled, we have been continuously revising and refining with the intention of delivering the best possible solution to our future needs.

"The situation in the credit markets has not affected our design, programme, or implementation of building our new stadium. The priority has always been to build a winning team on the pitch and everything else we do is geared towards that."

Today's statement:

Rick Parry today reassured Liverpool fans they will have a stadium to be proud of in time for the 2011-12 season.

Parry admits the Reds have had to rethink plans for the futuristic designs revealed earlier in the year, but he is confident the new 70,000 seater stadium will still be a fitting home for the club.

He said: "We are now considering two schemes but the stadium will be a 70,000 seater.

"The new stadium will be a significant improvement on the original plans and a slightly different version of the new ones.

"And it will be a massive improvement on where we were 12 months ago, if not quite as dramatic as the plans unveiled in the summer.

"The single tier Kop remains fundamental to the design and we are not expecting any delays – it should be on schedule for 2011."