The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

"Taking charge of a game" is just empty pundit talk. What does it even mean for a central midfielder? 85+% pass completion ratio? Making clever interceptions to stop opposition attacks? Starting attacks going by quickly switching the play and playing quick, accurate balls into to the forwards?

In the English imagination it seems to merely mean making crunching (not tidy) tackles, and charging forward with the ball (regardless of what gaps are left at the back).

United need to buy Xavi and Yaya Toure in January. Problems solved.

Exactly. I've been saying for ages that we need to buy at least two world class midfield players. If we get Xavi, we might as well go in for Iniesta as well. Sneijder, Schweinsteiger and Xabi Alonso can be back-ups. No idea why Fergie hasn't been listening to me!

More seriously, as much as I'd like a new signing in January, it isn't going to happen. Even getting a player like Javi Martinez, the young Athletic Bilbao midfielder, would likely cost us around £30m. I imagine Eriksen and the other names bandied around would come at a similar price.

Exactly. I've been saying for ages that we need to buy at least two world class midfield players. If we get Xavi, we might as well go in for Iniesta as well. Sneijder, Schweinsteiger and Xabi Alonso can be back-ups. No idea why Fergie hasn't been listening to me!

master stroke, they wont even be cup tied for the EL.

More seriously, as much as I'd like a new signing in January, it isn't going to happen.

I agree, but why do you think it won't happen? Personally I think it's a mixture of Fergie being stubborn and trying to prove everybody wrong in that our current midfielders are good enough and a lack of funds.

Surely Fergie can see it's never going to work the way it is and he's also got the ammo he needs to go to the board and tell them we desperately need to spend money in that area now.

According to an article I e just read I the BBC the early exit is going to cost them in the region of £20m.

So, rather than spending big in the summer to strengthen our midfield, which we could have recouped by progressing further in the competition it looks like the Glazers have another excuse not to spend any money going forward.

It seems like a disastrous situation all round really. The fans aren't happy, the club isn't happy and the income generated which could strengthen our squad has been drastically hit.

I can see the excuses forming already.

According to an article I e just read I the BBC the early exit is going to cost them in the region of £20m.

So, rather than spending big in the summer to strengthen our midfield, which we could have recouped by progressing further in the competition it looks like the Glazers have another excuse not to spend any money going forward.

It seems like a disastrous situation all round really. The fans aren't happy, the club isn't happy and the income generated which could strengthen our squad has been drastically hit.

I can see the excuses forming already.

I always thought the Glazers, while being rather money/profit driven in the way they have handled your club, have never really had an issue investing cash in the squad? there was Jones and Young this summer which cost you what £30/35 million, its hardly not spending money.

In hindsight its got to fall on Fergie, he clearly thought the squad you had in place was good enough (with the addition of young) and spent on Jones for the future.

you would think that if he really thought that the squad was that bad, he would have been allowed to/forced the glazer to spend big on getting the player/players you needed.

I think our squad was good enough, even without any investment during in the summer you'd expect us to probably top the group but at least to easily qualify. When you look back over all the group games it was carelessness by letting Basel score 3 at OT, noting taking our chances in Basel and allowing Benfica two goals and being wasteful again. Basically complacency rather than a real lack of quality. Hopefully it gives the players a kick up the arse and reminds them no matter who good your team is perceived to be you cannot be complacent.

All the people slagging off Carrick's career at United in the last couple of pages are retards. He has struggled with form at times the last 2 -3 seasons at times but in his first 3 at United he was absolutely pivotal to a side which won the League and CL. I very much doubt United would have won what they did with the other players being mentioned here (on current form or otherwise).

That's not to say I think that Carrick would get into the other teams at this moment in time mind.

And whoever said Valencia stuggled against better teams, who exactly are they? We only played one team better than us last season (and everybody was poor) and he absolutely ruined Ashley Cole (in the second best team we played) who gets bandied around as the best LB in the league. I think he's struggled a bit this season due to missing most of pre-season and not getting a run of games. He may appear workmanlike compared to some 'flare' players but he's ruthlessly effective and perfectly suited to a 4-4-2.

I'm not sure he (Carrick) would either. But when he joined he was obviously a big improvement over the previous season when we had O'Shea pairing Giggs in the middle a lot of the time.

At the risk of sounding like Benitez there's an article on the guardian website today saying that our net spend on players over the past 5 seasons is lower than the likes of Villa and Stoke. That's scandalous when you consider the amount of money a club like us brings in.

I'm not sure he (Carrick) would either. But when he joined he was obviously a big improvement over the previous season when we had O'Shea pairing Giggs in the middle a lot of the time.

At the risk of sounding like Benitez there's an article on the guardian website today saying that our net spend on players over the past 5 seasons is lower than the likes of Villa and Stoke. That's scandalous when you consider the amount of money a club like us brings in.

There's a large £80m anomaly in your figures though.

There's a large £80m anomaly in your figures though.

Well yeah. Not sure what the point you're trying to make though. If anything it just underlines how constrained we are that we haven't spent it. The 50 million spent in the summer was largely made possible because of the likes of Scholes, Neville, Hargreaves, Van Der Sar, O'Shea and Brown all being taken off the wage bill. We have a lower net spend than Sunderland.

Well yeah. Not sure what the point you're trying to make though. If anything it just underlines how constrained we are that we haven't spent it. The 50 million spent in the summer was largely made possible because of the likes of Scholes, Neville, Hargreaves, Van Der Sar, O'Shea and Brown all being taken off the wage bill. We have a lower net spend than Sunderland.

Do you think having letting players like Brown, Hargreaves, and O'Shea go was a mistake with hindsight?

Do you think having letting players like Brown, Hargreaves, and O'Shea go was a mistake with hindsight?

Maybe O'Shea, just because he can do a job in various positions and the Da Silva twins are made of glass. Not so much the other two. Smalling and Jones would still start ahead of Brown and Hargreaves would only have been any good on a pay per play contract.

I just don't think the 80 million we got for Ronaldo is relevant in terms of our net spend, unless you start counting the proceeds Liverpool got from Torres, Spurs got for Berbatov etc...

This is going to be one of the most boring seasons I have ever lived.

I am even bored reading this thread, just endless talk about players, will we have enough who is good and who is not... boring.

Shit players, no CM's no CB's no GOOD ST's available, and at the moment they are struggling to play well together, fergie needs to fix up and start changing shit around and buying and selling in jan. If we don't do that city will be laughing there way to 100+ points.

In fact I hope we get relegated, then we might see some fucking decent games...

@ Benito

I would've liked us to hold onto Danny Simpson. Getting rid of him, Brown and O'Shea all in a short space of time was a bit silly really. When you take each decision in isolation they made sense, but together they really weakened us at right back. Hence Smalling being played out of position this season.

:(

So glad we have Smalling and Jones in form and available. Hopefully Evans will improve too. It says a lot that with Vidic out and Ferdinand unlikely to stay fit for too long, I'm actually more concerned about the fullback positions.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/dec/08/manchester-united-champions-league-exit

Carrick makes good players play better, whenever him and Scholes played in CM, Carrick does all the ugly work of sitting deep laying the ball off to Scholes who would go forward and work his magic.

Carrick was very good in both CL games against Chelsea last season.

That guardian article is very illuminating. Although everyone is aware that our spending is wholly inadequate, to see that our net spending is less than Stokes and Sunderland, nit to mention our top if the table rivals, is scandalous. The fact we are being used as a cash cow is one thing, that we are being drained and denied of talent is unforgiveable. I really do think we would benefit from a mid table finish from a long term point if view.