The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

It is seriously looking like the Carling cup is going to be Utd's only chance for silverware this season. There are no goals in this team at the minute apart from Rooney and he missed the only decent chance of the game.

Defeatist much?

Even if we lose this, we're still second in the league. That's not a bad position to be in, to be honest. Noone seems to really stamp their authority on the league this season so it's still fairly open. Don't go writing us off yet.

Defeatist much?

Even if we lose this, we're still second in the league. That's not a bad position to be in, to be honest. Noone seems to really stamp their authority on the league this season so it's still fairly open. Don't go writing us off yet.

I cant see how a team playing like Utd have been for a large portion of this season can win the league. Apart from Rooney no one else is scoring. Hence dropping points all over the place. There is a distinct lack of creativity and the defence is too injured ravaged to depend upon like last year.

I thought a lot of the build up play was alright but as soon as it got near the box nobody wanted to take responsibility of, you know, actually having a shot. The longer this season goes on the worse the glaring lack of a centre forward becomes.

I thought a lot of the build up play was alright but as soon as it got near the box nobody wanted to take responsibility of, you know, actually having a shot. The longer this season goes on the worse the glaring lack of a centre forward becomes.

Couldnt agree more tbh. With that performance a point is a decent result tho. Birmingham are now 12 unbeaten and it was never gonna be easy. Still a terribly disjointed attacking performance. Birmingham had the better chances by far and looked more potent than Utd if im gonna be objective about it.

I think Fergie needs to drop his adamant 'players are too expensive these days' mantra.

He's been around longer than most, so maybe current prices are even more difficult to swallow, but if a team needs goals you need to break the piggy bank and join the market like everyone else.

I mean, clubs with the spending power of Chelsea, Manchester City, Real Madrid et al aren't exactly going anywhere. Prices may drop a few million, but thats peanuts if it gets you the goals to win the premier league.

Well it all depends on if the newspaper reports are true that we actually don't have much money to spend because of the Glaziers debt finally starting to bite us in the ass. Of course Fergie will say otherwise. I don't know whether it's true or not and I guess we'll see in the next couple of years.

That said, we've spent a combined total of around 60 million on Berbatov, Nani and Anderson. Would even the most ardent United fan say that was money well spent? Nani by all accounts seems to have been relegated to sub-Carling Cup level hell, Anderson hasn't really made any progress halfway through his third season, and Berbatov is in and out of the team like a yo-yo. Add another nearly twenty million for a holding midfielder who's has been permanently injured and may never come back fully fit and I think it's fair to say we've wasted quite a lot of money. Of course you can balance that out against Evra and Vidic being absolute steals but still...

Fergie's mental.

Don't know what this was in reference too, but he definitely needs a proper number two to calm him down. On his todd his tactics become ever so absurd.

Was it a surprise we looked shit? Nope. Why?

Well one upfront is garbage for starters. Especially when Rooney is small and not particularly good in the air and against two beasts. So that narrows scoring from crosses down. He then plays a defensive midfielder in Carrick in an attacking position, nullifying much threat through the middle. Playing your wingers on the wrong flank was hardly a great move last week, repeated again today.

I mean this whole lack of creativity outside of Rooney is nothing new. Evra is a pearl, Valencia I like, but after them? It was like this last year, difference this time isn't necessarily Ronaldo but last year the defending wasn't nervous and fragmented so we edged numerous loads of shit identical to yesterday 1 nil.

I think Fergie needs to drop his adamant 'players are too expensive these days' mantra.

There is no money to spend. His line is a facade that doesn't standup to any kind of scrutiny, unless we think the likes of Berbatov, Hargreaves and even Valencia (who I like lots) are anything resembling good value. I mean how many wingers on the books, yet he trusts what, two? He's always paid over the top for his first choice.

Don't know what this was in reference too, but he definitely needs a proper number two to calm him down. On his todd his tactics become ever so absurd.

Honestly, this season is starting to look like 'throw a different formation and combination of players at the wall each week and hope some shit sticks.' He's completely descended into tinkering and bit-part player hell again, after a couple of seasons where our team was relatively settled. Apparently yesterday was the 100th successive game of the same team not starting two games in row.

That said, we've spent a combined total of around 60 million on Berbatov, Nani and Anderson. Would even the most ardent United fan say that was money well spent? Nani by all accounts seems to have been relegated to sub-Carling Cup level hell, Anderson hasn't really made any progress halfway through his third season, and Berbatov is in and out of the team like a yo-yo. Add another nearly twenty million for a holding midfielder who's has been permanently injured and may never come back fully fit and I think it's fair to say we've wasted quite a lot of money. Of course you can balance that out against Evra and Vidic being absolute steals but still...

I genuinely struggle to remember the last transfer that made me sit up and think wow, I'm really excited about this guy coming to Utd. Evra and Vidic are now fantastic, but it wasn't always the way. Evra I'd seen at Monaco and thought yeah, he'll be good. Then he was awful initially, Vidic no better.

The names that initially struck me when contemplating were Ferdinand and Rooney, but they were ages ago. I remember thinking VDS was a good purchase, but that was more down to the clowns he was replacing... surely there must be somebody else. There's been plenty that I wanted that never materialized for whatever reason.

Honestly, this season is starting to look like 'throw a different formation and combination of players at the wall each week and hope some shit sticks.' He's completely descended into tinkering and bit-part player hell again, after a couple of seasons where our team was relatively settled. Apparently yesterday was the 100th successive game of the same team not starting two games in row.

Well there is an illogical statement, considering those 100 games obviously include games last season when you were "relatively settled".

I wouldn't say we were settled at all last season. It was almost as shit to watch as this season's been so far, but like somebody's already said, we had Ronaldo and the defence was pretty consistent allowing us to sneak loads of 1-0 wins. It doesn't change the fact that the midfield and attack has been fucked around with far too much without any progress. We need to spend, get some solid players in key positions and get back to playing decent football, instead of sticking with the shit.

The article in the Mirror today about Berbatov, Anderson, Nani, Vidic and Tosic being offloaded in the summer would be great if it was true (bar Vidic), but I'd still be worried it'd be more to service the debt than to rebuild the squad.

Something needs sorting because things can't carry on the way they are.

Agreed with the sumations of last year. Ronaldo really did carry the team at times when the attacking play was static and lacking creativity. There are too many players at the club now that are decent but cant kick on from there. Anderson is hit and miss, Nani is......well Nani, Berbatov is not scoring enough goals, Tosic.......who is he again? As for the youth players, Rafael is good, the others, im really not sure about. I cant see Welbeck ever being a first team player, whilst Gibson seems too slow and not good enough at passing.

Regards the money situation it really does look like this is not an option. Here are a couple of articles if you havent read em:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/mattslater/2010...nd_for_eve.html

http://www.unitedrant.co.uk/?p=5469

The days of stellar names coming is over until the debt situation is sorted out I think. I really wish people would stop talking about Villa and Silva. They are no longer the reality of United's financial position. Perhaps trying to get cheaper players already in the Premier league, eg, Cahill, Shawcross are all we can expect.

I mean this whole lack of creativity outside of Rooney is nothing new. Evra is a pearl, Valencia I like, but after them? It was like this last year, difference this time isn't necessarily Ronaldo but last year the defending wasn't nervous and fragmented so we edged numerous loads of shit identical to yesterday 1 nil.

I think the difference yesterday was Ronaldo. With him on the pitch we would have been 3 up by half time with the pressure and chances we had. I always worried we would miss his aerial threat and it is really starting to cause problems now. I think this is part of the reason we play 4-3-3, what is the point in sending men to the byline to put crosses in if you have no aerial threat?

The article in the Mirror today about Berbatov, Anderson, Nani, Vidic and Tosic being offloaded in the summer would be great if it was true (bar Vidic), but I'd still be worried it'd be more to service the debt than to rebuild the squad.

I'm surprised Tosic hasn't been offloaded already. Nani looks a certainty to go so fingers crossed he has a decent World Cup to bump his price up. Berbatov and Vidic are interesting ones. Some of the best football we have played this year has been with Berbatov on the pitch but he just doesn't have the goal scoring instinct of a proper CF and is unfortunately rubbish in the air. No way is Anderson going, when given a run of games in an advanced position he looks better than most of our other players, the issue is when Fletcher isn't in the team as every other midfield combination is incapable of holding onto or winning the ball.

The days of stellar names coming is over until the debt situation is sorted out I think. I really wish people would stop talking about Villa and Silva. They are no longer the reality of United's financial position. Perhaps trying to get cheaper players already in the Premier league, eg, Cahill, Shawcross are all we can expect.

When were the days we bought stellar names from abroad though? Even in general? I think people sometimes get a bit confused at how good players are now (or while they were at OT) and how good they were before they came. The only stellar name we have ever purchased from abroad is Veron and that was a relative failure. You could possibly include RVN but that is about it.

Shawcross wanted to leave for first team football, much like Pique so not a lot we could do on those. I think Evans is better than both (or at least far better suited to the PL than the latter) anyway.

Yeah, we should just be playing him and Rooney at the same time at every available opportunity. We need goals more than anything, I think having them both on the pitch is our best chance. Valencia is banging them in a decent rate too, and I think we should give Obertan a decent run as he also looks to have goals in him. I think think is the team we want to put out for the City game, and rotate as little as possible;

Berba   Rooney

Obertan         Valencia

Carrick Fletcher

Evra Vidic Evans Rafael

???????

They will sit back and try to break. With two defensive mids, we should be able to keep the ball well enough for the break to be less of a threat, but have enough width to stretch them. I have no opinion regarding the goalkeeper, we need someone new in.

Luckily he isn't Spanish :)

Is that true though? 100 Games?

Berba   Rooney

Obertan         Valencia

Hargreaves* Fletcher

Evra Vidic Evans Rafael

???????

*when fit

We should buy Joe Hart to play in goal, Kuschak has been doing ok though, back to keeper controversy again after being settled with VDS for a good while. We desperately need another striker, Berbatov has looked fucking shite when i've seen him, so he can fuck off and we should should swap him for ............Jermaine Beckford! Only joking, i dunno which strikers are worth buying i hardlywatch any football these days.