The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

Both teams were fucking shit to be honest. Even the goal was fucking shit. Shit shot, shit defending, shit goalkeeping.

Ah well, they'll be out next round now they've had their cup final.

The space created by Neville's inability to chase back created a chasm between the two centre backs. It was very simple stuff for the goal, just a lofted ball between the two. Neville stayed on, we kept having this problem, and we were never comfortable in defence. As for the attack, Gibson and Anderson are not exactly the masters of controlling a game's tempo, not that they had many useful options besides Rooney.

Just saw this on the BBC website:

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson: "I must admit, I didn't expect that performance. If you don't start and the other team does, you're always up against it. Leeds had a far bigger appetite than us for the game. You need a a bit of luck and they got it, but they deserved it because they played really well. The referee gave five minutes of injury time and that's an insult to the game, to the players out there."

I didn't get to see the interview (they didn't show it here) so I didn't get the tone.. when I read it I guessed he was being gracious and saying for once that 5 minutes was too much and an insult to the Leeds players, but Jonathan Stevenson suggests otherwise..

He wasn't seriously saying there should've been more than 5 mins added time was he?! And I didn't see him shake Grayson's hand after the game :huh:

Just saw this on the BBC website:

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson: "I must admit, I didn't expect that performance. If you don't start and the other team does, you're always up against it. Leeds had a far bigger appetite than us for the game. You need a a bit of luck and they got it, but they deserved it because they played really well. The referee gave five minutes of injury time and that's an insult to the game, to the players out there."

I didn't get to see the interview (they didn't show it here) so I didn't get the tone.. when I read it I guessed he was being gracious and saying for once that 5 minutes was too much and an insult to the Leeds players, but Jonathan Stevenson suggests otherwise..

He wasn't seriously saying there should've been more than 5 mins added time was he?! And I didn't see him shake Grayson's hand after the game :huh:

They showed the interview on ITV and he meant that it was not enough injury time, graceless bastard that he is.

BOTH teams were shit?! Leeds were incredible, maybe without the technical ability you come to expect if you watch premiership games exclusively whilst donning yr blinkers to everything 'below' you. But I'm talking passion, effort and determination. Same goes for the support by the sounds of it.

And that comes from someone who 'fucking hates leeds'

apart from Rooney, he's put his all into every game I've ever seen him play.

apart from Rooney, he's put his all into every game I've ever seen him play.

I know Rooney is a great player who gives his all every game but that doesnt excuse him altogether. He missed a number of decent chances today. He is as culpable as the rest. Effort doesnt make up for poor finishing.

Lol

IT WAS YOUR CUP FINAL! Lamest thing to say ever. Just like its been Liverpool's cup final against man utd when we beat them in the league 3 times in a row! Man Utd aren't very good in cup finals are they?

Indeed. The Exeter message boards had a number of Leeds fans visiting back at the start of the season informing us that the trip up to Elland Road was our cup final.

Looking forward to beating them at St James Park on January 16th! If we beat them, then we're, effectively, better than the current Premiership champions!! :huh:

I know Rooney is a great player who gives his all every game but that doesnt excuse him altogether. He missed a number of decent chances today. He is as culpable as the rest. Effort doesnt make up for poor finishing.

agree to a certain extent but I just can't help but be impressed by his dogedness, he can out sprint a player that on paper is quicker just through sheer determination. It's hard to describe.

He also laid up a couple of chances and shifted the play around hell of a lot more than owen who seemingly did nothing but squander decent openings.

Of course owen wasn't on for the full 90.

Was anyone at the match today?

What's your point, not sure it's relevant unless matches are subject to some delayed computer adjustment and it turns out owen actually smashed that cut back into the top corner. Have we all been conned?

What's your point, not sure it's relevant unless matches are subject to some delayed computer adjustment and it turns out owen actually smashed that cut back into the top corner. Have we all been conned?

Hey touchy!

I was going to comment about the atmosphere, as a couple of mates were there and they said it was the best thing about the shite match.

Sorry! Thought you were going from the 'proper fan' angle, which always gets my goat.

Must admit it sounded an awesome atmosphere from the TV. Although it always would be with 9k Leeds fans there. Gotta give it to them it's always a decent noise when we (derby) play um

edit: a Leeds fan pulled a knife on me mid 90s am worrying myself the fact I'm giving them so much credit.

Sorry! Thought you were going from the 'proper fan' angle, which always gets my goat.

Must admit it sounded an awesome atmosphere from the TV. Although it always would be with 9k Leeds fans there. Gotta give it to them it's always a decent noise when we (derby) play um

edit: a Leeds fan pulled a knife on me mid 90s am worrying myself the fact I'm giving them so much credit.

I didn't watch it as I was out on my bike but a couple of mates who would have been out with me watched it on the box.

A couple were at the match. The rest of my blue brethren were no doubt dismayed by the poor quality football being displayed by our red cousins. I do laugh when Tbb who is from Leeds I believe, is a red. Proper tickles me. Anyhoo. United have us to come in the cup. I wonder what sort of game that's going to be? Should be interesting if nothing else.

Says in the Times that Vidic could be off.

I thought he would go in the summer but not this soon. Could be rubbish, but it seems fairly possible to me.

Much like all the Nani speculation it seems to be based almost entirely around the assumption that they are being dropped for anything other than injury. Why would you drop a player minutes before a match because of transfer speculation that has been going on for months now?

Mike Phelan is being linked with the (likely) soon to be available Burnley job which is probably shite but our assistant managers nearly always end up in a management job somewhere..

We're playing typically shite again today. We might have had the majority of the possession, but what's the point when nobody seems to want to score? We really need some more creative players, they just look totally devoid of ideas these days.

It is seriously looking like the Carling cup is going to be Utd's only chance for silverware this season. There are no goals in this team at the minute apart from Rooney and he missed the only decent chance of the game.

I wouldn't be suprised if Birmingham went on to do a Leeds and simply put everyone behind the ball for the entire second half. With our lack of creativity it won't be difficult to stop us scoring for 45 minutes.