IGNORED

The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

Just now, feltmonkey said:

Are we trying to play a 3 in midfield of Pogba left, McTominay sitting and Bruno right?  No wonder Villarreal have come back into the game. Pogba and Bruno are too far forward. We're almost playing a front five with Scotty on his own in midfield!

yep...it does not work...they both want to go forward, and waaaaaay too far forward!

In terms of knowing the opposition, what to do to counter particular opponents, who to target, that sort of thing. Modern teams have set moves they try and very rigid patterns of play. United's "DNA" seems resistant to that approach. I'm not saying Fergie sent them out to do whatever.

Yeah, it's a myth.

Oddly enough the closest to what you're talking about was Mourinho, who never did any attacking work and preferred to leave the forwards to figure it out for themselves.

United under Fergie worked extensively on triggering their attacks, as well as some ridiculous detail in defence. I was working there and saw the infamous 2008 semi 2nd leg training sessions, and nobody would believe how obsessive they were.

It's a nice bit of corporate myth-making that Fergie somehow shepherded his squads through winning seasons on energy and vibes alone. Looks good in print, but it's not true.

The way to fix this is for Pogba, Bruno, and the full-backs to be more alive to the counter-attack. Bruno did it just then and won the ball back before the counter attack developed.  Most of the time, we've turned the ball over and all four of them are immediately taken out of the game and start jogging back as our centre backs are horribly exposed.

Pogba or Sancho off, Fred on. Go back to 4-2-3-1. Give the defence a fighting chance, stop their counters, and free Bruno up to win us the game. 

It'd be an improvement - what wouldn't - but it's still placing faith in what didn't do the job last time out.

Sancho has been a plus, although he shouldn't be on the left. He's done alright though.

Am I mad for thinking Donny on for Pogba would be a good swap here? Villarreal are predictably compact, he will move the ball more quickly and open up space for the other forwards with his intelligent off ball runs. He's also no more of a defensive liability.

Also the full backs are shocking, I'd be tempted to get Bailly on and switch to a back 3.