The Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

I’m in love with champion’s league Varane already 😍 debuting in this extremely difficult game and being our best player? Shiiiiiiiiiiit we’ve struck gold, lads!

Well, we got away with that. We were lucky, and Wolves were unlucky and need someone to start putting the ball in the net.

Greenwood looked our most dangerous player again all match.  Fred and Pogba improved a lot in the second half. Fair play to him, Pogba was very good in the second half.  Sancho will improve - he looked like a quality player, but wasn't quite up to Premier League pace yet. The save from De Gea and the clearance from Wan-Bissaka were brilliant, and won us the game.  It was probably a foul for the goal, but Neves shouldn't expect United to kick the ball out.

Verane though. It's lost in the coverage, but what a debut!  He's a Rolls-Royce of a player.

1 minute ago, feltmonkey said:

Well, we got away with that. We were lucky, and Wolves were unlucky and need someone to start putting the ball in the net.

Greenwood looked our most dangerous player again all match.  Fred and Pogba improved a lot in the second half. Fair play to him, Pogba was very good in the second half.  Sancho will improve - he looked like a quality player, but wasn't quite up to Premier League pace yet. The save from De Gea and the clearance from Wan-Bissaka were brilliant, and won us the game.  It was probably a foul for the goal, but Neves shouldn't expect United to kick the ball out.

Verane though. It's lost in the coverage, but what a debut!  He's a Rolls-Royce of a player.

Rolls-Royce is the perfect definition for him. This was a really difficult game and I can’t imagine we would have come away with 3 points last season. I’ve no doubt de Gea himself feels more secure and confident with those two CBs in front of him.

9 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

We were lucky insofar as their keeper parrying Greenwood's shot in, but that was all. Good defending and goalkeeping otherwise. I suppose some would pull up Pogba and Neves before the goal tbf. 50/50 for me, there to be won and not enough contact for a foul.

12 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

We were lucky insofar as their keeper parrying Greenwood's shot in, but that was all. Good defending and goalkeeping otherwise.

Yeah, brilliant play by both of them. I mean, we were lucky on the overall balance of play, and on reflection the decision in the build up to the goal.  

I'll take it though. You have to win that sort of game, and on days when you aren't creating good chances, having guys who can stick away half-chances is going to get you points.  

It made a difference having a centre-back who is always in the right position and knows exactly what to do in every situation.

Traore is entertaining to watch as an opponent. You can watch him tearing through the defence fairly safe in the knowledge that he isn't going to actually hurt you.  Shaw did well against him second half.

Also, getting that unbeaten away record is impressive.

What’s gonna happen with Donny? Because at the moment he’s a forgotten man. I feel for him, and I feel for Ole if he genuinely doesn’t see a reason to put him in the team. Would he be better off just sold? We’re still no closer to finding a good position for him on the pitch. It’s really sad.

24 minutes ago, Gabzy said:

What’s gonna happen with Donny? Because at the moment he’s a forgotten man. I feel for him, and I feel for Ole if he genuinely doesn’t see a reason to put him in the team. Would he be better off just sold? We’re still no closer to finding a good position for him on the pitch. It’s really sad.

Provided Varane and Maguire knit together well, he'll get a spell in midfield during the season, and should feature a sight more once Pogba leaves. It's puzzling Ole didn't give him his legs today, given his current training. It's tricky because the base of midfield isn't what it needs to be, and his ideal position in place of Bruno is a substitution Ole often seems afraid to make.

3 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

It was probably a foul for the goal, but Neves shouldn't expect United to kick the ball out.

I suspect neves shouldn’t run along five steps, after clearing the ball and getting no contact from the opposition, then decide to fall over.

Sounds like Dan James is off to Leeds for a bigger fee than we’ve paid for Ronaldo 😂 He must be among the worst players we’ve had in recent memory. Up there with Bellion and Djemba Djemba for me.

1 hour ago, ckny said:

He must be among the worst players we’ve had in recent memory.

https://www.unitedinfocus.com/news/manchester-united-unbeaten-with-dan-james-in-the-team-since-first-day-of-last-season/

This includes nine Champions League and Europa League matches, two domestic cup matches, and 15 matches now in the Premier League.

That totals 26 consecutive games United are unbeaten with James in the side.

These matches include games against Chelsea (2), Leeds (2), Manchester City, Leicester City, Aston Villa, and West Ham, and Wolves.

Didn’t Gareth Bale lose his first 40 league games or something? Meaningless statistics. He’s got nothing but pace, no end product, can’t finish, can’t pick a pass. Seems like a decent guy and would be a good squad player for a bottom half of table club, but he’s not fit to wear the red of United.

No way, he's a decent player.  To say he has no end product just isn't correct. He creates chances.  He has a pretty limited method - he uses his pace down the wing and he crosses the ball. When he's doing that, for both United and Wales, he tends to hit consistently decent crosses. In his first season, it became a bit of a running joke that he kept creating very good chances that the rest of the forward line missed. 

Last season when he played he scored quite a few goals. He scores for Wales as well. He's not a bad finisher.

Add to this that he always gives 100% and tracks defensively. His pace is an asset defensively as well. Yesterday, it was him who stopped the Wolves player from tapping in the rebound after Wan-Bissaka's goal-line clearance, having sprinted back from the right wing position.

He's limited, of course. He lacks a trick, he's not a brilliant dribbler, he doesn't have a great passing range, and he's not inventive in the final third.  When we're putting an opponent under pressure and pinning them back he doesn't tend to contribute much.  He's a great squad member though, and it's really unfair to compare him to absolute flops like Bellion and Djemba-Djemba.  

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

Good luck to him.  :)

Behave. Nobody going there deserves an ounce of goodwill.

I don't like how this seems to have happened because Ronaldo. If Ole chooses Lingard for those occasions James would have featured then fine - the two of them are similarly well-disciplined and would do good jobs against top sides, especially away.

See how that pans out. If it turns out the James money sorts the right midfielder then it's a sacrifice worth making.

£30m?  Blimey.

I do wish him good luck, because I like the guy.  May he score the consolation goals in all their crushing defeats.

I'd let Lingard go, but I'd hang on to Donny.  Lingard to West Ham is something I want to happen as a football fan. His spell on loan there was a lot of fun to watch.

I think of Bielsa improves James as much as he did with Harrison, he'll be a great player. I think £30 million is a high price though. Comparing the fee for a 23 year old to a 36 year old is pretty pointless though. 

yeah 30 mil is a lot of money for a player i doubt would ever be given a regular first team shot at man utd. I think it's a very good bit of business. i doubt we'll bring in another midfielder. im incredibly frustrated with VDB and the way he's being sidelined.

Seems to be €28m so £24m? Still fairly high. Interesting Bielsa wanted him before and has gone back. A humble willing runner and selfless player with pace, it'll be great to see him consistently for Leeds. He's not a superstar, he's a solid premier league player who will have his days where he gives a fullback a game to forget and does his bit for the team. 

I'd rather Lingard and Van De Beek left to play. Sure i read Van De Beek wants to fight for his place and Lingard seems to love Man United too much. Can still see Lingard going late tomorrow though. I don't expect Man United to bring in any midfielder in this late. 

Sancho's arrival after the transfer saga has been anticlimatic, for a player who is so individually impressive to be almost forgotten about after 3 games is disappointing.