The Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

Pogba interview...

"On the penalty decision against him: "Just don't tackle. I don't know how to tackle. I try to be the English guy. I need to practise more. I need to practise to tackle wthout arms. It's unlucky. I've been unlucky a lot this season with penalties.""

class :lol:

I think you're forgetting how good Zlatan was. He was such a leader on the pitch and made us a lot better just by demanding that we were. On top of this, he played every game and always seemed to score.

2 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

I think you're forgetting how good Zlatan was. He was such a leader on the pitch and made us a lot better just by demanding that we were. On top of this, he played every game and always seemed to score.

He was playing in a much worse side, and was more of a spearhead. I'd take Cavani's industry over him anyday. That said, United still need another number 9 in the summer unless they're going to commit fully to Martial through the middle (which could happen with Pogba being rejigged a bit).

34 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Ole has convinced Cavani to sign a new contract with United :wub:

Does that mean they’re not going for Haaland though?

Needs in order:

Defensive midfielder who can pick a pass. I think Garner will spend next season on a top-flight loan and isn't there just yet.

Centre-back with a brain and some pace.

Either a centre-forward or a right-sided attacker.

Oh, and a keeper if Dave and Romero go.

Ndidi, Varane and Sancho please. Get Dave his fatherhood in Madrid in exchange. Varane can develop Axel and Mengi.

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

Why would we want Haaland? We need a CM and CB. 

Oh yeah, I agree, but I don’t have much faith in Martial and Cavani will be leaving at the end of next season by which time, Haaland will be at a top club and won’t be moving. For me, I think we should go for him and a centre back. Plus, maybe a defensive mid if we can get someone at a decent price.

I can’t wait to see how things play out this transfer window now Ed is out of the picture. Hopefully it’ll be for the better.

As good as Cavani is, he isn't going to play every week.  I don't think Martial cuts it as a number nine.  I still think a centre forward is an important signing.  Centre back is the number one priority, and if we recruit well enough there, the need for a defensive midfielder subsides somewhat.  If we trust the defence, we don't need to shield them quite as much.  We already have three defensive midfielders of varying quality in the squad.  Are we assuming that if we get Ndidi (who would cost an eyewatering fee) we will suddenly revert to Pogba playing in the centre of midfield?  A world-class centre-back would have the same effect - we could play Pogba and McTominay.  If we have unlimited funds, then Ndidi or possibly Rice would be a good signing.  Perhaps even Phillips from Leeds.  None of those would cost much under £60m though.  Any half-arsing would be pointless - we might as well play McFred if we're going to get someone untried from the Portuguese league or something.  I suspect we would play two CDMs anyway, as the problem isn't that Pogba doesn't do the work back there - he does.  It's just that he tends to be a bit daft when defending and gives away penalties.  Whoever we played alongside him couldn't stop that happening.  Pogba is probably going to play further up the pitch permenantly now.

Sancho might be a waste of money.  From what I've seen this season, Greenwood is a better player.  The plan might be for Cavani, if indeed he is staying, to spend a lot of time teaching Greenwood how to be a genuine number nine, but I don't know if he's ever going to be quite that sort of player.  Perhaps he will, I don't know.  It's extremely rare for players to develop the instincts to play as a centre-forward.  Henry and Ronaldo are exceptions to this rule.  

For me, the top priority would be Verane.  Specifically him, as any cheap-out options would inevitably involve a long development process, and the risk that whoever we signed wouldn't adapt to playing for such a big club.  Get that in place now and plan the rest of the recruitment around it.  

If we are going for a striker, and like I say I would be, wouldn't Kane be a better option that Haaland?  He seems ready to move.  It would involve negotiating with Daniel Levy, of course, but we know Spurs need to fund their artisanal cheese stadium.  The upsides are that he knows the league, he's desperate to win something now, he's really flipping good and scores 30 goals every season, and his style of play would dovetail perfectly with our wide players.  The downside is he's older, and seems a bit injury-prone.  

35 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

As good as Cavani is, he isn't going to play every week. 

But he can mentor Greenwood. 

Sancho might be a waste of money.  From what I've seen this season, Greenwood is a better player. 

Sancho is better. 

Sancho and Greenwood are very different players. Greenwood will be through the middle sooner rather than later, whilst Sancho is an out-an-out right-sided attacker. The signings of Pellistri and Diallo make me wonder whether or not Sancho is still on the radar.

good greif!! ive been saying we need a proper DLP for ages, y'all called me mad lol

as for Varane, I cant get on board with that, he looks great next to, and only next to, Ramos. On his own, he can be a liability!

honestly, id really like to see Axel play with Maguire!

Axel reminds me of Upamecano in the way he plays, and his physicality. He is only going to get better by playing!

But, as we have, for some reason!?!,  signed Bailey up for a few more years, i doubt we will be looking for a CB....we still have Phil jones ffs...

I reckon our current defence will be fine for one more season with a proper sweeper keeper behind them. There was one point in the Spurs match where Kane was chasing a pass and got past Maguire, but Henderson came out to the edge of the area to beat Kane to the ball. That’s not something De Gea did much and left our slower centre backs exposed a bit more. If we can get a proper DM who can play there on his own they will have even more protection compared to when it’s just Fred or Scott. Also doesn’t Maguire have some of the best stats in the league for a defender this season? While he’s made a few mistakes early on this season that wouldn’t have been out of place with Jones and Smalling (blame Greece and lack of preseason?) he’s otherwise been pretty solid for us.

With Cavani staying it means we can probably go all in on a RW and DM while saving CB and ST for next summer. A proper RW will benefit AWB loads as he often has to play in the whole of the right side on his own. I think the only way we bring in another striker is if Martial gets sold. 

With the Cavani and Bailly news my bets are on a new right winger, defensive midfielder and probably an older player to play backup to AWB unless ole is going to trust Williams or Laird. 

Are Matic and Mata still contracted for next season or are they possibly off too?

2 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

we might as well play McFred if we're going to get someone untried from the Portuguese league or something.

E.g. Bruno? ;)

I agree, I'd like us to go for Kane. I don't think we have a hope of signing Haaland, he can literally go to any club in the world, and we're just not in that top tier anymore (for now at least).

On 29/04/2021 at 20:56, GamesGamesGames said:

Yeah. One to the ridiculous modern handball law, and one to the Keystone Cops as mentioned. The first twenty was decent and if he can get that out of them second half, they'll turn it around.

Two caveats obvs:

Keystone Cops.

Not giving Donny or Johnny Kills time enough to break them down.

Big half ahead.

23 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Did Italy ever change their knife laws? A few aways in the 90s stuffing Gazzetas down jean legs. I think stabbing to the legs and buttocks was a lesser offence and they were awful for it.

dude...you're the one going on about "keystone cops" (what!?) and knife laws...

so...er....yeah...:unsure:

11 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

dude...you're the one going on about "keystone cops" (what!?) and knife laws...

so...er....yeah...:unsure:

Keystone Cops is common enough slang. I've not been away from the UK that long surely....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystone_Cops#%3A~%3Atext%3DThe_phrase_"Keystone_cops_defending%2Cerrors_leads_to_a_goal.?wprov=sfla1

The phrase "Keystone cops defending" has become a catchphrase for describing a situation in an English football match where a defensive error or a series of defensive errors leads to a goal.

There you go. It's a phrase commonly used at the match.

I was thinking about the knife laws with Roma away around the corner. I stopped going after the takeover but recall aways in Italy (Juve, Inter, Fiorentina...) where we had to protect ourselves because of what we were told was a legal loophole over there. A couple of the lads I used to go with had tales to tell from the pair of Roma aways what, 07 and 08?

So yeah. A phrase from football matches, and reminiscing about travelling around the globe following the team I grew up three streets down from. Crazy takes those. :rolleyes: