The Man Utd Thread

Ive been done with Pogba for a while. Additionally for however much i love Ole, i'm still convinced he's not tactically astute enough to not only make the onfield correct descisions in a timely manner (fergie was the same) but more importantly be ruthless enough and have a plan in place to get to the next level.

"Oh well, I gave up football. It affected my day too much. It's just stupid." He used to be a fanatical Tottenham fan, until he decided not to be, and he now no longer gives the club a thought. 

Director Steve McQueen...he's got a point. Was 2014 though...

I watched up to 25 minutes so saw the 2 goals conceded, then went to play football even though I didn't want to go. Recorded it with the intention of watching the rest when I got back, only for me to be told the score by someone as the match ended. Maybe for the best...it's the hope that kills you right, or was there no hope after those two late goals anyway because after Leipzig's 3rd it never seemed possible...

Only a win vs Istanbul would have done it right? If substituting Fred vs PSG would have given United 20 minutes after their goal to equalise then it was another 20 minutes vs Leipzig that mattered in finishing in the top 2 of the group.

Can we really say United would have really stood a chance against any number of top teams they might have faced in the next round? I can't stand the Europa league, it's just depressing, that's the only thing. Rather not be in it and concentrate on the league, even though while we can make sense of that we know it won't make any difference in matches when 2 defenders decide to go haywire again and not mark the player in acres of space.

Flashbacks to the Brighton game, it's very 606 to scream just mark the fucking player on your side not the one already marked by the other defender you can clearly see. If formation changes and tactics confuse the simplicity of that thinking..god still just mark the fucking player. 

I don't get the impression Ole feels the importance of key decisions and mistakes in the fine margins of football at the highest level. Like how it bothers me when defenders don't press quickly to prevent a cross being hit, for Leipzig's 2nd goal being a yard away with a foot up wasn't enough. If it's optimism, oh it'll be alright I'm sure it will be headed out by a defender like 90% of the time...ohh no game over, then it's not good enough. Or Maguire leaving that ball. I watched it on highlights over and over trying to tell whether he could have got to it.

No one apart from Sporting fans raved about Fernandes 3 years ago. Was there no defender out there who possesses the same commitment. The club spent big on Maguire as though there was only 3 premier league defenders to choose from in the whole world. You can't be meek like he is.

It's like the tennis player Nick Kyrgios, he admits he isn't prepared to put in the extra effort needed to win grand slams, he makes quite a bit of money and is fine with that. I don't really blame him. But then you think...you're already putting in time and effort anyway? You're putting in a lot and not getting that much out of it, so all that effort is kind of wasted. And if you're happy with where you are why are you angry all the time? Because mistakes and poor performances inevitably just piss you off? You'd think Wan Bissaka and Maguire can't sleep properly thinking of those mistakes. They can't not play and avoid the annoyances of making the same mistakes over and over. Nor can they be perfect all the time, sure. It's just..not conceding early was really key, not conceding a 3rd was really key. 

Is it reactionary to endlessly go back and forth praising Ole after a win then wanting someone else after a loss. How much is Ole responsible for bringing the best out of Fernandes and Rashford (and Fred I guess) that another manager wouldn't just as easily replicate?

It's just so hard to predict the next match. Have no idea what the derby will bring. Unlike the previous 3 managers Ole has settled on a first 11. Are fans expecting too much? Would another manager not just make mistakes, if not different ones? Or is the disorganization really that bad. Cos scoring goals, bringing the best out of a few attackers is all I wanted from man united games, even if moments are contained to short periods in games. Would Rodgers leave Leicester the first chance a big club comes for him? Would people prefer him over Pochettino? Is this overthinking everything? Win or lose who cares? 

The Fred Decision (as it shall be forever known, also yes, this again..last time now ok) makes me think of Nani's red card vs Real Madrid, because while Ferguson was protesting, Mourinho immediately -from the moment Nani was shown the card- got up and shoved Modric on. I can't remember if Modric was even ready, I don't think he was, but the point is he didn't hesitate. John Terry used to say Mourinho would get them playing different formations in games depending on the scoreline, he prepared for that in training really precisely. Mourinho already decided Modric would be the perfect player to bring on in a situation like that. 

Not that I like Mourinho now cos he's doing well at spurs. I don't miss the going to war with players which is never helpful or the football which I couldn't bare to watch. 

The tactic seems to be; Pogba chipped ball to Fernandes running in from the right, who then isn't on an angle to score nor is there anyone in the centre to pull the ball back to. 

Didn't realise Sterling's record vs United was so bad. He just sent AWB off into the other direction hard though. A certain goal without the defence making a wall. 

Commentator just said Haaland was a man city fan as a kid (not a surprise really), 'I wonder if they're preparing a bid'. I remember really wanting Aguero and knowing he'd be good. As we've seen this season City aren't the same without him. It's not quite game over for every other team if City get Haaland but it'd be close. 

Pretty much 90% of United's play has been down the right, from back to front. Forgot Greenwood and Rashford were playing. I've read fans complain the attack is usually lobsided down the left making it easy for the opposition to break up the play. 

Pogba has been visible at least, getting around. 

I often find during big United games that I can't just watch the game, I have to have something for my hands to nervously fiddle with. That's why I often post so much during matches. Today I've spent the whole first half noodling on my guitar. Anyway, my point is that I've not been able to hear the commentary, so I've no idea what the official Sky line on that first half is, but I've found it pretty enjoyable. Some good football from both teams. City had one big chance down their right that De Gea saved, but I think we might have just shaded it. 

Pogba has been class, the best player on the pitch.

I’ve noticed you’ve played all the ‘Big 6’ at home already except us (LFC) that is unusual and might explain why you’re not very good at home but great away

appalling game and couldn’t decide if I wanted you to win or not

That's the last United game I'm going to watch live in a while. But I didn't think it was that dire, I thought the Chelsea match a few weeks ago was far worse and it doesn't come close to the worst, also Chelsea about 4/5 years ago at Old Trafford. 

Just generally football seems to be at a low. I mean just premier league and champions league. It's like I got used to no crowd and now it's missing again. It's just not the full package, it still feels that life is in limbo, games are being played but they don't matter. I think football should have done more to bring fans back into stadiums by now. 

I thought the playing out from the back was confidently done with no hesitation. And Maguire had one of his stronger games. Pogba was strong on the ball, was all over and looked more committed than usual. 

Motd keep highlighting that United need a centre forward to attack vacant spaces but I'm not convinced Greenwood and Rashford are being asked to play that role and as such aren't incapable of doing it. It's not extraordinary to make runs but mostly they're dropping to pick up the ball wide and when in the box waiting for the pass aren't switching into ruthless goal machine mode. 

Pundits talk about gambling, you make the run before the pass and 9 times out of 10 you aren't fed it but surely they can work in this in training and agree on movements. I'm not having it that making runs is beyond these players, it has to have more to do with what they see their game as being. But then motd do show example after example. It's not hard is it? There has to be some disorganization, dysfunction, and breakdown of communication for the same attacking patterns to occur but the same sorry sight of no one in the box to finish off passes.

As great as Rashford and Greenwood are, what they don't have that Martial does (and was abundantly clear after he came on in the game) is the ability to hold the ball up and lay it off, which is essential especially when we're setting up to counter attack. Even when he's out of form with his finishing, he still brings a lot to the team with that ability. That's why Ole prefers him through the middle to anyone else.

The weekend results make our result Saturday look a lot better. Crazy to think given the dominant media narratives that if we win our game in hand we'll be ahead of Frank Lampard's Chelsea and 2 points off the top. You could easily see Liverpool v Spurs ending in a draw as well which would see us being able to draw level on points with them both if we win our games. Of course it'd be just like us to drop points against Blades or Leeds and we'll be back in crisis, but one has to hope.