The Man Utd Thread

Good win and a good performance. Van Der Beek was excellent. Ole let them back in with his substitutions. That period when we were under pressure, we had James, Cavani, Greenwood, and Martial on the pitch and were playing 4-2-4. As soon as Matic came on and we went back to 4-2-3-1 with a midfielder in the number 10 position we went back to being in control. 

I liked that line-up. Cavani as a proper centre forward with Martial and Rashford either side worked well. Rashford was effective on the right, to such a degree that it makes me wonder why we've been so obsessed with considering him and Martial as just left wingers. I also think it's entirely possible to play with one defensive number 6 and one who is more offensive-minded, whether that's VDB or Pogba when he finds his form again. I do think the defensive one should probably be Fred, who combines energy with ability to use the ball tidily. 

I can see why we play two defensive midfielders quite often, as neither centre back is quite good enough. Wan Bissaka and Shaw are both very good defensively, but Maguire is very limited and Lindelof loses concentration and sometimes gets outmuscled. 

Also, every interview with Bruno makes me love him more.  :wub:

I thought the first half was encouraging, players seemed closer together, always two options, one touch football from own half up the field. The one that resulted in a through ball to Rashford that was too long for him was great. 

Everyone was fretting about how VDB fits in when he's seen as a secondary striker who gets into positions in the box. I thought he'd score 2 goals in 3 games or something and force his way in that way. 

I think a midfielder who never loses the ball, passes it quickly and can support attack in a way Fred and McTominay refuse to do is exactly what the team needs. Like with Fernandes who did creatively what we wanted Pogba to do, VDB is doing the same in midfield. The De Bruyne comparisons continue, he was seen as a secondary striker (at least to me) then Guardiola brought out his range of passing deeper in midfield. I'd be happy with VDB just keeping the ball though and playing it quick, supporting, I'm not expecting 25 yard wonder strikes, impossible through balls no one else can see and inch perfect crosses from wide. 

Now there's fretting about whether Fred is enough defensive cover. I guess we'll see against top sides how Ole sets up. So hope eventually (against weaker sides) Fernandes can be rested and VDB takes that position with Fred and McTominay behind. 

1 hour ago, Loik V credern said:

Now there's fretting about whether Fred is enough defensive cover. I guess we'll see against top sides how Ole sets up. So hope eventually (against weaker sides) Fernandes can be rested and VDB takes that position with Fred and McTominay behind. 

This is the issue though, right? Because it's against weaker sides that we need the attacking creativity of both Bruno and VdB. Against PSG next week, we'll be crucified if we play with only Fred as defensive cover. We were lucky to get away with only 1 goal conceded yesterday. So I'm not sure how Ole fits everyone we need on the pitch together.