The Man Utd Thread

I've been thinking this for a few weeks now, because journalists were talking about how despite PSG having their most successful season ever, Tuchel is nearing the end there and if they fail to get out of their champions league group I think it's likely he and PSG part ways. If they hire former player Pochettino it's going to be seen as United missing their chance to hire a top manager again. 

That would leave Tuchel available, who I'm less sure of now than after his time at Dortmund. I don't watch Ligue 1, just in the champions league they're often hopeless, disjointed. What emerged last season was a previously unseen team spirit. But it was moments of quality by their star players wasn't it that got them to the final, not cohesive performances. But most teams don't excel in Europe, Madrid have never really impressed under Zidane despite the consecutive wins. Ajax, managed by that other outstanding young manager certainly did impress.. 

Tuchel impressed so much at Dortmund that the most critical football journalists regularly refer to him as a genius. There was a lot of stuff coming out at the time about his unusual training methods, handing non football books to players to expand their thinking. The scientist, the modern coach. 

At PSG it's always about wrestling with egos. 

I don't think United under Ole is ever going to be consistent. They can't be proactive, this game was perfect for United to be on the front foot and overwhelm West Brom. Chances seem to come despite the shape, not because of it. I didn't think this was a 3-0 win scuppered by wonder saves. 

This next month will be fun but the team is so unpredictable I'm not sure what will happen. Despite being top 3 points clear of PSG I wouldn't be surprised to not get through. 

We're above city, 7 points off the top of the table, with a game in hand, so we " could " be 4 points off top.

There is a lot of uncertainty around Ole, this is making him play defensively, players were denied by some good saves yesterday, the team look like they are lacking condidence.

It's not as bad as it seems like it is, and we're definitely getting to the next round of the CL, 4-o on Tuesday, Cavani to start :D

I don't get how being above City means anything. 

We know Rashford and Martial link up well, they're both better when they can play off eachother. Do they do that every time they play together because it increases United's attacking possibilities? No. Why not? We know Fernandes loves to find runs. Do Rashford and Martial often make runs then? No. Why not?

Ole doesn't have a thousand yard stare for no reason. Fernandes isn't visibly frustrated and tired for no reason. 

This wasn't a 4-0 win scuppered by a goalkeeper pulling off wonder saves. You'd think it was entirely one sided the way people are being optimistic. West Brom forced a good save from De Gea using his feet and also hit the bar, then had a possible shot stolen from them by Fernandes being reckless, then a penalty taken away.

Used to win from penalties, now Fernandes' certain method isn't working. Getting lucky an awful lot. 

The team was hopelessly boring for years so maybe this is harsh and having random spurts of penetrative incisive brilliance is better than nothing. But other than not being life drainingly tedious to watch, 2 things I want from the team is: compete against the top sides in big games, and score a load against bottom teams, especially at home. I think overlooking performances in favour of points only works when the team has proven their brilliance consistently and are allowed an off day. If the team wants to progress and challenge for the league, there has to be some recognisable recurring signs of methods and intentions, not just getting stuffy and relying on individual moments of skill. 

Going in a different direction here, anybody heard of Marcus Edwards? used to be at spurs, now at Vit. Guimarães in Portugal...as i hadn't until a couple days ago playing Football Manager and looking for English players!

Now yes, i know that anyone can look good in YouTube collection, and football manager doesn't always get it right...but...the YouTube video seemed to look like the stats!

He's a left footed right winger, the kind of player we really need. Makes me wonder why we didn't go for him instead of Sancho!? yes, im aware Sancho is the "big" name, but when it became apparent we were not going to get him, why not shift target for somebody in a very similar mold

Spoiler

the FM stats -

image.thumb.png.7017771edfe08e952c43dd1f866f21b2.png

the video

I saw videos of Marcus Edwards 4-5 years ago and was excited about him coming through with Pochettino there. Inevitable injury, loan spell and 'attitude' issues most young talents go through. He does look genuinely brilliant, technically as good as Sancho, as confident on the ball, the way he can burst with it 3 yards, stop, pull back. But obviously like Fernandes, Sancho has the assists and goals with bigger team to back it up. Everyone loves Fernandes' winning mentality which seems a requirement at United. There's loads of skillful players. I always thought Willian at Chelsea was excellent. Anyone would watch a compilation video of him and think; why is this guy not talked about more? Or Douglas Costa, Max Rushden recently said; 'I watch him and think he's one of the the best players i think I've ever seen...is it just me?' A player with only 64 goals scored in his career. The most goals scored in a season is...7. Loaned from Bayern to Juventus. Bought by Juventus. Loaned back to Bayern from Juventus. Now 30, those were his peak years. 

There's probably loads of kids in France who don't watch the premier league who catch some compilation videos of Martial and think; wow this guy is amazing, look at those mazy runs, cutting through defences at will, those ice cool finishes, can you imagine how dangerous he must be every game, and he's French and we support a Ligue 1 team, we must buy this guy immediately. 

It's always 'let's buy this player he will give us what we miss'. Why can't we really bring the best out of every player we already have. That Martial was as good as he is now bad end of last compared to this season typifies the schizophrenic nature of the team. I hope Ole and his coaching staff are going into stupid detail running through the reasons why. 

Barney Ronay made me genuinely laugh on football weekly, he's one of a few football writers who has captured the state of football with no fans in the stadium coinciding with the obsession around VAR. So you end up with entire games, Fernandes's entire United career so far defined by penalties, and run ups. It is a temporary situation but to absorb the times and be evocative about it is what Ronay does. 

Writers keep supposing that once fans detach themselves from the habit and expense of going to matches it might be difficult clawing them back. Another worry is when the next coronavirus spreads and this just becomes the norm for football. This is the third coronavirus in the 21st century, and with further encroaching on wild habitats it's not unthinkable there's another in 5/10/15 years. Not that it will necessarily spread as easily. 

Yeah, I think the only thing a bit disappointing about this lineup is the lack of Henderson starting. Will be interesting to see how Donny and Bruno play together.

Hopefully we can be a few goals up by half time so we can give Mengi, Tuanzabe, Pellistri and Williams a decent run out.

Van De Beek seems far more effective on the ball in deep positions than Pogba. Evne under pressure, he moves it on quickly and positively. Still suspect that's not his ideal position, but you want players who are versatile, and aren't a liability if the tactics don't completely suit them.

im watching him with carrageh... hes ...aweful...he is unknowledgeable, bias, and just comes across...well...like the football stereotype as "thick". 

i mean, i never liked him as a player, i thought he was massively overrated, which turned out to be the case with his petering career.

12 minutes ago, Marlowe said:

I know we're 3-0 up but I wish Greenwood would pass it! So much good Cavani movement going to waste.

Yeah, Cavani definitely gets the short straw when we go forward and I don't know why, because his movement is so good. Besides Bruno no one sets him up.