The Man Utd Thread

Fletcher: So Glenn what do make of the tactical battle today?

Glenn: Well Darren, United are going to have to be patient, West Brom are going to sit deep, be difficult to break down. An early goal would help massively for them.

can't wait :hmm:

That's very much like an opening interaction from the commentary from a pro evo game isn't it, so standard. 

This has got 0-0 or West Brom win written all over it. 

Cavani should have started.

I also wouldn't have picked Matic, who has been one of the problems this season. Why not Van Der Beek, Fred, and Fernandes, as we're going to be trying to unlock a blanket defence?

That cushioned pass looked difficult, thought Martial might not be ready. Think Fernandes wasn't clear to shoot, otherwise I was thinking it broke Linekar's rule of 'don't pass when in a shooting position because if you pass you have to get that right, then the shooter too...two things rather than one'. 

Promising to penetrate early with two players relatively in space in the area. 

This is actually a good game. 

6 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

:( it is meant to be a visual jolt. I put it together to have some flow, _some_with the symmetry. 

I've been doing them for 5 years, for all I know they've just been secretly annoying everyone. 

could be a me thing, as i get migraines.

i like your photography, but not your avatar lol

12 minutes ago, Gabzy said:

I have to criticise Ole here, playing with 2 holding midfielders at home to West Brom? And then surprise surprise, 0-0 at half time.

yup, Donny and Mr Clinical(Edi) need to come on!

The game is sort of open, the semi long on the ground balls are quick and intended but still hopeful. 

I don't know why United don't commit numbers in attack and push up. Other than being permanently wedded to a counter attack game. West Brom aren't sat back, there's no vast numbers in the box to break through. 

Ole looks petrified in his seat. It's just West Brom, we're not down by 2 goals. Just push up in numbers, and support attacks. I don't understand the reluctance. Obviously not the defenders, like that suicide Ba goal, but one of Matic, Fred certainly. The full backs too, depending. Whatever, I'm not tactically minded. 

I have no idea if that's a penalty or not these days. Fernandes got the ball and nicked it away well before the contact. There was more contact to the shin, definitely firmer contact with the West Brom player's shin than with the ball.  However, arguably the contact came more as a result of the attacker flicking his leg out as he fell.

That's a good point they've made on BT Sport just now regarding the West Brom penalty.  While it looks to me like Bruno got the ball first, it's not obvious enough to overturn the original decision.  If it hadn't been given as a penalty on the pitch and then reviewed, it shouldn't be overturned, and the same is true this way round.  Once it was given it should have stood.

Really weird game.  Objectively I'm glad we won, but I don't feel good about it at all.  They're showing other things we got away with - a red card for Maguire, and a foul in the build up to our goal.  We were so lucky, and against one of the two completely hopeless teams in the league.