The Man Utd Thread

jesus fucking wept, who the fuck set that up!?

Thats an abysmal set up for a corner, there should ALWAYS be at least one back!

edit: no fuck that, the fullbacks, should be back! both. That was sheer tactical ineptitude

edit edit: tuanzebe and lindelof need to start, they are both faster, tuanzebe alot, than maguire

dont really get those subs either.

Donny was having  a great game.

Should have switched into a 433 with cavani in the mid, rashford left, and greenwood right. donny scvot and bruno in mid, and lindelof on if axel was off for the yellow, as he was having a good game too!

That was an example of classic Cavani a few minutes ago. An corner for us is cleared, they break, and Cavani is the quickest back to pick up the loose ball from Matic's clearance. 

Not sure what he was doing with that weird penalty shout, though. 

fucking garbage from start to finish.

wrong selection, wrong subs, bad tactics. really. all oles falt. i dont liek saying it, but it was.

Edi needs to start, he works a fuck load harder than tony. Him in the middle, mason and marcus either side. Donny looked great in central mid, maybe it should be him, bruno and scotty! and harry, harry can fuck off.

He aint been right since the "incident" he needs a break and to be out of the limelight, this also underlined his utter lack of pace! Axel and lindelof to start!

its so odd, as he normally gets it so right against the big clubs!? but, against the teams we "should" beat...based on beating "better teams" we dont! and really, that comes from him...I really think we need some better coaches as well.

If Poch is up for it. So am I. 

I like Ole, I really do and I'm happy with what he's brought in thus far (what he could). I thought this after his appointment -that he will do a decent job, but we will need a Poch character to get to the level we believe we should. 

Alternatively Poch could turn out to just be shit and we're destined for decades of obscurity.

Two games ago we had just won 5-0 away from home against the team top of the Bundesliga and were posting pro-Ole gifs.  Lets not lurch so far the other way so fast. 

God alone knows why we are so inconsistent.  There have been times where we've scored famous victories largely because of the way Ole set the team up, and others where it looks like he hasn't told them what the plan is.  It's very odd.  He does have the habit, when we perform well in one particular match with one system, of then playing that same system for a few games afterwards even though the situation is completely different.  There are obvious problems with the diamond - it relies on the full-backs to provide width, and ours aren't great going forward.  It should have been ditched after the Liepzig match, even though it worked well there.  It worked well because everything went our way in the first half and we got that first goal, mainly because of brilliance from one player, Greenwood.  4-3-3 is more effective for us, even if it means playing Scotty, Fred and Bruno in midfield and Pogba and Matic have to sit on the bench.  Restore the front three, give Bruno the freedom to provide the ammunition for them.  Stop trying to force square pegs into round holes or thirteen players into a first eleven.  

I remember Keane said the players threw Jose under the bus and would do the same to Ole, I’m almost starting to believe he was right. It just boggles the mind how we can beat the best teams but fail to perform when we face mid table clubs :wacko:

For a few weeks I've been saying I want more to support in attack, but not every defender. No central defender. Never seen a last minute goal scored like that in the 13th minute before. 

Funny from Jonathan Liew:

There is a surreal cinematic quality to the chase: the injury-plagued 35-year-old Ba being hunted down by the leaden 32-year-old Matic, an ice-cream van being chased by a milk float. Were it not for events in the United States, this would comfortably have been the slowest race of the week: early projections putting Ba in the lead, and yet Matic doggedly insisting that every step be run before a winner is called. 

It is so bizarre how the team can look so switched on and composed in some games then in others appear like they've lost sense of their duties. Again, another one for the guardian's football history division, that place where someone asks; has this ever happened before? Wherever it is on the site, I can't find it now. Has there ever been a more up and down team? When Pochettino turns up on sky to remind everyone he's still here the last thing you want your team to do is be so comical.

The inability to break down teams sat back is so predictably tedious, but not something only United have struggled with. It's like some age old problem. Occasional cross that's easily cleared, or a lame one two on the edge of the box where the second pass doesn't reach. Sometimes the first pass doesn't either. No one shoots centrally from 20/25 yards. Occassionly, after 20 minutes of nothing I'd like the ball to be shifted out wide then moved inside with the intention of Fernandes or Pogba picking it up and immediately going for the far corner. Exactly the same as Felix for Athletico the other night. Neither Fernandes or Pogba shoot enough, should be 2 times a game at least. There was a stat that showed that in the champions league over the years players are taking less shots from further out. 

Football is so repetitive and predictable, you see the same patterns of play over and over. You watch the clock tick down and think at least execute some of these patterns with intent or you're never going to score. Out wide they try the one two but then there's no one running near post to receive the low cross. You think the team must know this problem of creating chances in little space, Phelan must know it, Ole, Carrick, all the staff. And they must be like: right! Let's set up training today and every day forever committing to these movements in unison, lets at least have some collective order. When a game ends like that Rashford should be a predatory fox in the box and it doesn't feel like he is. Pogba should be in there with his height and rarely is it used. Fernandes ready to take a shot at 25 yards. McTominay and Fred well up there to dispossess immediately. The one time there needs to be 4 in the box in the last 25 minutes and instead it's the 13th minute at 0-0 when they risk everything to have bodies in there when there's no certainty a cross is even coming. 

Its not just the inability to break down teams. It's also shit passing, shit defending and giving the ball away over and over again. The difference between City and Liverpool and us, is that even though they are having a bad day they still manage to nick a win or at least get a draw because of the effort put in by the players. When we beat PSG and Leipzig we looked like the best team in Europe, and then we look like a mid table club fighting relegation. I just dont understand how players can play so well and then be so crap. 

And whats going on in the dressing room? Mourinho called Pogba a virus, whatever happened there? At the time I thought it was just Mourinho being salty but clearly there was something he didn't like and didn't tolerate. Mourinho is sometimes viewed as arrogant, but he is considered a thoughtful manager who really cares about his team and his players (as we witnessed during the Materazzi thing) 

Do players have too much power in modern football...is that it? A player like Pogba (dont mean to single out Pogba here) brings in a lot of extra income due to merchandise and sponsorship's, so how does this affect the managers ability to sanction players? Mourinho famously said that finishing second is his career's biggest achievement

and I can totally see why. Pochettino will be our 6th manager since Fergie, and I just dont understand how the board thinks hes going to do better than Mourinho (or Ole for that matter) 

/rant over

The Pogbs virus thing is just from a 'source'. Seeing how Mourinho approached Dele in training in the spurs documentary I can believe he said it but still it's unnecessarily vicious negative language. I think Pogba is a happy positive guy around the club. His playing style is also often slow and languid and I don't think he cares that much to drive his performances on. Maybe he's similar in style to Yaya Toure but he showed way more of his brilliant technique, either on the ball or shooting. He also used to go on surging runs. He didn't win the world cup with his national team though and wasn't a world record signing. I think the only part of Pogba that is world class is his long through balls that he occassionly does. He's not earned his status imo. 

We can't just overlook that it's different with Man United in how the media portray things. There were recently stories about Ole and Fernandes falling out which had no truth to it, then Ole insisting Greenwood has never been late.

Mourinho might have been more right than wrong about Pogba and Shaw but the way he went about it made it worse. I just think..you're meant to be one of the best managers of the 21st century, if you can't teach and improve these players the failure is on you. The saying 'a good craftsman never blames his tools' still applies for me because football is not that complicated and these are still professionals playing at the highest level where many never made it. 

Do you really not think Pochettino would do better than Mourinho? Mourinho is on the decline, Pochettino hasn't yet achieved his best yet. What he did with no signings for years was very impressive, no? I was an instant fan of Pochettino when he arrived at Southampton. He set up his team to be really intense vs United and it showed a different approach to how most coaches manage expectations with lesser premier league teams. He had his team confident they could win (possibly at Old Trafford too, before 2013 when everyone started winning) so while we had Moyes saying 'City is where we should aspire to be' (despite United being champions) at the time I was saying; Pochettino has achieved more in 6 months than Moyes has in years at Everton. 

It's probably likely though that Mourinho wins a cup with spurs this season, maybe Europa League while challenging for the league. Kane is the best premier league player this season i think and Son is as good as ever. Pochettino sought to move Spurs up among Europe's greats and bypass domestic trophies. Had they been in the Europa league when it was weaker instead of the champions league I think they'd have probably won it. 

Journalists think that if PSG fail to get out of the group then Tuchel is sacked. He's just had their most successful season ever so it's hard to let him go. But it might be that we could get Pochettino but by beating PSG at home (not unlikely) means they fail to get out of the group, Tuchel is sacked and Pochettino goes there. Which would be better for him for guaranteed trophies. Although it would mean we could get Tuchel, who probably impressed more than Pochettino early on but now I'm not sure. In Europe despite the run I expected better flowing football. 

Ole has given United the biggest highs since Ferguson. Any new manager comes in I will be comparing the Man City and PSG performances. What I want more than anything, other than Bielsa, is high intensity, pressing, attacking in numbers. Ole hasn't ostracized players, has bought mostly well, and brought through some youth. 

Great post @Loik V credern I'm all out of upvotes so you cant have any :/

if you can't teach and improve these players the failure is on you. 

Well, yes and no. These players make more money in a year than most people will in a lifetime, they are professionals and they should be responsible for their own progression. A manager improving players is something that belongs in the championship. If the manager can motivate his players then that's great, but it shouldn't be his responsibility. I feel that players today are different....with a few exceptions like Bruno. You can see his work ethic, and you can see that he cares when hes on the pitch. Other players on the other hand doesn't seem to give a toss. Suffer a horrible loss? Post Instagram stories about cars, "funny bits" and maybe pictures taken on a private jet. (Yes, I'm being a grumpy old fart....I admit it :blah:)

Imagine Cantona or Keane in this team......I cant. 

Do you really not think Pochettino would do better than Mourinho? Mourinho is on the decline, Pochettino hasn't yet achieved his best yet

Who knows? I doubt he will do better unless he gets all his key signings. There will be a honeymoon period with some nice results, and then after more poor transfer windows the wheels will come off. His results at Tottenham were somewhat impressive, but he didn't win anything. His best result (PL>CL)was finishing second when City was 4th and Liverpool finished 8th. He wont stand a chance against Liverpool or City today...unless he can secure top top players. And lets not forget he never did particularly well against the big teams. In fact that's where he failed. 

There's too much emphasis on managers these days. You simply cant compete if you dont have a complete team with a bench strong enough to prevent a noticeable drop in performance when someone on the first team is out. Tactics wont matter if you lack squad depth and players with the skills and finesse required to win the league. The manager provides the tactics, the coaching staff the technical stuff, and the players perform. The performance is on the players, and the players alone. A team can lose due to poor team selection and bad tactics, but bad performance is always on the players. 

I hope Pochettino will win the league when he takes over, but I'm 95% sure he wont. As for Mourinho, I dont think hes on the decline. He might be, but I dont think he is. I fear that a new manager just means another 2-3-4 years of hope that eventually is crushed due to our shit owners.