The Man Utd Thread

2 hours ago, spork said:

Going to be a busy week with all of this going on. Can't wait until it's over and see that nothing has actually happened.

Transfer windows should be like the days before Christmas where you expect presents, but as a united fan its like the days before you find out your spouse been cheating on you. 

There's also the possibility of Dan James on loan to Leeds. I hope that one does go through, as a guy like Bielza could improve him no end. I think he's got a lot of potential, and isn't really being used effectively at United. 

Smalling and Romero we should let go according to their own wishes, as they have surely earned more than enough goodwill to not stand in their way as they look for first team football. I'm genuinely surprised more teams haven't looked at Romero, as several have goalkeeping problems and he's an excellent keeper. I would guess his distribution is holding him back as the current vogue is for keepers who are good with their feet, and he tends to slice every clearance out for a throw-in. 

I don't know what's going on with Dalot. He was considered to be the best full-back prospect in Europe when we signed him, but he's never looked brilliant. I think he's better than Fosu-Mensa personally, but who knows? 

Pereira is hopeless and I'd drive him to Lazio myself if it was required. He's a strange one - he has the ability to play those nice-looking passes, or smash long-range bangers, but his decision making and vision are atrocious. He never sees the pass, always plays the wrong one. He shoots when he's being closed down and several players are in better positions. He actively makes us worse when he plays, and nullifies our attack. Quite the thing for a number ten. He still might become a decent player if he learns how to play the right passes. He's got time on his side. I'd rather he was learning somewhere else though. 

It would be quite the United thing to do if we end up letting all these players go and getting no-one in, or spunking £400,000 a week on Cavani's wages while he spends the whole season injured. Then Bailly and Maguire get injured and Jones plays the whole season, racking up a record number of own goals and funny-face memes. 

3 hours ago, JPL said:

Why have they left it til now? Pure incompetence?

I don’t really need to ask, do I?

i read it could be summit to to do with quarterly financials... as oct 1st would be a different quarter...yep...

2 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

There's also the possibility of Dan James on loan to Leeds. I hope that one does go through, as a guy like Bielza could improve him no end. I think he's got a lot of potential, and isn't really being used effectively at United. 

I can't imagine Leeds would do that without the option to buy after the Ben White saga. I've no doubt Bielsa would improve him like he has Harrison and Costa. 

So, does anyone have any thoughts on a possible move for Ousmane Dembele instead of Sancho?

I have a few.  The first one is "fuck off."  The rest are along the same lines.  A guy who's never had any end product, who played once so far in 2020, who turns up late for training all the time and has a shit attitude, and who would probably be hugely expensive simply because Barcelona paid so much for him three years ago.  In those three years, by the way, he's scored 12 goals.

13 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

So, does anyone have any thoughts on a possible move for Ousmane Dembele instead of Sancho?

I have a few.  The first one is "fuck off."  The rest are along the same lines.  A guy who's never had any end product, who played once so far in 2020, who turns up late for training all the time and has a shit attitude, and who would probably be hugely expensive simply because Barcelona paid so much for him three years ago.  In those three years, by the way, he's scored 12 goals.

Smokescreen! Days before Maguire signed we were apparently in for Alderweird or however you spell his name. Days before AWB signed we were apparently in for Max Aarons.

Days before Sancho signs we're apparently in for Dembele. Sancho was absent from their cup game against Bayern today. Allegedly with a mysterious illness which isn't Covid. How convenient :sherlock:

But yeah, were going to end up with no signings aren't we?

Not sure how I'll feel if we do just get Sancho and wind up paying exactly what Dortmund asked for in the first place.

On one hand - great.. we get a really fucking good player.

On the other - seriously.. we piss and moan about Dortmunds price, fanny about for months and then just pay exactly what we should've at the start of the window. If we had, Sancho would have been integrated into the group more and been ready to roll for the season. 

Urgh.

I think Sarr is the most likely signing, as the window for domestic transfers closes later than the European one, doesn't it? I imagine we will sign Sarr for £40m+ despite him not really ever having done anything of note apart from that one game against Liverpool. We will spend the next few years talking about how we know he's been terrible so far, but if we can unlock his potential he might still come good, before eventually selling him to Inter for £9m.

He'll then be amazing for Inter. 

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

I think Sarr is the most likely signing, as the window for domestic transfers closes later than the European one, doesn't it? I imagine we will sign Sarr for £40m+ despite him not really ever having done anything of note apart from that one game against Liverpool. We will spend the next few years talking about how we know he's been terrible so far, but if we can unlock his potential he might still come good, before eventually selling him to Inter for £9m.

He'll then be amazing for Inter. 

Nailed it.